Ive also posted a thread about somthing similar to this pretaining to making a telecaster more to my likings....BUT this one is for one thing and one thing only and that is I know nothing about tele picups and I wanted to know what you guys think is the best neck pickup for blues for a telecaster? Is there one made particularly for blues sort of like the pearly gates? I was looking at Lindy Fralin Blues Specials but now that I look at them they dont look like they were really made for blues?
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Um, the stock pups? To me a stock tele is great for blues and classic rock.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Um, the stock pups? To me a stock tele is great for blues and classic rock.

ya

maybe an SD cool rails
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
does an sd cool rails fit in the neck? Thated cool kinda cool lol a hot rails in the back and a cool rails in the front ( oh yea, I forgot to mention im putting a hot rails in the bridge if that even matters)
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
you think the stock pickups arent good for blues so youre putting 2 rails in it?

fail
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by AdamDK
Texas-single-coils? Or whatever those Fender Texas pickups are called?

Texas specials r somethin, right? Aren't those supposed to help recreate SRV's tone?
But the stock will do it perfectly well.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Texas specials r somethin, right? Aren't those supposed to help recreate SRV's tone?
But the stock will do it perfectly well.

Oh yeah my bad, just realised the threadstarter said Pearly Gates lol.
^Texas specials are just hot singles, but they sound great. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the specials.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
you think the stock pickups arent good for blues so youre putting 2 rails in it?

fail

Well I wasent exactly sure what that guy was impleying? I thought that was a little weird. I also realize that the stock pickups would do fine but I want something special in the neck and I was wondering if there were in tele neck pickups that would do really good for blues. I would love to put a single coil in the front and just get rid of the tele pickup, but will a single coil fit? If not then I guess I would have to cut a slot for it (get a local guitar tech to do it) would then look bad or would the pickup cover it up? If I can fit a single coil in the neck then Ill prolly get a texas special.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Texas specials are just hot singles, but they sound great. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the specials.

What I meant was, weren't they designed with Stevie's tone in mind? Like they were based off his pups or something?
It is a single coil my friend and it sounds great for blues. It's just covered, that's the only difference.

Quote by mcrfobtai
What I meant was, weren't they designed with Stevie's tone in mind? Like they were based off his pups or something?

Something like that, they put them in his sig strat I think.
first: using "bridge" and "neck" kills a helluva confusion

second: i'd say a BKP brown sugar set for all round awesome. i wouldnt go putting strat pups in a tele
What kind of blues?

Muddy Waters?

RL Burnside?

Albert Collins?

Dan Auerbach?
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

second: i'd say a BKP brown sugar set for all round awesome. i wouldnt go putting strat pups in a tele

But BKP's are expensive as hell. What's your budget anyway, TS?
Quote by mcrfobtai
But BKP's are expensive as hell. What's your budget anyway, TS?

theyre also good as hell

moral of the story: you get what you pay for, buy cheap, buy twice
Quote by imgooley
What kind of blues?

Muddy Waters?

RL Burnside?

Albert Collins?

Dan Auerbach?

It depends on what I get into over the years , however my favorite blues artist is buddy guy and I really like to play SRV stuff so I guess you could say texas and chicago style blues. American blues.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

Why not? I myself thought that it was a little strange, but lol someone shouted texas specials so I went with it thinking it was ok. Keep in mind im brand new to teles and learning about them.

*EDIT* Do they ship to the us and would I get a good rock sound and blues sound out of them?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Last edited by Brian8878682 at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by Brian8878682
It depends on what I get into over the years , however my favorite blues artist is buddy guy and I really like to play SRV stuff so I guess you could say texas and chicago style blues. American blues.

If that be the case, I'd stick with the stock PU's then.

Muddy Waters used a stock tele

Albert Collins had a Burstbucker (?) in the neck.

Just grab some brass, flip on an all tube Fender, and have at it.
Quote by imgooley
If that be the case, I'd stick with the stock PU's then.

Muddy Waters used a stock tele

Albert Collins had a Burstbucker (?) in the neck.

Just grab some brass, flip on an all tube Fender, and have at it.

This
It's all you'll really need
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's wrong with the sound of your current pickups? Tell us what's lacking, and then we can point you in the right direction.

I dont have a tele yet, Im getting it for christmass but its never to soon to gain knowledge before you buy.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by mcrfobtai
This
It's all you'll really need

Really? I never thought that stock MIM Fender products ever had pickups worth keeping.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
Really? I never thought that stock MIM Fender products ever had pickups worth keeping.

How much are you going to spend on the axe?
Quote by Brian8878682

With a fender tube it would be ok
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, but how can you think the pickups won't suit you if you don't even own it yet?

Don't worry about the pickups yet.

I guess I just have the idea in mind that whenever you buy a guitar that comes with stock pickups that they always need to be changed out because their just standard nuthin special about'em pick ups. So I was trying to go ahead and get some info about what pickups were good for tele's because I assumed it would sound better if I switched them out, but I gues they actually are good, I will replace the bridge pickup with something that can give me a more humbucking sound because my other guitarist's sound doesent have alot of fullness so I thought that me having a fuller sound with a humbucking pickup for dist. would blend it in very well.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by mcrfobtai
With a fender tube it would be ok

Ohyea once again Im sorry but I prolly should have mentioned that the amp im using is a 50watt marshall jcm900 halfstack. So putting rails in the bridge would compliment my amp.
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by imgooley
How much are you going to spend on the axe?

Im planning on getting just a MIM tele which is $400. Then getting a hotrails which is another $75 then eventually a BKP brown sugar tele pickup in the neck (if necessary, but from the sounds of it I may not need to replace the neck pickup.)
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
I guess I just have the idea in mind that whenever you buy a guitar that comes with stock pickups that they always need to be changed out because their just standard nuthin special about'em pick ups. So I was trying to go ahead and get some info about what pickups were good for tele's because I assumed it would sound better if I switched them out, but I gues they actually are good, I will replace the bridge pickup with something that can give me a more humbucking sound because my other guitarist's sound doesent have alot of fullness so I thought that me having a fuller sound with a humbucking pickup for dist. would blend it in very well.

Eric Johnson never changes the pickups on his Fenders. Keeps 'em stock.

Not all stock pickups are bad; this is a common misconception kept by guitarists. Hell, changing pickups isn't even the most effective way to shape/improve your tone.

So for right now, don't worry about it. You can't know how the guitar needs to be modded until you know what's lacking about it.

And you can get a full sound from single coils, that's what the neck pickup is for. Bear in mind, Teles naturally have a bright, thinner kind of tone. If you want thick raunchy blues, maybe a Tele isn't for you. or maybe you'd be better off with a Deluxe Tele, with dual humbuckers.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Eric Johnson never changes the pickups on his Fenders. Keeps 'em stock.

Not all stock pickups are bad; this is a common misconception kept by guitarists. Hell, changing pickups isn't even the most effective way to shape/improve your tone.

So for right now, don't worry about it. You can't know how the guitar needs to be modded until you know what's lacking about it.

And you can get a full sound from single coils, that's what the neck pickup is for. Bear in mind, Teles naturally have a bright, thinner kind of tone. If you want thick raunchy blues, maybe a Tele isn't for you. or maybe you'd be better off with a Deluxe Tele, with dual humbuckers.

Truth. I like that thicker blues tone so I use a Paul. Sounds great. Maybe you should look at an HSS strat or even just an SSS
^+1. TS, you mentioned Buddy Guy and SRV and both of them used strats (not exclusively, but extensively) throughout their careers. I would check out a bunch of strats against a bunch of teles and then make your decision, and really get to know whichever guitar you choose before even thinking about pickups.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...