I borrowed a strat style guitar from a friend and i thought i'd restring it because they were really rusty. After i'd put them on though and tuned it up, the bridge lifted as if the tension was too much. Now, the bridge looks as if the strings are pulling it upwards, what's the problem?
easy fix go to the back of the guitar. take off the back plate and adjust the two screws connected to the plate with the springs until its level.
u dint happen to move up a gauge or two did u?
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by doubtfull
I borrowed a strat style guitar from a friend and i thought i'd restring it because they were really rusty. After i'd put them on though and tuned it up, the bridge lifted as if the tension was too much. Now, the bridge looks as if the strings are pulling it upwards, what's the problem?
Check out Jenny's Setup Sticky, now with pics! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

open up the back and re place the springs to create greater tension me thinks
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by gstacey1
easy fix go to the back of the guitar. take off the back plate and adjust the two screws connected to the plate with the springs until its level.

+1

tighten the springs, then retune, tighten ,retune, until the bridge sits level
Quote by gstacey1

perfect, thank you.

and nope, i used .10s like i always do.
First of all, hi everybody.
I just registered here and i hope to take part in all the discussions.
I'm a very busy guy but i'll do my best to pop in for at least few minutes everyday day.

Sorry if it was asked before but i literally don't have time to read through all 124 pages filled with posts, hope you understand.
I also used search but i didn't find a precise answer for my question.

Anyway,i noticed many people has a problem with their lifting bridge,i've seen couple of posts with possible solutions but neither of them helped.
The 2 screws under my back plate are pretty tight,i messed around with these 2 little pegs you adjust with an allen wrench but my bridge is lifted even when strings are totally loose.
Also, my guitar was supplied with only 3 springs you put under your back plate.
Will getting additional 2 help?
I really want to know because my budget is really low at the moment and repairs or buying additional parts are a huge expenses for me.

My 2nd problem is a little rust appearing on the screws on the back of my bridge.
I really have no clue how did it happen...
I live in UK so i admit it's a pretty damp place, but i keep my house warm at all times.
Also, i use appropriate liquids to clean my guitar so that leaves me completely confused.

Well,thanks for your time devoted to read this.
If anyone will be kind enough to help i would greatly appreciate it.
See ya in other topics!
1. add springs. yes that's what you need.
i'm not a huge fan of over tightening those 2 screws. in some cases they pop out.

2. if you find your parts rusting, leave the guitar in it's case with silica packets, you find in shoe boxes, they say Do Not Eat.

if you dont have a case, then keep the guitar in a more dry place.

maybe hang a portable dehumidifier in a closet, keep it in there. something like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hey JJ, he said.

my bridge is lifted even when strings are totally loose.

I'm not thinkin it's a spring problem. I can't figure out what he is saying. A pic or two is worth a thousand words.
his screws are all the way in. first step has to be to add springs. he might need a completely new set of them.

my thought was that, if his screws were rusting, his 3 springs might have also lost their boinginess. <- no clue on sp there.

but yeah, usually they come in sets of 5. so getting a set of springs would be the way to go.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well,i keep my guitar in a case that's why i was wondering how did it happen but thanks for the advice, i'll try it.
Any idea how much would the set of 5 springs cost?
I know it sounds ridiculous but i'm in really crap situation now.
As far as the pics go...later on tonight i will make 2-3 pics.

Also,any idea of how to perfectly adjust the pegs on the bridge?
Is there some regulation or you have to fully rely on the ear?

Cheers for the quick response guys.

Edit: Nevermind the price question,i'll google it lol
spring sets are a few dollars US.

and which pegs? you can check the link in my sig, Says "set up questions"

the first post explains all the simple stuff.

action (strings height), intonation (tuning along the board). stuff like that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Don't go setting up your buddy's strat for .10's when it's meant for .09's. I use 10 gauge strings, but 90% of strat style guitars come set up for .09s. Don't bother adjusting the springs or anything, just put some super slinkies on there and it should be fine.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!