Page 1 of 2
Hi. I am planning on buying a new guitar and at first I wanted one with actives, but I don't think I want those at the moment. I like to play metal mostly, such as kse, atreyu, bullet for my valentine, and bands like that. I want to be able to get decent cleans (intro to my curse for example) and really good distortion as well. I have tried listening to the clips on the respective sites, but I play in drop d and c most of the time so they didn't help me much. If you guys know some good combos for metal, let me know. Thanks.
Don't upgrade a guitar you don't own yet.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
dimarzio are great for shred. air norton on the neck jb in the bridge
im into stuff like you listed (BUllet for my Valentine!) and i have seymor duncan invaders and they are kickass, but thats me personally.
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Most metal tone is in the amp.

+1, what's the amp?

don't get me wrong, the pickups are very important too, but if you're playing though, say, a fender twin it won't really matter what pickups you're using, it's not going to sound like KSE...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok. Sorry, I forgot to mention the guitars I was thinking about getting. I am deciding between a lower esp ec, like a 50 or 100 and an ibanez art 100. The ibanez is a better deal because it is a mahogany body and the esp's are basswood and agathis respectively. The ibanez doesn't have fret markers on the neck which bugs me, but oh well.

I am thinking about getting a crate v18 and getting an overdrive or distortion pedal. Now what do you say? Lol.
i haven't tried that amp, but i doubt it's all that metal. maybe with a boost (as you've suggested you're looking into). i'd try it with a boost/distortion, and also try something like a roland cube 30 which gets a pretty good metal tone on a budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The reason I was thinking about the crate is that it's a cheaper tube. I've been under the impression that ss amps don't reflect the tone of the guitar and pickups at all...at least, that's what I've read and been told.
That's not true. At that price point you won't find a tube amp that will do metal.

Stick with a Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube 30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ok. Will adler from lamb of god uses a duncan 59 and jb and he has really good sound. I just want a good bridge pickup for rhythm and neck for highs that are somewhat catered to metal. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote by thisnamerox
im into stuff like you listed (BUllet for my Valentine!) and i have seymor duncan invaders and they are kickass, but thats me personally.

From personal experiences Invaders have a some what harsh affect on your clean tone.

Im a Dimarzio man honestly

Air Nortons are very articulate in a neck position, im buying one soon.
For the bridge I like the D sonic and the Evo2.

Although Duncans are great.
Ive heard great things about the JB.
Unfortunately i havent played a guitar with one.
I wish there was an easier way other than buying them out to see which ones you like...the d sonic did look good. It's made for dropped tunings The ones that look good from duncan are the distortion, jb, custom, and dimebucker; these would probably be paired with a 59 in the neck. Other than the d sonic, the breed, evo 2, and x2n look good. I just don't have a good feel for the sounds from the website unfortunately...
Quote by Raijouta
That's not true. At that price point you won't find a tube amp that will do metal.

Stick with a Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube 30.

yeah, that's the problem i was getting at. i'd *rather* have a cheap tube than a roland cube, all things being equal, but if it's only for metal, i'd rather have the roland cube. if that makes sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zero716
I wish there was an easier way other than buying them out to see which ones you like...the d sonic did look good. It's made for dropped tunings The ones that look good from duncan are the distortion, jb, custom, and dimebucker; these would probably be paired with a 59 in the neck. Other than the d sonic, the breed, evo 2, and x2n look good. I just don't have a good feel for the sounds from the website unfortunately...

i'm not too sure on pickups to be honest... the jb sounds more "hard rock" to me than metal... i've only been able to try the distortion once, i thought it sounded a bit thin... wasn't fussed on the dimebucker when i tried it. i haven't really tried any of the metal dimarzios (bar the evo, which is more of a shred than metal pickup), so i can't really help there...

not sure about the '59 in the neck if you only play metal, either, it's more vintage voiced, a lot of the metal guys use one because it means they can get nice cleans and have a bit of versatility...

i've only given you more questions than answers, sorry about that, but it's better than buying the wrong thing...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zero716
Hi. I am planning on buying a new guitar and at first I wanted one with actives, but I don't think I want those at the moment. I like to play metal mostly, such as kse, atreyu, bullet for my valentine, and bands like that. I want to be able to get decent cleans (intro to my curse for example) and really good distortion as well. I have tried listening to the clips on the respective sites, but I play in drop d and c most of the time so they didn't help me much. If you guys know some good combos for metal, let me know. Thanks.

It's all subjective, up to the person playing them! most tone comes from your hands...but if you are looking for a high out put pick-up the the Dimario super distortion is pretty happening.....or for mid output a PAF pro.
Quote by Mullen2105
duncans. they have a better tone, what guitar are you planning on getting?

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love my Dimarzios, the Air Norton is a great neck pickup and so is the PAF Pro, the main difference between the two, is the AN is more glassier, and the PAF Pro had more bass and a little more rounded highs
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I disagree. The Super Distortion is good for 80's metal and 80's rock, and in comparison to other pickups....it's not that hot.

true, but if your using it with say a Triple Recto it is pretty smokin!
Quote by zero716
The reason I was thinking about the crate is that it's a cheaper tube. I've been under the impression that ss amps don't reflect the tone of the guitar and pickups at all...at least, that's what I've read and been told.
True , but unfortunately, most of the cheaper tube amps, although good amps, aren't really suited for metal. That V18 might be able to do some heavier stuff with an overdrive pedal in front of it, but the cheapest tube amp I can think of that could do metal (preferably with an overdrive for really heavy stuff) is the Peavey Valveking, but again, there are considerably better amps out there for metal. Unless you're planning on gigging right away, I'd consider some of the suggestions others have already given you, and save money for a good metal tube amp later on if that's what you want

As far as the original question of this topic goes, it's all personal preference, but the amp makes up much more of your tone than the pickup. That being said, I prefer Duncans for passive pickups (I've yet to try a DiMarzio I like :/ ), but I'm an active EMG user myself
Quote by Teh GIR
I love my Dimarzios, the Air Norton is a great neck pickup and so is the PAF Pro, the main difference between the two, is the AN is more glassier, and the PAF Pro had more bass and a little more rounded highs

wow, not my experience at all. i found the PAF Pro to be only slightly less muddy than the A.N. and the muddiness of the AN was beyond description.
i finally wound up with the Super 2 to compliment the Tone Zone
Quote by zero716

well, not to be a pain, but bullet and KsE use actives...

also, the cube 30 is an awesome amp, the effects are basically taken (or made after) certain Boss effect pedals, so you're solid with that one (that and it's not that expensive). to be honest, I have a cube 15, and with tweaking the EQ abit, I can get a sound (with my crappy starter no-brand strat) which very closely resembles the BFMV tone.

but what someone else said, FIRST get the amp and the guitar, spend some time (as in weeks probably) to find the tone you want, and THEN you can always think about gettin new pups.
Quote by sethp
wow, not my experience at all. i found the PAF Pro to be only slightly less muddy than the A.N. and the muddiness of the AN was beyond description.
i finally wound up with the Super 2 to compliment the Tone Zone

Weird, the PAF Pro is my favorite neck pickup, it's not muddy at all in my Ibanez.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Most metal tone is in the amp.

Pickups have a huge effect on your overall sound, they drive the amp. Obviously you will need a decent metal amp but using a crappy pickup with a good amp is like using a bad mic in a great PA...bad sound! I like EMG 81a best, i have duncans in my other guitar, better overall sound than the emg, but for metal only i prefer the emg.
Last edited by Tempoe at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by Tempoe
Pickups have the most effect on your overall sound, they drive the amp. I like EMG.

Wrong. Plugging a guitar equipped with EMGs isn't going to make a Marshall JTM45 into a metal monster.

Quote by Jeffmo929
true, but if your using it with say a Triple Recto it is pretty smokin!

It's kind of backwards to do it that way. I'd want a set of pickups that were less fuzzy, and an amp with a tighter bottom end, if I played metal.
Quote by Tempoe
Obviously you will need a decent metal amp but using a crappy pickup with a good amp is like using a bad mic in a great PA...bad sound!

I plugged in a First Act p.o.s. guitar to my Nitro yesterday to make sure the electronics worked, it sounded like a much more high quality guitar through it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok. I know actives are better for metal, especially emg's. I originally wanted to get an esp ltd ec-500 with an emg 81 and 60. However, emg's are not as good for cleans and I can't spend that much unfortunately. Oh, and I know bfmv, kse, atreyu, and on and on use emg's or some other form of actives save a small few.

I have a first act p.o.s. as well and it sucks! The amp is probably a lot of it, but I still want a new guitar . I was thinking of the dimarzio d sonic for the bridge, but I am totally lost on the neck. It doesn't matter if it is duncan or dimarzio, just as long as it is a good one.
Quote by zero716
Ok. I know actives are better for metal, especially emg's.

I play Metal 90% of the time and I don't have EMGs in any of my guitars anymore. I used to only use them and then I got my Ibanez, a good passive set kill EMGs imo. The only guitars I like EMGs in anymore are 7 strings

D Sonic would be sweet.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I agree. Now I just need to find a neck. That's the hard part, lol. Ok. These are some good ones I found that might work. Let me know what you think. From dimarzio, an evo or breed neck. From duncan, super distortion, super 2, full shred, or invader for the neck. Have any of you had experience with these?
Last edited by zero716 at Oct 28, 2008,
Any ideas on those last pickups I listed? I'm not really sure, haha.
Quote by zero716
I agree. Now I just need to find a neck. That's the hard part, lol. Ok. These are some good ones I found that might work. Let me know what you think. From dimarzio, an evo or breed neck. From duncan, super distortion, super 2, full shred, or invader for the neck. Have any of you had experience with these?

I'd definitely stay away from the Invader, period.

Super Distortion, I repeat, is an 80's metal pickup.
I prefer the duncans in my SL2H above the Dimarzio's in my Music Man. But i do know other people that think the opposite.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wrong. Plugging a guitar equipped with EMGs isn't going to make a Marshall JTM45 into a metal monster.

It's kind of backwards to do it that way. I'd want a set of pickups that were less fuzzy, and an amp with a tighter bottom end, if I played metal.

then u should go with a mid output pick up.....it will be less fuzzy....and let most of the amp do the work!!
I just had a thought about how dumb I was, lol. How about emg passives, such as the hz's? Has anybody used those?
HZs/Selects = Bad
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2