I've been playing for a few years now, but don't really have a lot of technical knowledge on the guitar itself. I have 3 guitars, and have decided to re-do, or customize an old dearmond guitar i got when i was just a kid. All though probably not worth it, (and definitly not worth sending to a luthier) it was my first guitar, and i would like to make it a little more um, capable....

That being said, any mods to it would be useless if i can't find a way to shave its thick neck, i find it rather uncomfortable to play, especially when i compare it to the Wizard 2 on my ibanez. Is there a way for me to shave it down, to a thinner depth, without messing up intonation, or without hitting the vein?

last thing i want to do, is dammage the neck to the point where it detunes, and buzzes every time its picked up, i don't want to end up replacing the original neck i started out with...

Thanks.
spoke sheve and then sand it
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Unless you know how deep the truss rod channel goes, I wouldn't.

It would be pretty easy to sand through the wood and be left with an exposed truss rod, which will tear out.

You can shave the sides, to make it more like a V rather than a U, then it will feel smaller, in a way.

You could drill pilot holes along the "spine" of the neck, to see how deep it goes if you want.

I wouldn't attempt this unless you know how much wood you have to work with.

EDIT:
Quote by WattsyBoy97
spoke sheve and then sand it

No, don't do that.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
How could shaving the neck possible mess up intonation?

Shaving wood off will make the neck less strong and bend more, so you'll need to tighten the truss rod more. As long as you don't go too far, it'll be fine. What's too far? Dunno. Would depend on the wood, truss rod, gauge of strings you use, etc.

edit: also, the poster above me is right.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah, so unless you know how much room you have (how much wood behind the truss rod), don't do it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
say i know the amount of wood i have to work with, is there any preferred way to shave it, or is it kinda just "if it works..."?
I'd take it really slow. Sand a few mm off with the gritty stuff, then with the fine stuff make it smooth. Let it sit an hour, see how much the neck bows, correct it with truss rod then repeat.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
lol i actually tried to save down my old guitar neck in school wht i did was roughly estamate where the trussrod is and mark it our( the marking i didnt do XD) buy a electric sander i used my schools one it had errr around 60 grit on them i went over the neck sandding from top of the neck to the bottom for roughly 10-20 secs then look if roughly ok of not then electric sand it for a further 10-20 sec if yes then move to 2000 grit

i would suggest checking every 20 secs hope this helped ...woot first post
That's not even English, and it's a bad idea, because once he's gone too far, he's screwed.

Also, it's the seventh post.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
sorry about thar i was pretty hammerd when posting that one but it worked for me and i seriously think its the best thing to do if the neck is cheap
Yeah, but if he goes to far, he's ruined the neck.

Read. ****.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
The only way to be 100% certain on the location of the TR is to x-ray the side of the neck. Most necks that are properly installed with a TR will have a 300'' dia. bend to the rod where the 7th to 9th fret will be the closest to the back surface of the neck. Single rod Gibson style that is.
Last edited by dishawcues at Oct 27, 2008,
wow xray whos going to do that..........also my idea actually worked!!!!! when i find my camera i will post a pic or something
Hey if your friendly with your dentist or a doctor or even a TSA guy at the airport, I've done it may times trying to identify a pool cue builder who puts his cues together with a very specific connecting rod. If a collector pays $15,000 for a original Belabuska cue, they go the extra mile.
But your right who wants to do that with a inexpensive guitar.
Quote by ibanezel
wow xray whos going to do that..........also my idea actually worked!!!!! when i find my camera i will post a pic or something

I'm glad your idea worked, that's wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with you.

I'm telling you that is you go too far, there is no going back. You have no way of knowing what too far is, so it is not a good method.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo