So I just got a peavey XXX, (discontinued one by the way) and I love it. But I know eventually I'm going to be looking at some effects pedals so I'd like to get some opinions now.

First of all I'm thinking of getting a MXR 10 band EQ...What are your thoughts, experiences and other eq suggestions.

I also want a good delay pedal and I was thinking either a MXR carbon copy or a EX memory man...What are your thoughts, experiences and other delay suggestions.

I also might look into a bad monkey to tighten up the overdrive, would pedal this really help me?

And I guess a good noise gate/reduction pedal could come in handy if you would like to list some, and maybe a chorus pedal too.

Thanks
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
All the pedals you mentioned are very good pedals, except maybe the Bad Monkey. It is a good pedal, but not very good. MXR's EQ is probably one of the best there is. I'd take the memory man over the carbon copy, but you should try them out and see which you like more.
Suggestions:
Fulltone OCD for overdrive
ISP Decimator w/ G-String for noise reduction.
EX Small Stone for chorus
I personally don't think an EQ pedal is something all that important. digitech and boss both make some good delay pedals. And a bad monkey is a good overdrive, but once again not something that high on the list of stuff you would really need.

And for noise reduction pedal, check out an ISP decimator
Quote by mrxtreme_4
So I just got a peavey XXX, (discontinued one by the way) and I love it. But I know eventually I'm going to be looking at some effects pedals so I'd like to get some opinions now.

First of all I'm thinking of getting a MXR 10 band EQ...What are your thoughts, experiences and other eq suggestions.

I also want a good delay pedal and I was thinking either a MXR carbon copy or a EX memory man...What are your thoughts, experiences and other delay suggestions.

I also might look into a bad monkey to tighten up the overdrive, would pedal this really help me?

And I guess a good noise gate/reduction pedal could come in handy if you would like to list some, and maybe a chorus pedal too.

Thanks

The MXR 10 band EQ is one of the best in my opinion (that's not a big rack monuted 32 band thing), but you may want to consider the BYOC (Build your own Clone) 10 band EQ. It lets you select the the bands you control, and how much control you have over each frequency=better tailored to your amp (assuming the pedal is mainly for use with that one specific amp).

I'm not a huge delay user, but I've heard great things about both pedals, more so the Memory Man though.

Can't say for sure about the Bad Monkey, you may want a boost, wait for someone else to contribute there

The ISP Decimator or whatever the hell it's called is supposed to be an excellent noise gate, heard nothing but good things about it
Boss DD-7 is a really nice delay and i think a DS-1 would give you a nice distortion

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Thanks for the quick replies! So fa it looks like the mxr ten band, the memory man, and the ISP decimator are a huge hit, I'm definitely gonna check those out, although I'd still like to try the mxr delay. Also would the bad monkey or tubescreamer or DS-1 or any OD be a good boost for my amp AND could it also be used to tighten up the overdrive? Also I'm liking the boss super chorus pedal, any other good chorus suggestions?

Keep em coming

EDIT: Oh and also I'm gonna need a pedal tuner...that can read the note F (because my Korg GA-30 can't, I have to go to G double flat )
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by mrxtreme_4
Thanks for the quick replies! So fa it looks like the mxr ten band, the memory man, and the ISP decimator are a huge hit, I'm definitely gonna check those out, although I'd still like to try the mxr delay. Also would the bad monkey or tubescreamer or DS-1 or any OD be a good boost for my amp AND could it also be used to tighten up the overdrive? Also I'm liking the boss super chorus pedal, any other good chorus suggestions?

Keep em coming

EDIT: Oh and also I'm gonna need a pedal tuner...that can read the note F (because my Korg GA-30 can't, I have to go to G double flat )

the korg ca-30 is better

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Quote by killerscorpion
Boss DD-7 is a really nice delay and i think a DS-1 would give you a nice distortion

On a XXX, please go home.

If the OD is just to boost the lead channel or tighten it up, then the bad monkey would be a good choice. I'd also look into a tubescreamer or sorts. I'd definitely give the LPB-1 a shot. I'd also shoot IbanezPsycho a pm since he owns that amp.

I've heard nothing but good things about the korg pitchblack tuner.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
you may want to consider some kind of analogue chorus, it just seems a lot warmer and deeper to me (though power supply would be a must, those things drain batteries like nothing).
Quote by Stratoblaster73
you may want to consider some kind of analogue chorus, it just seems a lot warmer and deeper to me (though power supply would be a must, those things drain batteries like nothing).

I just listed the boss cause its the only one I could think of, I'm not really that big on it so I don't know much about chorus pedals, but I am interested in getting one, please list
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
Oh and also I'm gonna need a pedal tuner...that can read the note F (because my Korg GA-30 can't, I have to go to G double flat )

Check out the Ibanez LU20 Chromatic Tuner. True Bypass so it's transparent and won't effect your signal. You can just stick it into your signal chain and step on it when you need to tune up. Nice big display so no stooping to read it
Delay: Deluxe Memory Man (EHX) or Sunny Day Delay (Dr. Scientist)

OD: OCD (Fulltone) or PM the.spine.surfs for a really bad ass 808 clone.

Noise Reducer: Smart Gate (MXR) or Decimator (ISP)

Chorus: Small Clone (EHX) or Cosmichorus (Dr. Scientist)
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Delay- Carbon Copy or Nova Delay

Chorus- Boss CE-2 or Small Clone

Boost- Maxon od9 or Ts9
thanks guys, I'm pretty set on what I'm gonna look for now.

Ohhh and a reverb pedal, can't believe I forgot that.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
if you need lots of functions from the delay check out the EH stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, it has the tap feature so you can set the repeats to match the beats. Also has a nice reverse and a looper. The mxr carbon copy is a great sounding analogue pedal though, and there is a little less delay time compared to a Maxon AD-999

The T-Rex Replica is fantastic, but has a high price. It's digital but sounds analogue with brown button engaged. Also has the tap facility.

Bad Monkeys are ok for the money, but a tubescreamer is more transparant and will give you the option of more or less gain.... so you could do a clean boost with it. Check out the T-Rex Mudhoney, a very nice overdrive then a fat distortion when the boost button is pressed.

Peterson Strobostomp is awesome. Once you get the strobe reading it's really fast and very acurate.