Hi guys, I'm sure you get this question a lot. but here it is anyway

I'm getting a new amp soon and i need some advice

i have virtually no idea about tone and stuff so you're going to need to help me out as to what amp i should get according to the style of music i play and my guitar

My budget is around £200 but i'd like to keep it abit lower than that

my guitar is a standard fender strat, (couple years old) and up until now i've had a micro marshall amp and a microhpone amp (haha) so i'm in need of some serious tuition.

i play mostly rock and blues stuff, but i'd like the amp to be versatile enough to handle other styles aswell. i love slash's tone in guns n roses, and i've been tempted to get a marshall. but when my friend bout a marshall practice amp it was awful so he took it back. and plus; slash has his amps custom.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. more a practice amp than anything else
thanks
Last edited by shades_of_night at Oct 26, 2008,
Well he likely had a lower class marshall like an avt or an mg. They aren't even produced by Marshall and are suck all around. If you want a real marshall itll cost more than 200 pounds.. it's worth it.

But for you, I would recommend.. hmmm.

i dont know since you live in the uk but maybe some kind of laney equivalent of a classic 30
if i am willing to spend more than 200 pounds could you recommend a good marshall?
(and maybe some effects i should buy to enhance the tone)
Last edited by shades_of_night at Oct 26, 2008,
Maybe a used JCM800?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
for about 200 euros, id say you can get a really good modelling amp like one of these:

Roland Cube - for Metal
Peavey Vypyr - in Between
Vox Valvetronix - for Cleans

these will allow you to explore a wide variety of tones and has tons of effects to dial as you wish. i have heard good things about all these amps and you can't go wrong with either.

however if you wish to choose a tube amp...then ask someone else ahha cuz ive done my research on modellers but have no idea on tubes.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Laney VC15

This.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
This.

This.

youre only £50 short but think in the long run, you could spend £200 on an amp now and grow out of it in 6 months when you'd have to spend more anyway.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by shades_of_night
but the output transformer in laney vc15 blows after a year, so whats the point in that?

...sorry?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by shades_of_night
but the output transformer in laney vc15 blows after a year, so whats the point in that?

it does if you disconnect the speaker and try and run it, connect and extension cab with the wrong impedance or put it in the bath

but then again that applies to most amps
Quote by shades_of_night
apprently it overheats aswell?

i've had nothing like that
Quote by shades_of_night
apprently it overheats aswell?

Go ask some questions over in the laney thread, you seem to have been heavily misguided. There were reports of some VCs going wrong but i know for a fact these issues (which were still not definitive as many people went years without the issue) have now been resolved.
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.