Hey UG,
my friend has asked me to ask you for some help. He's looking for a guitar for around 1500 - 2000 bucks, for playing metal and shred, and I think he's going to be using it with some kind of a Marshall amp (not an MG, ADV I think it's what the series is called). He had requirements though:
- most likely a TOM or similar bridge, maybe a Floyd Rose but not so much
- a thin, ESP/Ibanez style neck, no bolt ons
- supestrat shape
- pick-ups with strong, fast attack (for shred). Actually - will active pups (EMG or Blackouts) do the job or does he have to get passive ones?
He's moving up from a Squire Strat
Thanks in advance
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
bolt ons are actually chosen for shred more than neck throughs Although neck through is more chosen for metal.

Ibanez Xiphos, and get an OFR to replace the bridge. Or get an ESP MII, they conme with or without floyds.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
this seems like a huge jump between a squire to a 2000 bucks guitar, to be fair you really dont need to spend that much money on a decent guitar. You could halve that and probably improve your amp [which you can ALWAYS do] more money than sense comes to mind here.

Check out some of the high end Ibanez [RG Prestige / S Prestige] also look at Carvin.
If your friend REALLY wants to spend a massive amount on a guitar, gun for a JP Ernieball Musicman...
That would be an Marshall AVT which, while not as bad as an MG, is still pretty poor. 2 grand can get you a really nice tube amp so that would be my suggestion, or 1700 on a tube amp and a set of EMG's or Blackouts for his current guitar.

EDIT: Oh wait I missed the bit about the squire lol, well.......tell him buy a decent guitar then pop some actives in it then look used for a Peavey 5150 or 6505.
Last edited by lewis_grey at Oct 26, 2008,
a ESP LTD JH600
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
I'll be sure to pass that along, but wouldn't the actives have quick enough response for shred? Because he really likes the ESPs but he's been leaning towards an S series Ibanez because of the passive DiMarzio's in there.
Also asked about the amp again - he's getting a Marshall DSL401
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
DEFINATELY get a music man petrucci signature, fits your description perfectly, in your price range, best playing guitar ive ever played. get it
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!