4 11%
GUITAR CAN WAIT; GET AN AMP!!!!
26 74%
Just go half-half
3 9%
I LIEK MILK!½!!1ONE
2 6%
Voters: 35.
I've decided that I need to buy a new amp and a new guitar.

Currently, I own a Burnout Les Paul Studio copy, along with a cheap 10W amp which I was given on my B-day.

I have about 400 USD. Should I now invest all of it on a new amp or guitar, or should I go half-half and get 2 new decent things?
Quote by Lil Macker
Is the guitar any decent?

And what genre do you play?

I play a lot of different things. I mostly play with dropped tunings around C, and I play mostly metal, although I like to vary between acoustic and metal.
If I were you, I'd buy a new amp first, it's the part of your gear that affects your sound most, so....
but it just depends on what's important to you, playing comfort and looks, or sound

anyways, my advice is whatever you do, don't buy something if it isn't what you really want, so don't start making budgets so you can buy something as soon as possible, just so just have something new, it's better to invest a little bit more money in something that you find fits you more
will you be gigging/jamming in the somewhat near future, if yes amp, if no guitar.

also depends on how you feel with your sound of amp and how you feel with the feel of the guitar.
You can't play metal on a 10W cheap amp! Any decent Les Paul can metal, but if you haven't got good distortion, everything will sound crap. My recomendation is get a cool tube amp, but try before buy.
well if the guitars fine i would get a better amp
if you play metal get something cheap like a line6 or marshall

dont get a used amp cause most of the time ther not rly that reliable
Quote by ultimate-slash
If I were you, I'd buy a new amp first, it's the part of your gear that affects your sound most, so....
but it just depends on what's important to you, playing comfort and looks, or sound

anyways, my advice is whatever you do, don't buy something if it isn't what you really want, so don't start making budgets so you can buy something as soon as possible, just so just have something new, it's better to invest a little bit more money in something that you find fits you more

Yeah, I know. I've been saving for months to get a proper guitar and amp, because my LP ain't cuttin' it for me. It's too uncomfortable and heavy when I try to play standing up. My humbucks aren't either so good; I have to press real hard to make hammer-ons and pull-offs. Therefore, I need a new guitar and amp.

As far as effects, I only have one multieffect-pedal. But I certainly does the job.
Do you like playing your guitar? I myself sometimes wish that i had bought a million dollar Gibson SG, but here i am with my cheap, damaged schecter omen 6, and when i think about it, i honestly think i'd play my schecter more than i would if i had a SG, which results in me having a lot of pedals and amps and a cheap guitar, which i like.

So if you like your Les Paul, get an amp. Else get a new guitar.
Last edited by dogmax at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by dogmax
Do you like playing your guitar? I myself sometimes wish that i had bought a million dollar Gibson SG, but here i am with my cheap, damaged schecter omen 6, and when i think about it, i honestly think i'd play my schecter more than i would if i had a SG, which results in me having a lot of pedals and amps and a cheap guitar, which i like.

Trust me, I wouldn't have life if I didn't play guitar. I just think I need an upgrade from my equipment, since it isn't the sound I'm looking for. I need something a bit more "chunkier" than my LP. I'm currently looking into Ibanez's and Jackson's
Well if it really feels like a chore to play your guitar I'd say get a new guitar. Sure an amp may affect your sound more than your guitar, but your desire to play your guitar will affect your skill and dedication which is a way bigger deal than how your amp will sound for the next while.
Yeah, I guess I should choose guitar over amp. My only problem is that I live in Scandinavia, and guitars here are a little overpriced. I might consider buying used equipment, since all music shops are in town, and that's not where I live.
If you can put up with the guitar, go for the amp. Honestly though, just go half-half and buy them both used. Used gear can be cheap and decent too; Not that I'm suggesting one for your genres, but a Mexican strat in prefect condition can be as low as $175 used. Guitars depreciate fast once taken out of the retailer.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Going half and half your gear you wont get much good.
So at this point you have to ask yourself...

Do you want a better sound, or do you want to have a better feel?
Quote by PunkSkaShredder
well if the guitars fine i would get a better amp
if you play metal get something cheap like a line6 or marshall

dont get a used amp cause most of the time ther not rly that reliable

I would disagree with that, my used Peavey valveking is outstanding, it has served me well and I have even had one gig with it.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
I'd have to recommend a peavey vypyr. Built in effects, lots of different amp models, a 12 preset bank memory, sounds good, and isn't that expensive. It's a good SS modeling amp for metal and rock.

And yes, i have tried one.
Quote by HighPotency
I'd have to recommend a peavey vypyr. Built in effects, lots of different amp models, a 12 preset bank memory, sounds good, and isn't that expensive. It's a good SS modeling amp for metal and rock.

And yes, i have tried one.

Just spend the extra $50 for a Vox Valvetronix. Just as many versatile presets IMO, plus it sounds more dead-on due to the 12AX7. I've tried both, the extra money is really worth it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I guess I should just buy a new amp, then wish for a guitar for christmas. Since I've been looking around now, I could probably buy a decent guitar for about 100 bucks, then buy a very decent amp for 300. But I dunno, we'll just wait and see.....

EDIT: I found out that they apparently sell decent Jackson's for about 100 USD
Quote by necrosis1193
Just spend the extra $50 for a Vox Valvetronix. Just as many versatile presets IMO, plus it sounds more dead-on due to the 12AX7. I've tried both, the extra money is really worth it.

I have a valvetronix. For metal and rock i'd really recommend the vypyr.
whoa man, a decent guitar for 100 and a decent amp for 300? what is your def. of decent?
Quote by dougl126
whoa man, a decent guitar for 100 and a decent amp for 300? what is your def. of decent?

TBH, I've found out that most used guitars are pretty cheap here in Europe. For about 200 bucks, I can get a decent Jackson V, or for 150, a good Ibanez.