ive been learning guitar for about 3 months now and so far i can only play some small simple parts of songs like the the intro to enter sandman. i need some advice on how i can learn the more complex stuff without getting lessons. thanks
Quote by Randomnez
ive been learning guitar for about 3 months now and so far i can only play some small simple parts of songs like the the intro to enter sandman. i need some advice on how i can learn the more complex stuff without getting lessons. thanks

Play it, even if you're doing it wrong just keep trying over and over until you get better at it. Start slow and speed up gradually if you have to.
he is right. I taught myself, and am now at the 10 month mark, and can probably whip most people on here that took lessons for two years. I advanced quickly, just by looking up lots of tabs, and playing them.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
practice constantly
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
he is right. I taught myself, and am now at the 10 month mark, and can probably whip most people on here that took lessons for two years. I advanced quickly, just by looking up lots of tabs, and playing them.

I've gotta agree with him, lessons give no one a huge advantage.
I've taught myself everything I know, and I've been playing for over a year now. I can show up some of my friends who bought all the lessons for like 3 years. It all comes down to inspiration and dedication.

So here's my advice, start learning tabs from your favorite bands. Study what they do to get their sound, as far as chord progressions. But at the same time, start developing yourself. Study different scales and modes. Also, learn some open and barre chords. You'll be able to hold your own soon enough.

Best of luck to ya
keep playing. the fastest way to learn imo is to get a good qualified teacher though
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I've taught myself with UG and tabs in 2 ½ yrs.. I made my skills from scratch, and I play a lot better than most of my friends who have been practicing in 5 years, and they go to lessons.

The trick is to practice a lot, even of your not feeling up to it. I started out with 1-2 hours every other day. Now I've advanced to 2-3 hours\ day. As long as you stick to just training, you wont need anything else but a guitar, a pick, a tuner, and UG.
Quote by NckSprks
lessons give no one a huge advantage.

Lessons give you the motivation to practice all the time because you have someone looking over your shoulder constantly. Anyone who's dedicated enough can go on without lessons.
Youtube lessons helped me learn some other techniques n stuff.
Or go get lessons @ a nearby music store?
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
Hi, i think the best is to learn some songs that you like, yes i know it takes times to find a song that you like and that you can play, i did exactly like that, and also learn chords major and minor + barre and power chords.

NckSprks said what is the best, i can't give you better advice
build your way up to that.
Think about the long term.
play everyday.
When you practice, practice one thing and GET IT DOWN.
Then move onto the next thing.
I've been playing for three years now and that is what works for me.

but whatever you do PLAY EVERY DAY!
Nothing exists there is no you, no me . . .
I've been playing for two and 1/2 years now. (First year was lessons) Some people do better with lessons, some people do better without them. I did better without them, cause I felt that having lessons really restricted creativity (No, I'm not your average teenage extreme metalhead numbskull, sure I do like metal but I also like ska, jazz, blues,and funk) and you would have to wait forever to use it.

But it really depends on how much you practice. Its better to practice for 2 hours each day than going to lessons and practicing like 10 minutes at home.
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
Last edited by PurpleClawz at Jul 24, 2009,
Quote by Cade_nickels
play everyday.

Mate the thread is like 9 months old so don't you think your advice is falling on dead ears
Quote by Cade_nickels
play everyday.

Necrobump much?
I have been playing for about 20 years and am self taught I couldn't tell you a c major scale from a pentatonic scale but I know scales/chords based on how they sound vs what their called. You got to expect to start out slow and progress your speed as you get used to finger movements training the mind to use both hands is the hardest part, 2nd is training your ear keep a tape recorder or some sort of recording device (i use my cpu and cakewalk sonar 8 Producer for example), record every practice session and listen back on it you will soon learn what mistakes your making and be able to fix them/work on them better. A friend of mine told me a while back "You can train any monkey to play fast but you cant give it rhythm and soul." Being you shouldnt expect to play fast out of the gate. Dont limit yourself on a certain style of music a true guitarist is open to all styles Like I play mostly Metal but Have learned/am learning blues, Jazz, Classical, POP exc,exc. But finally most important is to just have fun practice everyday even if you feel like ---- try not to think about what your doing but hear what your doing.
So do you guys know of any great songs for practicing chord switching, or other important guitar techniques? A lot of my favorite songs have simple main riffs, so I've been learning those, and I can play single-note riffs pretty well now, but still suck at chords.

Also, good easier songs for building up speed and agility?

I'm glad you resurrected this thread, I need it.
Quote by NckSprks
lessons give no one a huge advantage.

If you're taking lessons for theory purposes, it can provide a huge advantage.

Knowing theory > fiddling and hoping what you play sounds right

Theory is especially easy to learn with someone who knows it well and can provide hands-on lessons, and it can and will dramatically improve your overall playing abilities.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by guitarmaniac88

that's what i did. only, im at 5 years now :P
just keep practicing mah dude, it will come. practice indeed DOES make perfect

Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread