So I was planning on buying a Crate V33-212 (Class A), and later buying a V50-112 (Class AB) for heavier, more modern stuff, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying the V33 and V50 or just buying a Peavey VK because the has the ability to switch from A/AB and has an EQ for each channel. I play in two different bands, one which calls for a Class A tone (vintage sounding, mostly instrumental), and the other mainly calls for AB (alternative/post-hardcore).

So my question is: Is it worth getting the two crates amps and doing the tube switch, or is it smarter to buy the Peavey VK-112 and just have one amp?

Regardless, I'll have to do some modding on each, and don't worry about pricing.

Thanks
First off, I'm pretty sure all those are class A/B. I'm not sure about the V33, but I'm pretty sure it is. I know on the VK the texture control does not change the amp from AB to A.

What styles are you trying to play exactly and what's your total budget? I think you might be able to do better than all those amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
First off, I'm pretty sure all those are class A/B. I'm not sure about the V33, but I'm pretty sure it is. I know on the VK the texture control does not change the amp from AB to A.

What styles are you trying to play exactly and what's your total budget? I think you might be able to do better than all those amps.

V33 is class A, other two are A/B but VK can switch, I think I already covered that one :-P

What do you suggest? I don't want to spend more than $700-800 dollars and I prefer a combo, but shoot!

edit: I'm playing in a "happy hardcore" band, meaning it's a fusion of something like pop-rock with some heavy parts, and my other band is kind of like This Will Destroy You, meaning it's an instrumental, mostly clean sound.
Last edited by SlappyMcLardfat at Oct 26, 2008,
The vk can't switch, the texture control just makes the amp run one the powertubes harder or something stupid like that. On the crate I'm not sure, I'd have to see if mr carrot or roc could look at the schem. Either way, whether an amp is class a or not makes little difference, the way it sounds in the end is what matters.

For that budget a mesa F50 would be great, it can do pretty much anything you want. I'm not sure how heavey hardcore is, but I'd think a classic 30 could do that too. Maybe a used JCM800. You've got a lot of options.
Well on Crate's site it says Class A, but if you're saying it's not (and you're on the who to listen to list) I'll depend on you :-P

I'll look into the F50, JCM and Classic. My friend has a classic 50, so would it be essentially the same thing just less wattage?

And by the way, thanks dude.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
Well on Crate's site it says Class A, but if you're saying it's not (and you're on the who to listen to list) I'll depend on you :-P

I'll look into the F50, JCM and Classic. My friend has a classic 50, so would it be essentially the same thing just less wattage?

And by the way, thanks dude.

I'm not saying I know for sure, but you can't always depend on the manufacturer for proper information. It does use 4 el84s so it might be. Either way, it's not important.

I've never played the 50, but I'm sure they're similar. The mesa lonestar would be worth a look too, can't go nearly as heavy, but I think it can do hard rock which is are hard as hardcore goes I'm guessing?
Quote by Kevin Saale
The vk can't switch, the texture control just makes the amp run one the powertubes harder or something stupid like that. On the crate I'm not sure, I'd have to see if mr carrot or roc could look at the schem. Either way, whether an amp is class a or not makes little difference, the way it sounds in the end is what matters.

For that budget a mesa F50 would be great, it can do pretty much anything you want. I'm not sure how heavey hardcore is, but I'd think a classic 30 could do that too. Maybe a used JCM800. You've got a lot of options.

The F series would be perfect
I think all those amps could do that pretty easily, maybe not the lonestar, but I'd still give it a shot.
I can't seem to find any places that sell Mesa amps online, not that I was planning to get one online, but just to get a price-range. Where can I find one?
Quote by mcrfobtai
They are kinda hard to find. But read my sig. Then check ebay and CL

Hah I did read your sig. On ebay there were two and on craigslist there were none...
why would you want to buy two new amps! just get some pedals or something jeez.
Quote by Kevin Saale

+1

i doubt very much you're getting 33 watts out of (i assume?) four el84s.

companies lie. i'd chuck them all in jail, but hey, i don't run the country.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

i doubt very much you're getting 33 watts out of (i assume?) four el84s.

companies lie. i'd chuck them all in jail, but hey, i don't run the country.

Hell, you don't even LIVE in the country
yeah, there is that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay so I was suggested an f-50 and a used JCM 800, and I'm wondering about the JCM. How does a JCM2000 compare to a JCM800? More/less gain?
The V33 runs like a Class AB, I think. It is cathode bias, though.

I think the V series are better than the VK, but it's a matter of opinion.

On the JCM question: The JCM800 doesn't have as much stock gain as a JCM2000 DSL. Which sounds better is up to you.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
I can't seem to find any places that sell Mesa amps online, not that I was planning to get one online, but just to get a price-range. Where can I find one?

here ya go, it's the 2008 price list.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/

the jcm800 and jcm2000 have different gain voicings. the 2000 has a more modern tone, but it's often considered fuzzy and eh. the 800 has a legendary metal tone, but not the modern mega-downtuned type of gain. it's more like the epitome of 80s metal tone.

go check out the mesa f series if you can find one. they kinda do both.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Oct 26, 2008,
yeah i believe they're a little bright with a lot of gain, more voiced for shred. try them out and see how you like them.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
are you buying an amp for its features? or for the way it sounds?!

either way.. this sounds like a job for a Traynor YCS 50
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
are you buying an amp for its features? or for the way it sounds?!

either way.. this sounds like a job for a Traynor YCS 50

Looking for an all-tube combo, either 112 or 212; around 40-50 watts; three channel with a bright sounding heavy distortion and nice cleans. Don't want to spend more than $700. I'll check out the Traynor.

Edit: traynor actually looks pretty sweet from the reviews i've read. I'll check out some sound clips, thanks!
Last edited by SlappyMcLardfat at Oct 27, 2008,
Here is some stuff to consider. Just make sure you check your local craigslist.org before buying new gear.

Peavey XXX combo $450 (Yummmmy!)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/894610168.html

Line 6 Flextone $600
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/893042091.html

Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket $500 (don't know much about this)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/892065962.html
^I'd definitely try the subway first since it might not have enough gain for what you want, otherwise it's a good amp.
to 311:
did you go on philly cl because you wanted to help me out and you've got some extra time on your hands, or are you just from philly too? haha

to Kevin:
thanks for helpin' me out through my amp-finding-odyssey, you've been a blessing :-P
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
to 311:
did you go on philly cl because you wanted to help me out and you've got some extra time on your hands, or are you just from philly too? haha

to Kevin:
thanks for helpin' me out through my amp-finding-odyssey, you've been a blessing :-P

311 is a CL addict, he's not from philly, we're just here to help you bud

No problemo, that's why we surfs these here forums.