Page 1 of 2
So, I was thinking of getting a bass ... and although I dont really like Fall Out Boy very much, or Pete Wentz for that matter, I saw this bass and thought it looks amazing. So what do you think; good or bad? (dont take into account that it's Pete Wentz's by the way, i want a fair answer...)

Specs:
Superb Artist Series Precision Bass with Punk looks and growling tone
Agathis, Precision Bass Body
Maple C-Shape, Jazz Bass Neck, (Polyurethane Finish)
Maple Fingerboard, 9.5 inches radius (241mm)
20 Medium Jumbo Frets
1 Duncan Designed PB-105 Split Single-Coil Pickup
Controls: Volume
Pickup Switching: None
Standard 4-Saddle Bridge
Standard Open-Gear Tuners
Chrome Hardware
3-Ply Red Shell Pickguard
34.00 inches (864 mm) Scale Length
1.500 inches (38 mm) Width at Nut
Unique features include Black Dot Position Inlays with Black Bat/Diamond Inlay at the 12th Fret, Red Bat/Heart Graphic on Body, Separate Laminated Maple Fingerboard, Rolled Fingerboard Edges, Signature on Back of Headstock
Attachments:
pete.jpg
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Volume control.

ONE VOLUME CONTROL.

You will have no versatility whatever with it.

ill be using it for punk and grunge...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3

It has no tone knob the other posts below will add more disadvantages.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
To be honest you could just get a squire VM p-bass and have a tone knob.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
It seems like a pretty good started bass. I had a squier P - Bass that I literally took to hell and back with me and it held up just fine. They can't take a beating even though they arent the greatest sounding instruments ever made.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by oz_bassist

It has no tone knob the other posts below will add more disadvantages.

you are psychic?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
To be honest you could just get a squire VM p-bass and have a tone knob.

i could ... but the pete wentz bass looks very sexy
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Squire Vintage Modified Jazz bass, Yamaha BB414, Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio. All in the same price range and all better basses than that Pete Wentz bass. Why should you pay for a famous name?

Oh yeah - a good looking bass dosen't automatically make it a good one.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
what a failure of an instrument, it's completely designed and engineered to rob idiots of their money.
Quote by GangsterLi

The only things that are different are the fall out boy logos on it, and you said you don't like them. You can replace a pickguard easily.
Quote by tona_107
what a failure of an instrument, it's completely designed and engineered to rob idiots of their money.

isnt everything? and tbh i am an idiot
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
So, I was thinking of getting a bass ... and although I dont really like Fall Out Boy very much, or Pete Wentz for that matter, I saw this bass and thought it looks amazing. So what do you think; good or bad? (dont take into account that it's Pete Wentz's by the way, i want a fair answer...)

Specs:
20 Medium Jumbo Frets
Standard 4-Saddle Bridge
Chrome Hardware
Unique features include Black Dot Position Inlays with Black Bat/Diamond Inlay at the 12th Fret, Red Bat/Heart Graphic on Body, Separate Laminated Maple Fingerboard, Rolled Fingerboard Edges, Signature on Back of Headstock

i don't know. just curious, what makes you want this over just a normal squier?

Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by GangsterLi

due to the fact that you are an idiot, you should probably go ahead and get it.
You only have a volume knob on that thing. The only thing changing your tone is your amplifier, and your bass will just sound bad without having it's own tonal range coming from a tone knob. Get a squire VM-P bass, the Pete Wentz bass may look better, but really, looks don't matter at all for an instrument.
DB Player
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
The only things that are different are the fall out boy logos on it, and you said you don't like them. You can replace a pickguard easily.

and the maple neck
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Im not really big on bass but I do know that you can probably get a better prescision bass then that standard and then modify its looks to look like this bass, because it seems like the only reason you want this is the look. Get a black bass, switch the pickguard to a red one and maybe get creative and put your own graphic on it. idk.
Quote by GangsterLi

Specs:
20 Medium Jumbo Frets
Standard 4-Saddle Bridge
Chrome Hardware

lol

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Frankly, I think you'd be better off getting a used Black MIM Precision Bass and slapping a red pickguard on it. You'd have the look you want and something that actually sounded decent. Oh yes, and it has a tone knob, and extra added plus.
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs

lol, you're witty. but don't bother, i'm sure he likes FoB, he's guilty of it, look at his sig. and TS if you really like em you should really be proud in your taste of music. nothin' to be ashamed of.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
lol, you're witty. but don't bother, i'm sure he likes FoB, he's guilty of it, look at his sig. and TS if you really like em you should really be proud in your taste of music. nothin' to be ashamed of.

i dont really like em, but my brother does have their albums and i did like their first one
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
and the maple neck

Squier website says the VM P-bass has a maple neck...
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Squier website says the VM P-bass has a maple neck...

But I don't believe they come in black.
Quote by anarkee
But I don't believe they come in black.

do you think i should buy the Precision Special Squier, replace the neck for a maple one and go all "arty" on it?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
You need to be careful with neck replacements- squiers may not have the same dimensions as Fender necks, which may well cause problems when replacing it. There's a fair bit of variation between Fender and Fender copies, with neck dimensions, cavity routing, screw placements etc. If you can find a Squier specific neck replacement, go for it. If not, do some research.
No...I think you ought to look for a MIM Fender Precision bass. You can get them for 200 USD used. If you read the post I did above that was my recommendation . You'd have a much better bass to go all art-y on and mod.
Don't mean to cause offence to the TS but I've seen this a million times before. A kid starts banging on about how much he wants this basss and when other members persuade him to get another better bass, he turns round and starts banging on about how nice it is to play and how good it sounds (even though he's never played the bass). But - after 15 minutes he will change his mind and say he's buying a different bass and this will go on and on until he's changed his mind 500 times. After 6 months or so, he will either a) Not buy any bass (he didn't have the money in the first place) or b) Buy something that nobody mentioned before and announce it's his dream bass etc.

Sorry TS but I get the impression you'll start another 3,000 topics about what you think of this bass.

EDIT: Forgot - the TS will bump the thread every 5 minutes.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Last edited by Stan_da_man at Oct 26, 2008,
Please for the love of God, DO NOT BUY THAT BASS!!! You could easily pick up a squier vm jazz or precision for about $280 and the quality would be a million times better than that bass!
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321500543# Unless I've got the wrong bass, it already has a maple neck, as did every p-bass I looked at on that website...

oh yh, thanks for pointing that out :P
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by anarkee
No...I think you ought to look for a MIM Fender Precision bass. You can get them for 200 USD used. If you read the post I did above that was my recommendation . You'd have a much better bass to go all art-y on and mod.

oh sorry, thanks :P
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Get a better bass, don't go on looks. Tone/quality first, looks second.
The Pete Wentz signature actually sounds very dull and has hardly any treble or mids to the tone. Doesn't give you anywhere NEAR the tone he gets, which isn't anything special in the first place. Will you be playing this bass mostly with a pick? If so, I'm going to daringly suggest a thunderbird. They sound alrigt with picks, but very muddy with fingers. Also, try the new Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by guylee
sounds like your mind is already made up, so why are you asking us?

Threads like this are almost as annoying as threads along the lines of "i've just ordered this amp/bass/effect online, what do you guys think?"

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i don't think it's that stupid. i mean if you're thinking of getting a bass and you don't know what you want because you dont know whats good and what isn't, then why not ask the community?

I'm definitely NOT just defending him because I've started a topic like this before (except with a douglas 5-string. Screw pete wentz)
Ok there are a three differences.

1) The Necks.
The VM has a P-bass neck,with a rosewood fingerboard.

The Wentz sig has a Jazz neck with a maple fingerboard.

2) The pick-ups are different.
The VM uses the PB101, which is a made for the vintage P-bass sound. (Duh, Vintage Modified)

The Wentz Sig uses the PB105, which is for all intensive purposes a watered down SD Quarter Pounder, which gives it a more agressive tone.

3) A tone control.

This one is pretty obvious

All other differences are cosmetic. Same wood, same hardware, built in India.

I don't like that it doesn't have a tone knob, but I will vouch for it quality wise.

If you value the maple fingerboard, maple neck and more agressive pickup over a tone knob, go for it.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 26, 2008,
Page 1 of 2