Ok guys, so i finally have learned a variety of scales, but im hit with another problem...

How exactly would i go about applying them into my music (Mainly Solos and quick metal riffs?) I know how to play the actual scales, but i dont know how to incorporate them into my playing. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guy!
play the notes in the scale with a rhythym, repeat some of the notes, sequence them and such
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
ok, i see... kinda

so, imagine this:

E|-----------------------------
B|-------------20----------17
G|-----17-19-----20-19----

As a crappy example, would that work for the pentatonic scale? its the same figure, just shifting strings
Last edited by SMB13 at Oct 26, 2008,
no that wouldnt work for the pentatonic scale because the semitone interval between the 20 and the 19 does not appear in the pentatonic scale. It may work as a lick in the major scale but deffinately not as a pentatonic lick.

Heres an example, take position one of the Major pentatonic in D

|-----------------------------------------10-12---|
|--------------------------------10-12------------|
|-------------------------9-11---------------------|
|-----------------9-12-----------------------------|
|----------9-12------------------------------------|
|-10-12--------------------------------------------|

any of those notes will work in a D maj progression. so work with them, encorporate slides hammer ons, pulloffs and vibrato. Find sequences within those notes that sound interesting to you and create musical ideas out of that. Simplest form of this would be playing through the notes using a shuffle rhythm.
use your favourite licks you like and use different scales to make up the notes. You get different sound using the same patterns that you already know.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
|----------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------5b7-------------------------|
|--------------5-6-7--------7-----------------------|
|-5--5--5-8-----------------------------------------|

this is my latest i'm trying to work around, sounds blues-ey and cool. Not sure where I'd like to go from there just yet, but that's what makes me pick up the damn thing every day..

by the way I've NEVER tabbed before so sorry if it looks a bit crude..
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by bluesbreaker88
no that wouldnt work for the pentatonic scale because the semitone interval between the 20 and the 19 does not appear in the pentatonic scale. It may work as a lick in the major scale but deffinately not as a pentatonic lick.

Heres an example, take position one of the Major pentatonic in D

|-----------------------------------------10-12---|
|--------------------------------10-12------------|
|-------------------------9-11---------------------|
|-----------------9-12-----------------------------|
|----------9-12------------------------------------|
|-10-12--------------------------------------------|

any of those notes will work in a D maj progression. so work with them, encorporate slides hammer ons, pulloffs and vibrato. Find sequences within those notes that sound interesting to you and create musical ideas out of that. Simplest form of this would be playing through the notes using a shuffle rhythm.

ok, im starting to get it now... thanks guys
try learning the scale all over the neck of the guitar its a really handy thing to know
yeah knowing a scale does not mean just knowing the first position of A minor Pentatonic, the one everyone knows

Learn it all over the neck, and know the names of the notes
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by SMB13
Ok guys, so i finally have learned a variety of scales, but im hit with another problem...

How exactly would i go about applying them into my music (Mainly Solos and quick metal riffs?) I know how to play the actual scales, but i dont know how to incorporate them into my playing. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guy!

You use scales in the same way you use letters to make words, words to make sentences and sentences to make a story.

Read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section. Like Teh GIR learning a bunch of random single position scale patterns isn't "learning scales", you've just learned one small part of one aspect of a scale, namely where it appears on the guitar. You haven't actually learned much of anything about the scale itself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com