I have an Epiphone les paul and a Squire Strat. I'm still a beginner really and am looking for a decent enough practice / gig amp for £200 or less. I also have a rather nice boss overdrive / distortion pedal which is almost always in use (mainly interested in playing metal)

Anyone got any suggestions??

x
I live in St Albans (Near London (IN England))
I am thinking of probably getting a marshall - they are not specifically metal but i know a lot of people who have them and think they sound pretty cool and are very reliable!!??
Havent actually tried Peavey's or Line 's but i will try them out as soon as possible - how does the price of Peavey's and Line 6's compare to marshall?
I'd go cube 30 bud.
Great all around amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i would just get a Peavey Vypyr which is an AMAZING amp and worth every penny (ironic since it is very cheap and it should probably cost at least 100 bucks more). it has tons of effects and stompboxes and tons of customization options and the amazing thing is.....THEY ALL WORK GREAT!!! you can really get a great metal tone as well as any other tone........

check it out and you'll see that im right. however there have been some failures or bugs but you should be fine......Peavey is fixing it and you probably won't get a lemon anyway.
^The wattage of the amp has little to do with it's value.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^The wattage of the amp has little to do with it's value.

i know but surely if i can afford the 60 watt upgrade of the amp i should buy that instead!?
Cube 30, Cube 60, Vypyr 30... They all do metal well. The Vypyr is new, tried it, liked it, but reliability is yet to be proven. That will take some time.
Quote by gregs1020
Cube 30, Cube 60, Vypyr 30... They all do metal well. The Vypyr is new, tried it, liked it, but reliability is yet to be proven. That will take some time.

Thanks that is pretty what all i needed to hear
DONT GET A VYPYR AND DONT GET A CUBE.
when you can easily get the flextone.
vypyrs are utter crap, unless your into metal.
not to bash or anything but they are, flextones are 1000 times better than either the cube or the vypyr.
OOPS to late hes already set on getting the shitty amp.
^That's subjective, I don't think any of those amps are great, but for the price range they aren't bad. If the ts could find a flextone used it wouldn't be bad, but I don't know how plentiful those amps are in the UK.
Quote by THEKID546
not to bash or anything but they are, flextones are 1000 times better than either the cube or the vypyr.

Woah, slow down there. I agree, the flextones are really good. But that doesn't meaan the other amps are bad. The cube is great. I didn't think the vypyr was that good, but I thought it did better at low gain stuff then metal.
Quote by THEKID546

The flextone is quite a bit more than the other amps suggested. It's kinda funny that you think Roland Cubes are shitty. They are about the best affordable practice amps available. I as well like the flextones, but they are over budget, at least according to gak.
Valvetronix if you can afford it.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by THEKID546

Troll is troll.

Everytime. I don't get all your amp bashing dude. Everytime, I feel compelled to say something to you. Why do you keep doing it. Do you own an MG and feel you need retrobution?

Quit trolling.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Troll is troll.

Everytime. I don't get all your amp bashing dude. Everytime, I feel compelled to say something to you. Why do you keep doing it. Do you own an MG and feel you need retrobution?

Quit trolling.

I'm glad someone said it. Also, kid, please learn how to type, some of your posts are just painful to read.
Quote by mcrfobtai
^They go for pretty cheap used though

I know, there is a flex II at my local shop for $199. It's hard to not buy it. But the UK used market is not what ours is. I agree, it's a very good amp.
There was one at my GC for like 50. But then I discovered it was broken. It was probably something simple. But you never know with SS amps and it probably wasn't worth it to fix so I let it go.
I'd get a Peavey Vypyr. I've pretty much made up my mind.
I'll probably be going with a 30W Vypyr. It's on my christmas list.

Then, later on when I start really gigging, I'll get a tube amp.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by gregs1020
The flextone is quite a bit more than the other amps suggested. It's kinda funny that you think Roland Cubes are shitty. They are about the best affordable practice amps available. I as well like the flextones, but they are over budget, at least according to gak.

I dont think the cubes are shitty per se but in camparison it is, when i said shitty i was refering to the vypyrs.
cubes are bomb i agree, but flextones just blow both these amps out of the water, at least to my ear theres no competition, roland cubes are nice but dont touch these babbies.
and yes the amps can be had for that cheap, its rediculouse how cheap flextones go.
heres one right now. I know tones subjective but for the money and being able to get one that cheap the flextone is the clearly the only option.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=230303489685&Category=10171null&_trksid=p3907.m29

(copy paste)

I will stick by what i said, vypyrs are utter, utter shit, and always will be shit to my ears.
From what everyone has been saying i think i should try out a Flextone but i honestly don't know where i would be able to - i don't know anyone with a Flextone and haven't seen it in any shops
if you want a valve amp look the the Laney LC15R. Great sounds from that, also plenty loud enough.
is 15 watts loud enough for a gig - the amp looks great but i'm not sure if it's powerful enough - even if it is a valve amp??
Last edited by nathan123:) at Oct 28, 2008,