Page 1 of 2
I was just wondering whether or not the Epiphone Zakk Wylde guitar gets good clean tone, since I dont live near a major guitar shop, and I want to know before buying. Thanks!
Quote by msuspartan
I was just wondering whether or not the Epiphone Zakk Wylde guitar gets good clean tone, since I dont live near a major guitar shop, and I want to know before buying. Thanks!
It has EMGs, meaning you'll either love them or hate them.
The HZ have some of the worst cleans of any pickup - im not joking.

Ibanez stock are better than those, even Squier pups are neater and tighter, brighter and smoother.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Your amp will make the majority of your tone, so what amp d you have?

A Crate VTX30, but im looking to upgrade to an Marshall MG50DFX soon
Quote by msuspartan

thats probably more like a downgrade
do NOT get that amp
it is god awful
what is your price range?
what tones do you want?
would you buy new or used?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^^

Don't "upgrade" to that POS.

What is your budget and main playing styles? We might be able to help.

Probably 600 max. My guitar teacher recommended it, but he kinda sucks. I play alot of punk rock and some metal, but i also want to get good cleans
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^^

Don't "upgrade" to that POS.

What is your budget and main playing styles? We might be able to help.

At this point, emphasis on might. But you obviously like Zakk Wylde. Maybe a Traynor amp with a boost? But still, budget?
Quote by msuspartan
Probably 600 max. My guitar teacher recommended it, but he kinda sucks. I play alot of punk rock and some metal, but i also want to get good cleans

thats why i never trust guitar teachers
well i'm thinking if you can find a 1x12 jcm 900 (ironically the same amp i'm after) that could hit that stuff pretty well
it can do thrash metal, and tom delonge used it in his blink 182 days, and it also has pretty good cleans
what do you think acdcrocks?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Used Mesa F-30 is right up your alley.

Kevin Salle is selling his for around that price.

woah kevin salle is selling his?
why?
i thought he loved that thing...
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i've seen them go used under 600 all the time, its just you have to get lucky, but the 1x12's are way more common than the 2x12's (sadly thats what i'm going for)
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Actually, the 900 would be perfect. or, if your lucky, a JCM800 2205.
Kevin's selling his because it's a little loud for him (And it doesn't sound as good with an attenuator or something) and he wants something a little more Blues/classic rock oriented.
Quote by acdclandon
i've seen them go used under 600 all the time, its just you have to get lucky, but the 1x12's are way more common than the 2x12's (sadly thats what i'm going for)

Im looking for at least a 50 watt, to be able to play in future gigs and stuff like that
Nice save guys, that was a close one. The Traynor, JCM or Mesa would be very good. On the cheaper side a used classic 30 would be good too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Nice save guys, that was a close one. The Traynor, JCM or Mesa would be very good. On the cheaper side a used classic 30 would be good too.

true the classic would work, idk about the metal though
too bad, with the amount of times that the classic (30 or 50) has been suggestion, the one thing that holds it back is metal
anyway ts if i were you i would get kevin saale's, he's really trustworthy and wouldn't rip you off or anything
he's even on the who to listen to list of 2008
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
you guys should be on it too btw lol
no offense felix, but how did they miss you acdcrocks?
we'll start a petition lol
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
you guys should be on it too btw lol
no offense felix, but how did they miss you acdcrocks?
we'll start a petition lol

None taken
The mesa is a great amp for what you want, it's just too heavy for me, not to mention I gotta max out my attenuator to quiet the beast down. It can do the blues/classic rock thing, just not as well as some other amps.

I wouldn't even consider that epi ZW, it's junk. The pickups are crud and I didn't think it played all that well. I'd take a studio LP over it any day and those aren't that great either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The mesa is a great amp for what you want, it's just too heavy for me, not to mention I gotta max out my attenuator to quiet the beast down. It can do the blues/classic rock thing, just not as well as some other amps.

I wouldn't even consider that epi ZW, it's junk. The pickups are crud and I didn't think it played all that well. I'd take a studio LP over it any day and those aren't that great either.

By studio Lp do u mean Epi or Gibson? Lol im just wondering
Quote by acdclandon
true the classic would work, idk about the metal though
too bad, with the amount of times that the classic (30 or 50) has been suggestion, the one thing that holds it back is metal

Depends on what type of black death kill a baby metal but yea, it's the weakest point. Specifically the cleans are very good IMO. But TS - if you could score Kev's F-30 you win.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Depends on what type of black death kill a baby metal but yea, it's the weakest point. Specifically the cleans are very good IMO. But TS - if you could score Kev's F-30 you win.

Better hurry though, I've got more prospects than I can shake a stick at.

I meant the gibson studio, I think it's in the same price range, but don't bother me to check.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Better hurry though, I've got more prospects than I can shake a stick at.

I meant the gibson studio, I think it's in the same price range, but don't bother me to check.

Okay cause i knew the epi was a POS but even a gibson is outta my price range. Thats why i was considering the zakk wylde, cause the peak of my price range for a guitar is at 750
yeah especially used you can get a lot better stuff for 750
not too mention anything with the name gibson on it is almost always wildly overpriced (especially with les pauls)
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by msuspartan

ahahaha - how i did laugh out loud after the other post i made!

that facepalm icon will be widely used!
Quote by davedoom
ahahaha - how i did laugh out loud after the other post i made!

that facepalm icon will be widely used!

We're past that brother.

The epi is alright, but I really like the shecters if you want a hard tail guitar.
Quote by Kevin Saale
We're past that brother.

The epi is alright, but I really like the shecters if you want a hard tail guitar.

Yeah i like the Hellraiser, but i dont know if i could get good clean sounds out of it or not. And ive thought about even holding out for a US strat, but again i dont know if they are versatile enough for metalcore and stuff like that
Man, the real good clean tone will come from you AMP, not your guitar. Pups will have some effects (i.e. you can always tell when someones playing a strat on the clean channel) but It'll be in the amp
Quote by Kevin Saale
We're past that brother.

Quoted for truth. I love the C-1 plus and Hellraiser.

I am always a sucker for those LTD EC-1000 or the Vipers they have. Good LP-stlye guitar for heavier types of music.
i was about to say, you can probably get used u.s. strats for under 750, but you're also right in saying idk about metalcore, i wouldn't try
maybe a les paul since their just about the heaviest of the non ultra metal type of guitars
or you could just go all out and get a decent guitar with emgs or something like that
but that wouldn't work well with punk...
...this is kind of a hard one
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Page 1 of 2