Hey everyone. New bass player here. Never really played guitar before, I come from a piano / tenor saxaphone background. I decided I wanted to take up a new hobby that challenged me. A number of my friends play guitar, but I don't really know anyone that plays bass, so I figured I'd be different.

Spent some time for a few days researching bass guitars and decided I wanted to go with Ibanez. I was looking to pick up the somewhat-standard Ibanez GSR 200. While at Guitar Center, I noticed this shiny blue bass guitar that was marked down from $499 to $230. It was the SRX3EXQM1 (easy to remember that name, right?). So for what was really only 30 bucks more, I picked it up, and some starting gear, and headed home.

Stupid me... I didn't try and play the guitar, or even have somebody who knew what they were doing play the guitar, I was so dazzled by the deal that I got. The bass didn't work. It requires a 9V battery, and even replacing that didn't do it. So I took it back, and sure enough it was dead beyond repair (no wonder it was on clearance).

They claimed the clearance price was only on the blue one because Ibanez stopped making the blue one, but after a little bit of convincing they gave me the black version of the same guitar for the clearance price. This time I made them play it (good thing too, since the battery was dead), and I played as well (with what little I'd learned the night before). Worked and sounded great, so I took it home.

So there's my long-winded story. But suffice it to say I've joined the bass guitar player ranks as a total novice, and would love any sort of advice you wise bass sages have learned over the years. I love my guitar, and have had a ton of fun playing it the last two days. I also highly recommend my amp and headphones, they are both really slick.

I'm new to the forums, and hope that you guys are a great community.
Practice Gear:
Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 Bass (Black)
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones

Inspiration: Flea, J. Myung, L. Claypool, R. Trujillo, V. Wooten, N. Mendel
230? wish I got that deal when I was starting. but cool man! indeed, the ol GC is a wiley foe, intent on keeping your new bass away from you on a whim, but you handled it well. always remember to play before you pay.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
First off, welcome to bass and the forums!

For general information, check out the FAQ and then if you have any specific questions regarding playing, amps, your bass etc, post on back in this thread.
Quote by the humanity
230? wish I got that deal when I was starting. but cool man! indeed, the ol GC is a wiley foe, intent on keeping your new bass away from you on a whim, but you handled it well. always remember to play before you pay.

It's funny you recommend these in your signature for a beginning player. Without even seeing that, those were the pieces I went for (other than the amp and the eventual bass upgrade).

1) Ibanez GSR200
2) Acoustic AB50
3) Roadrunner gig bag
4) Monster cable, 12 ft
Practice Gear:
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp

Last edited by TrainwreckX at Oct 26, 2008,
Good luck with your bass endeavors!
Quote by futurejimmypage
HOLEY MOLEY MACCARONI!!!! you are like 7 hours into the future. Whats it like? is the war over? is bush dead? Are the new episodes of family guy out yet? is global warming over? Did they unfreeze walt Disney???

Guys, I have another question. When I'm trying to learn a riff, and practicing over and over, but still not figuring out an ideal finger placement... where do I ask? I've actually had a lot of luck with some of the "easier" bands out there (such as Nirvana) where I'm getting their riffs down just by continually practicing.

But there is one... Money by Pink Floyd, where the first 4 notes of that famous riff are a bit tough for me (finger placement wise). (B, B, F#, B). I just can't seem to hit them without major delay between the notes. Is there a really nifty trick for situations like this?
Practice Gear:
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp

Last edited by TrainwreckX at Oct 26, 2008,
Index on B, pinky on B octave, Ring finger on F#
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Ok, get a metronome. Set the song at the lowest speed you can comfortably play the song. Don't mind that it seems really slow. When you can play the song accurately at that speed 5x, take the speed up 5 bpm.

Also remember that song is in a weird time signature (7/4) and has a bit of stretch from the index to the pinky, esp. when you are starting out. Take it slow and easy and it will come in time.
If you think that stretch is hard you should check out the last chord in portrait of tracy. It took me a week or so to get just that stretch down.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
If you think that stretch is hard you should check out the last chord in portrait of tracy. It took me a week or so to get just that stretch down.

I still can't get that stretch on PoT, its one of the reasons I have issues with that song.

For the average player, Money is no big deal, but when you are just starting to play, it can be a bit of struggle.
I actually have to tilt my entire body to the side, slant the neck, turn my wrist, and practically force my fingers out of socket. I can't play it at band practice because I look retarded doing it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
it's a tough stretch for me. Basically I can do it (I have slightly above average hand size) but i don't have the pinky or ring finger pressed down with any sort of force, so the octave B and F# come out really wobbly. If I play it super slow, and move my fingers, then it sounds fine.

However, I want to thank you guys for your help. I'll keep at it! You guys are great, I think I'm really gonna like this website.
Practice Gear:
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp

Quote by TrainwreckX
it's a tough stretch for me. Basically I can do it (I have slightly above average hand size) but i don't have the pinky or ring finger pressed down with any sort of force, so the octave B and F# come out really wobbly. If I play it super slow, and move my fingers, then it sounds fine.

However, I want to thank you guys for your help. I'll keep at it! You guys are great, I think I'm really gonna like this website.

This place is pretty cool.
Don't worry, you'll get stronger fingers. I can still remember when I couldn't play money. You just have to practice.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
BTW, my bass has got the dual humbucker pickups, I heard this is good for heavier rock type music (which is what I prefer). Does that check out with you guys? The GSR 200 that I almost plunged for had both J-style and P-style pickups (which seems odd to me).
Practice Gear:
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp

the dual humbuckers are normally used for heavier rock but they also have a nice variety of sounds you can get out of them. play around and try out different tones.

but the P/J pick up style isn't odd at all its kind of a best of both worlds pick combination. its got a large varity of tones you can get. some people get that pick up combination if they can't decide weather to get the a precision or jazz bass tone wise so they kinda get a best of both worlds deal.
for finger strength and reach look up some spider scale exercises, anarkee had a post about these some time back and after I looked them up and started doing them. my reach improved greatly and now I they're an everyday part of my warm-up
Quote by Ryker24
for finger strength and reach look up some spider scale exercises, anarkee had a post about these some time back and after I looked them up and started doing them. my reach improved greatly and now I they're an everyday part of my warm-up

Man that sounds just like what I'm looking for! If anyone knows a good one I could add to my daily routine, I'd love to take a look. I'll go do some investigation myself, but feel free to post something.
Practice Gear:
12ft Monster Cable
Peavey MAX 158 Bass Amp