Hey.

I'm looking into getting a new guitar for University in the UK.

I am doing a music production course with performance involved. I focus mainly on metal but as I am doing production will be playing all sorts of music too.

I am looking to spend around £400-500 with £600 maximum.

Have been looking at the Ibanez RG1570.

I am very keen on getting the Schecter C1 Classic, ideally in blue but theres no dealers in the UK I can seem to get it from. The only dealer was Sound Control but theyve gone bust! Any one know where I can get one, apart from Ebay?

Any other ideas of guitars to check out?

Cheers
Last edited by 3m0full at Oct 26, 2008,
You should mayby look at a jackson SL3, it might be a little over your price range but worth it if you could afford it
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
hte Rg's are great, they are reliable, play great, and sound awesome

an awesome ibanez is the Ziphos. its shaped similar to a jacson warrior but look more refined. comes with DiMarzio D Activator pickups,Floating Edge III bridge, and chameleon paint job. very thin neck, same one as the RG's. a great guitar, a little bit expensive though. roughly 900 US.

or go for a nice Dean ML, those are always good. make sure its a dime though

or and jackson Rhoads. very well built, and sound good
how about a high end Epi Les Paul? I hear those things are good for all kinds of music, not just rock and metal. To be honest i dont know ho wmuch they go for, but i'm pretty certain you will be able to pick up a nice high end Les Paul for under £600.

Hope I helped

EDIT: If you want a Schecter C-1 Classic... Google a guitar shop called PMT, and clikc on Contact Us at the side; ring the one thats closest to you. They should be able to sort you out, I know for a fact they deal with Schecter because my friend bought a Schecter Hellraiser from PMT Southend.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Last edited by 666-JoE-666 at Oct 26, 2008,
i think you're on the right track with the ibanez rg1570, swap the pickups and you can make it handle metal, but be pretty versatile too.

if you don't want a trem, the rga121 would be worth a try too, but you lose the middle single coil.

i wasn't all that fussed on the couple of schecters I've tried. but as someone else said, i think there will be some schecter dealers here before long, so if you can wait a little while, you might be able to try some (as you may prefer them to the ibanez). EDIT: if you can, try a washburn x50pro as well, it's more or less the same thing as the schecters except it's £300 and has a nicer (in my opinion) bridge pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 3m0full
I found the Schecter I want in a UK shop online.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Schecter-C1-Classic---Trans-Blue~ID~9671.asp

Its the only one I can find. The only thing is its £629.

Seems a bit OTT.

Yeah, but it has a JB/59 pickup combo, a cool inlay, nice colour and things of the sort. Well worth the money I'm saying.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Yeah. Im still tempted towards it, its just gutting that because of it being an import, it being so much more expensive.
Ibanez S470.
OR, like me, Ibanez S670FM.

Cheap, VERY versatile - can cover literally all styles.
Great trem.
HSH pickups.
Stock pickups are average - just DON'T use the bridge for cleans.
Mahogany body (or Mahogany + maple top for S670FM).

It's versatile - so might fit your needs. The single coil in the middle is really useful.

Sorry for sounding like a sales pitch .
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Oct 27, 2008,
If the middle single coil pickup on the Ibanez isn't a big deal for you, I would definitely go for the Schecter (personally that would be my choice regardless, but I just don't really like that sound of a single coil). Also, the Schecter has great pickups in it already, no need for a swap. Plus, I personally like the feel of the Schecter necks, and I think they are a good balance between a good choice for rhythm and lead playing.
Quote by Euraphag
If the middle single coil pickup on the Ibanez isn't a big deal for you, I would definitely go for the Schecter (personally that would be my choice regardless, but I just don't really like that sound of a single coil). Also, the Schecter has great pickups in it already, no need for a swap. Plus, I personally like the feel of the Schecter necks, and I think they are a good balance between a good choice for rhythm and lead playing.

The Schecter is a great choice, but the Ibby is only around £300 - cheaper then his budget, and with an upgrade of pickups, same quality (or better IMO) as the schecter, an extremely reliable trem, and you'll still have a few £££s spare.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
^True, (sorry, I accidentally posted under my roommates name as Euraphag)

I guess for me it would come down to what you want/need. I don't use a trem nor the single coil, so that's how I would go.

TS, my advice is to think about what you really NEED and use that to base your purchase. Bells and whistles are great, but you will find them more inconvenient than useful if they go unused.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
^True, (sorry, I accidentally posted under my roommates name as Euraphag)

I guess for me it would come down to what you want/need. I don't use a trem nor the single coil, so that's how I would go.

TS, my advice is to think about what you really NEED and use that to base your purchase. Bells and whistles are great, but you will find them more inconvenient than useful if they go unused.

+1.
If you don't need, or want, a trem + single coil, and want an OTT finish (nothing wrong with that!), I highly recommend the Schecter.

If you wouldn't mind a trem or single coil, and want a good quality guitar for a great price without too much asthetics (as the Schecter is pricey due to the fretboard design, finish and pickups), then I highly recommend the Ibanez.

But this is just my opinion. IMO, try them in a shop - the ONLY way to find a guitar perfect for you.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
i dunno, £629 sounds pretty expensive to me for a schecter...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 3m0full
I found the Schecter I want in a UK shop online.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Schecter-C1-Classic---Trans-Blue~ID~9671.asp

Its the only one I can find. The only thing is its £629.

Seems a bit OTT.

Don't buy that, you'd be better off buying a Washburn X50 pro for less than half the price. It plays better and doesn't look like crap.

I'd say look at high-end LTD?
Quote by Horlicks
Don't buy that, you'd be better off buying a Washburn X50 pro for less than half the price. It plays better and doesn't look like crap.

I'd say look at high-end LTD?

Ah! LTD. Good recommendation.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I reckon you should try the rg1570 like you originally planned, they are a nice guitar.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
After thinking about it once more I've got some new ideas.

As much as I have played the schecter before and loved it, as well as loving the design its just too much at just over £600.

I do think it would be better of spending the same £600 on a guitar which I think will be better.

I am once again looking at the Ibanez RG1570 like originally planned but also took the ESP Ltd MH400 into consideration. At £569 its in my budget, already comes with EMGs.

I do not NEED a trem, but it would be a bonus if what I got in had one for the long run.
you might be able to get that LTD a bit cheaper, LTDs are very expensive here in the UK for some reason.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you might be able to get that LTD a bit cheaper, LTDs are very expensive here in the UK for some reason.

+1

It's insanely overprice in UK!
if what google says is true that 600 British pounds = 932.22 U.S. dollars. Than you should get a schecter hellraiser c-1. Tappable emg pickups and a thick beefy neck.

Not for those with girl hands.

Even if the shipping is an assload. Its only $700, no way there would be 232 dollars with tax and shipping. Get it in white, it looks more pristine than the ibanez prestige series.
^ well, shipping could easily be $100 (and that's if you can find someone who'll export). I know when i imported an edwards from japan, shipping was £65, which at the time was about $130 (but the exchange rate has worsened now).

charges when it gets here will be VAT (17.5%) + about 4% customs duty. that's on both the guitar + the shipping, by the way. And the courier will probably charge about £10 or so for putting the guitar through customs.

anyway:

$700 + $100 = $800.

21.5% x $800 = $172.

In other words the shipping + customs (and if anything, i've probably slightly underestimated those) would come to around $272. I.e. that'd cost more than just buying the schecter here.

pretty much you're screwed in the UK if you happen to like schecters or LTDs... it's why we UKers recommend the washburn x50pro so much, as it's more or less the same thing, plus with buzz feiten tuning and an arguably nicer bridge pickup, though to be fair the headstock looks a bit rubbish. Still, for half the price...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay after doing a bit more research I'm willing to go to £650 MAXIMUM.

NO more at all. Im still very tempted by the Schecter C1 Classic at £629.

I know this is expensive though.

I was also tempted at ESP LTD's but also been told in the UK they seem to be over priced too.

Any particular models/manufacturers that are fairly priced in the UK and REALLY get my moneys worth?
Quote by Horlicks

DO. IT. NOW.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by 3m0full
(a) I was also tempted at ESP LTD's but also been told in the UK they seem to be over priced too.

(b) Any particular models/manufacturers that are fairly priced in the UK and REALLY get my moneys worth?

(a) they are, but so are schecters if you ask me.

(b) washburn x50 pro. it's more or less the same thing (arguably better, but a lot of that depends on personal preference) for half the price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if ur keen for a schecter, you can get one off thomann,, reliable shop n could end up cheaper coz its in euros (Y) happened with my pickups
Hey, cheers for that. I have already contacted Thomann and theyve said they cant say how long it will take to get them in stock, but they can guarentee it wont be within the next 3 months, which could lead onto 6 months, maybe a year before they could get any due to a problem at Schecters end.
ah, that's a shame. generally i don't like ordering stuff which isn't in stock, as you say, it can turn into a long wait (and something else you want may come up in the meantime).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?