Hey guys!

Time to buy a new pedal I think, and this time, I'v been looking at the Boss DS-1... Sounds okay to me... Just wondered what you guys think of it?

I play mostly heavyish stuff, but I wont be using it for Trivium or All That Remains. I will be playing stuff like Nirvana etc through it...

so UG... Yayy or Nayy!? to the Boss DS-1?

Discuss.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
It'll be okay. I find it good for Nirvana type stuff, but it's too thin for lead work.
It's only good for nirvana, other than that it isn't very good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It's a decent pedal, nothing amazing. I think you should save up for a nicer amp first.
It's not bad, for the price a very nice versatile distortion. However I don't think it would be of much use with your Spider amp.

The modeling on that Spider III should get close sounds to the DS-1, I would just mess with the various amp models on the line 6 for a while before dropping cash on various pedals.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Forgot to mention, its not going to be run through my Spider... i'm buying a Valveking in a few weeks! So it'll be used with that
Quote by LiBam

Um, with the vk you probably aren't gonna need a distortion, I'd take a look at the bad monkey.
Oh ok, then I would say the DS-1 is worth a try. There are much better distortion pedals but for those basic distortion tones and Nirvana tunes it should work out fairly well.

I've run a DS-1 through my Classic 50 before and have managed to get some decent sounds from it. Of course, you could do better than a DS-1. I'm just speaking on budget terms, if you could spend up to $100 on a good distortion/OD pedal you'd be set.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
if theres zero chance of a new amp in the future, go for a boss DS-2 perhaps
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
what amp do you have? whether the DS-1 sounds good or not is hit and miss depending on what amp you use with it, since its a very transparent sounding pedal.

edit: missed your post about getting a VK. It would probably be good for adding a sharp edge to an already overdriven amp, but if you want to maintain the natural warmth of the VKs drive and simply boost it i'd recommend an overdrive pedal instead.
Live Rig January 2018

Fender Baja Telecaster/Danelectro DC-12
Boss TU-3, Ibanez TS-9, Fulltone OCD 1.7, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, EHX Holy Grail Neo
1964 Vox AC30TB with '69 Rola G12M "blackbacks"
Elixir Nanoweb 10-52 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Last edited by Blompcube at Oct 26, 2008,
I'v heard the Ds-2 is just a more crunchy version of the DS-1, true or false?
Quote by LiBam

^Sounds the same to me, maybe more gain, not worth the extra bucks if you ask me. The big draw to the ds1 for me is the price.
Quote by 666-JoE-666
I'v heard the Ds-2 is just a more crunchy version of the DS-1, true or false?

the DS-2 is very similar to the DS-1, except it has a "Turbo" switch, with 2 different settings. the first setting sounds almost exactly the same, except possibly a slighly scooped midrange compared to the DS-1, but the 2nd setting has a big boost in the upper midrange to give it a really raw tone which cuts through a mix really nicely but can sound very nasal and honky on its own. this setting is also footswitchable, as the DS-2 has a footswitch jack (labelled "remote") which is a useful feature.
Live Rig January 2018

Fender Baja Telecaster/Danelectro DC-12
Boss TU-3, Ibanez TS-9, Fulltone OCD 1.7, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, EHX Holy Grail Neo
1964 Vox AC30TB with '69 Rola G12M "blackbacks"
Elixir Nanoweb 10-52 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks