Yeah, I'm totally embarassed I don't know how to do this, but I need to be sure....I don't want to risk blowing up my amp.

I own an ENGL blackmore, and I'm about to purchase a Framus 2x12 with vintage 30s.

Amp manual: http://www.engl-amps.com/manuals/E650-II-om.pdf
cab im about to buy: http://www.thomann.de/nl/framus_fr212_cb.htm

I need to be absolutely sure I can use this cabinet with my amp before purchasing, and if I can...how do I hook them up?

As you can see the amp has 2x4, 2x8 and 1x16 outputs but it sais you can also use 1x8....which I think this cabinet needs.

Help?
WTLTL 2011
get a speaker cable and plug in from the cab into the 8 ohm slot in the back at the amp :P
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
that's so you can hook up 2 cabs, either slot should be find i believe but I'm not 100%
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
yeh, thats where I need to be sure. Imagine hooking it up wrong...BOOM
WTLTL 2011
Whilst I'm at it, don't buy that cab. It won't do your ENGL justice look in these cabs

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/76561
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ppc212-2x12/8184
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto2x12H-LG.htm

Also look into Vader and Diezel 2x12's
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
For the money they kick ass, I'd rather invest in a better cab considering the head cost him and arm and a leg
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Please lets keep this a "how to" thread, and not a "which cab" thread. Yes I do realise there are much better options out there. Those you suggested cost 2 to 3x as much as the framus though, and I don't have money growing from my ears to purchase whatever I please.

I've already had this amp for 2 months now, and I really lack the patience to save up for another 2 months to buy a more expensive cabinet. 2 months wait without a cab to play on has been pretty brutal... (I had nightmares)

The framus is decent, and the vintage 30s are nice. It is a good cabinet for the money, which is why I'm getting this cabinet.

Now....back on topic please? I take it the ENGL can be hooked up the framus? That only leaves how to do it..there are 2 8 Ohm output jacks and I'm assuming there is only 1 8 ohm input jack on the cab.

Do I run a cable from the left 8 ohm output on the amp to the input on the cab?

ps. I actually got a really good deal on the amp. They go for around 1500 euro new, but I got mine for 850 used.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 26, 2008,
make sure the ohms match, it doesnt matter which input they go into. Dont ever turn it on without having them connected.
I just read the following on the framus cab:

FR 212 CB
The FR 212 CB is the perfect supplement to the Framus Ruby Top and plays confidently and appealingly the pure valve sound of this Top. Of course, this 2 x 12" Extension Box with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers can be combined also with other Tops/Combos.

* Power rating: 120 watts
* 8 ohms
* 106dB
* 2 x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker (power rating 60W, 16 ohms, 100dB, frequency range 70-5000Hz, resonant frequency 75Hz)
* Speaker parallel connected
* 17 mm plywood housing
* Weight: 22 kg
* Dimensions (W/H/D): 0,76 x 0,47 x 0,28 m
* Made in Germany

Does this mean I will need 2 speaker cables? (parralel connected) If yes....then I'd be using both the 8 ohm outputs for the 2x16 ohm sockets.

right?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
I just read the following on the framus cab:

FR 212 CB
The FR 212 CB is the perfect supplement to the Framus Ruby Top and plays confidently and appealingly the pure valve sound of this Top. Of course, this 2 x 12" Extension Box with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers can be combined also with other Tops/Combos.

* Power rating: 120 watts
* 8 ohms
* 106dB
* 2 x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker (power rating 60W, 16 ohms, 100dB, frequency range 70-5000Hz, resonant frequency 75Hz)
* Speaker parallel connected
* 17 mm plywood housing
* Weight: 22 kg
* Dimensions (W/H/D): 0,76 x 0,47 x 0,28 m
* Made in Germany

Does this mean I will need 2 speaker cables? (parralel connected) If yes....then I'd be using both the 8 ohm outputs for the 2x16 ohm sockets.

right?

I'm pretty sure that it will just be one 8 ohms output, the speakers are run in parallel, which means that together they need 8 ohms.
Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Evo XM with EMG 81/85
Epiphone Stratocaster
Eastman AC120 Dreadnought
Martin Backpacker
Squire P-Bass
Kala Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
If the cab is a single 8 Ohms which I think it is then plug that into either of the outputs labelled #26 in the manual, the 8 Ohms Parallel outputs.

"26 - Poweramp Output 8 ohms parallel: 8 ohms speaker output jacks, internal parallel signal
path for the connection of one 8 ohms cabinet or two 16 ohms speaker cabinets."
Last edited by treagar at Oct 26, 2008,
When the spec says parallel connected it means the speakers are internally wired in parallel. 2 X 16 ohms in parallel = 8ohms. You need to use one of the 8 ohm outputs of your amp.
If you bought another 8 ohm 2 X 12 twelve you could use the other output to conntect it.
I see, so I just need 1 speaker cable. Does it matter which of the 2 8 ohm outputs I use?
WTLTL 2011
Am i wrong about suggesting a 'better' cab guys?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
No I would not say you are. That's a pretty cheap looking 2x12, though I couldn't comment on the cab itself as I've never played one. If it's only (about) $400 US, I imagine that it could be an MDF cabinet, or at least one with relatively poor construction (cheap cabs from commercial manufacturers tend to be like that, especially if the speakers themselves are worth nearly the price of the entire loaded cab)
Oh thats a cab to compliment the Ruby? Noooo, don't get it. It's a classic rock and clean cab. it doesnt have that tight bass and full sound that the other framus cabs have. It wont do you amp any justice because its not suited for metal, period..

if you go framus i would look into the cabs that compliment their cobra's or dragon's..
Dude think about it.

Whats a parallel circuit with light bulbs?

Battery----Lightbulb----Lightbulb---back to battery
               \---------/ \-----------/  

It doesn't matter if the middle bulb burns out because the second bulb has a clear path of power.

SAME SHIT WITH CABS!