I'm kind of stuck in rut in my solo playing.
I love metal. Metal is definitely my favorite genre of music, even though I listen to pretty much everything. Back when I had lessons, my teacher was a metal player as well, but loved the blues, so my style of soloing is similar to his. More of a bluesy, emotional type solo. I can rip it up to a slow, emotion-filled track. That is where my expertise in soloing lies. Here is an example (please don't think it's advertising for the contest, I honestly don't care if you vote for me or not, I'm not going to win) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLbNTTGJ0g
I love the ability to solo like that, but metal is my passion. I just can't give a good metal solo. I can make brutal, mind crushing metal riffs, but I can't crank out a fast, dark solo. I can play scales fast, but the metal feel just isn't there. I want to play solos more like this (pardon the quality) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbKCm4eccZU
How can I further widen my soloing style into the dark realm of metal?
Last edited by RPGoof at Oct 26, 2008,
Work with the diminished scale, and some choise chromatics.

By the way the video is very nice and all but the first riff was pretty odd.
Bridge Pickup
Scoop the mids (Turn them down)
Reverb off

Find some of your favorite solo's or scales or whatever, learn them and once you've learned that style a little better then give it a shot
Quote by qwertymason
Bridge Pickup
Reverb off

Find some of your favorite solo's or scales or whatever, learn them and once you've learned that style a little better then give it a shot

Ewww scooped mids
Thanks for the advice, I've got a Lamb of God tab book so I try and learn some of those, find some scales...
I'm so used to the minor scale it's crazy :S
Quote by RPGoof
Ewww scooped mids
Thanks for the advice, I've got a Lamb of God tab book so I try and learn some of those, find some scales...
I'm so used to the minor scale it's crazy :S

The short solo in As the palaces burn is very nice.
Try that out.
Quote by qwertymason
Bridge Pickup
Reverb off

Thought the theory was that scooping mids is a big no-no? You need the mids to cut through the mix...
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
Thought the theory was that scooping mids is a big no-no? You need the mids to cut through the mix...

if your amp has bass, lo mids hi mids and treble you can scoop the lo mids and crank the his and cut through with that 'acquired taste' of mids.

try using exotic scales, and diminished arpeggios a bit more maybe?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost