Hey guys, I've been getting a bit more into theory lately, and I think I need some of your help to see if I got this right

Let's take the song Gold Lion by Yeah Yeah Yeahs as an example. Now, the basic chord progression for the song is F#, A, E, A. Trying to break this down has given me some head ache, lol. I really can't understand which key this song is in, or maybe I'm over-complicating things.

Would it be correct to say that the song resolves to the key of A major? I'm thinking that although the song starts on the F# chord, the F# major scale contains neither the note A nor the note E, am I right? However, the A major scale does. Hm, but so does the E major scale. And, if that's the case, would one call this a VI-I-IV-I progression? Although this doesn't really make sense to me either, to be honest. And for some reason, the only scale so far that I've tried that actually sounds good over this progression (to my ears at least) has been the F# MINOR pentatonic scale. Any takers for explaining this one to a confused dude?

Cheers!

/sub
Last edited by sub at Oct 26, 2008,
Well, it prolly revolves round Amajor cuz that chords is repeated twice (to emphasize the key prolly).

I could go into my theory on music involvin the root note bein the note that defines the key, but that'd jus confuse u. So, let's jus assume that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs wanted the song in the key of Amajor. That's prolly safest.
if it is in f# minor then it is in A major, that is the relative minor of A major. The key would be f# minor and would then lead to an i-III-VII-III chord progression. So it is in f# minor but it has the same key siganture and scale tones as A major
Use your imagination, use your whammy bar.
Quote by thewrongreasons
if it is in f# minor then it is in A major, that is the relative minor of A major. The key would be f# minor and would then lead to an i-III-VII-III chord progression. So it is in f# minor but it has the same key siganture and scale tones as A major

Yeah sure, but there's no F# minor chord in there at all, and that's what's confusing me. It's all major. And on second thought, the A major scale does sound pretty sweet over this progression.

So basically, it's the fact that the F# chord isn't a minor chord that confuses the hell out of me.
Quote by rockhardmetal
Well, it prolly revolves round Amajor cuz that chords is repeated twice (to emphasize the key prolly).

I could go into my theory on music involvin the root note bein the note that defines the key, but that'd jus confuse u. So, let's jus assume that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs wanted the song in the key of Amajor. That's prolly safest.
What the fuck are you talking about. Get out of here.

F# A# C#
A C# E
E G# B

Those are the notes? Okie dokie. That's kinda odd. Is there anything else to the song? I haven't played it but I'd guess that it's Just A major. All the notes but that A# fit. Just because there's an A# in the F#maj chord doesn't mean it's not in A; accidentals are okay.

Edit: I looked at the tab. It's definitely in A major or F# minor. Looking at it is kinda ambiguous because I don't know the song at all and it looks like it fades out rather than resolves on one chord. It might just be in F#minor.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Oct 26, 2008,
So what, the chords are? F# - A - E - A

All major chords.. Major 7 chords, or simply major chords?

I would say, (note: Im probably wrong) The F#major, is borrowed from the parralel major of the relative minor of A Major.

The A# is only one alt. note, the rest of the chords fit freely into A Major.

A maj - E Maj - Amaj
I V I

F# Minor being the relative minor of A Major

F# Minor being the PARALLEL minor of F# Major.
Quote by Galvanise69

I would say, (note: Im probably wrong) The F#major, is borrowed from the parralel major of the relative minor of A Major.

A maj - E Maj - Amaj
I V I

Maybe the F#maj is really Gbmaj and it's a construed tritone substitution from the parallel asshole of an orangutan. Dude, you complicate things Simplest is best
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
What the fuck are you talking about. Get out of here.

F# A# C#
A C# E
E G# B

Those are the notes? Okie dokie. That's kinda odd. Is there anything else to the song? I haven't played it but I'd guess that it's Just A major. All the notes but that A# fit. Just because there's an A# in the F#maj chord doesn't mean it's not in A; accidentals are okay.

Edit: I looked at the tab. It's definitely in A major or F# minor. Looking at it is kinda ambiguous because I don't know the song at all and it looks like it fades out rather than resolves on one chord. It might just be in F#minor.

All right, thanks man. Though that A# does bug the hell out of me. Playing it over the Amaj or Emaj chords sounds absolutely moot to me, so why it works in the chord progression context I simply don't understand.

Quote by Galvanise69

A maj - E Maj - Amaj
I V I

No man, it's all every day run-of-the-mill major chords. No major7s. Hah, and here I thought I picked the perfect no-nonsense song to brush up on my theory skillz. Well, either I'll learn more or end up more confused I guess.
Maybe the F#maj is really Gbmaj and it's a construed tritone substitution from the parallel asshole of an orangutan.

That did make me laugh

Sorry if I was being an aresehole, just trying to help out.

How are you explaining it than?

Its all ordinary major chords?

Than I see no reason its not what I said.

Could also be classified as a V/ii, but now Im just really being rediculous, as its not even a defined dominant.
Quote by Galvanise69
Maybe the F#maj is really Gbmaj and it's a construed tritone substitution from the parallel asshole of an orangutan.

That did make me laugh

Sorry if I was being an aresehole, just trying to help out.

How are you explaining it than?

Its all ordinary major chords?

Than I see no reason its not what I said.

Could also be classified as a V/ii, but now Im just really being rediculous, as its not even a defined dominant.
I never said that. I like you. I was just playfully (well, trying to convey the sense of it being playful) pointing out that it seems like you over analyze things.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Looks like A major to me. F# minor and A major are not the same key even though they share the same notes.
^ They are relative Minor & Major, Modal interchange, though, its not often thought of it like that.

metal4all: As in over-analyzing things this time, or GENERALLY over-analyze things?