I'm posting on the behalf of my guitarist, we have just started up a funk rock band and tone wise I feel that my guitarist could be getting a lot more out of his marshall DSl 50 amp. Can anyone give us some advice on producing a good funk rock tone in terms of EQ effects ect?

Cheers
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
Quote by EdawMail
treble and bass with less mid. OR lots of treble, mid and less bass lots of it.

wah pedal?

Yeah he's looking at wah pedals, anything in particular that stands out? Also would it be worth him getting an EQ pedal rather then using the EQ on his amp?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
What kind of funk?

There are about 3 or 4 tones I can think of that are colloquially funky.

One would be a spanky, sparkly Twin Reverb type clean, another would be a thick, creamy lead tone, like a Santana type deal, and another would be a messy, sloppy concoction of fuzzy goodness.

Does the DSL have a good clean channel?

EDIT: And don't cut the mids.
Quote by imgooley

I would agree with this.

Definitely check out wah pedals. I have a Budda Budwah, which works great for funk, but it was pretty expensive. I don't think he'll need an EQ unless he finds the one on the amp unsatisfactory, or if he really wants to tweak his tone more.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by imgooley
What kind of funk?

There are about 3 or 4 tones I can think of that are colloquially funky.

One would be a spanky, sparkly Twin Reverb type clean, another would be a thick, creamy lead tone, like a Santana type deal, and another would be a messy, sloppy concoction of fuzzy goodness.

Does the DSL have a good clean channel?

I'm told the cleans are very nice on the DSL and we're after a fuzzy sort of tone.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
Alright, if you want fuzzy, get a fuzz.

I suggest a Frantone Cream Puff if you got cash, and a Big Muff if you don't.

Try to keep the bass relatively low, as the bass is a lead instrument in funk.
Quote by imgooley
Alright, if you want fuzzy, get a fuzz.

I suggest a Frantone Cream Puff if you got cash, and a Big Muff if you don't.

Try to keep the bass relatively low, as the bass is a lead instrument in funk.

Cheers, is there anything else he should be looking into besides fuzz and wah then?
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
As an alternative, you could look at an Auto-Wah since Funk Rock almost always just uses the Wah as a Filter Up accent. The Q-Tron is very funky. For Fuzz, some options from cheapest to most expensive:

Cool Cat Fuzz
Big Muff (maybe try the bass version)
Voodoo Lab Proctavia (if an octave fuzz is more up your ally)
MI Audio GI Fuzz
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz

Wah and Fuzz are pretty much the only things you really need. Sometimes, you'll hear some modulation effects (chorus, phaser, flange), but this varies a lot. Einzinger and Frusciante both use Phasers although this is mostly with their later stuff after their bands branched out beyond the funk rock scene. It's cool that you're doing a funk rock band, the sound is by far the best thing to come out of the 80s.
^Funk had nothing to do with the 80's.

Eddie Hazel used some delay (I think it was tape echo back then) every now and again.
Quote by imgooley
^Funk had nothing to do with the 80's.

Eddie Hazel used some delay (I think it was tape echo back then) every now and again.

Dude, reread the title of the thread. It's about funk rock, not funk. You know, Jimi Hendrix, George Clinton, Spin Doctors, Fishbone, Living Color, early RHCP, Primus, Infectious Grooves, Incubus. Parliament is definitively funk, not funk rock. Parliament is not funk rock. Most of the guitarists Hendrix influenced in the 60s and 70s used the funk elements of his playing style only sporadically. The 1980s is when the movement took off and became really significant.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Dude, reread the title of the thread. It's about funk rock, not funk. You know, Jimi Hendrix, George Clinton, Spin Doctors, Fishbone, Living Color, early RHCP, Primus, Infectious Grooves, Incubus. Parliament is definitively funk, not funk rock. Parliament is not funk rock. Most of the guitarists Hendrix influenced in the 60s and 70s used the funk elements of his playing style only sporadically. The 1980s is when the movement took off and became really significant.

George Clinton was one of the founders of Parliament.

I wouldn't call Incubus or Primus funk rock, and I would call RHCP funk punk, but I guess that's splitting hairs.

Jimi wasn't really funk rock, either. I hear some Sly and the Family influences and some Curtis Mayfield influences, but I associate that kind of music with the seventies.

The other shit, i don't listen to.
Okay, fair enough. I was thinking of Clinton's later work with Funkadelic, but I double checked, and I guess Eddie Hazel played with them in their earlier stuff too. I would call Sly funk and not funk rock too, but splitting hairs, as you said.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Okay, fair enough. I was thinking of Clinton's later work with Funkadelic, but I double checked, and I guess Eddie Hazel played with them in their earlier stuff too. I would call Sly funk and not funk rock too, but splitting hairs, as you said.

It's all good

I listen to a lot of Funk because I grew up with it, and I usually associate it with the 70's, and then the revival due to West Coast Hip Hop.