I am considering getting this guitar because I want a Les Paul style guitar and Agile gets such high praise from UG.

A couple of questions:

(1) How thick is the neck compared to something like a Schecter Hellraiser?

(2) Are stock Agile pickups good for death metal or will I have to replace them?

(3) Do Agiles usually have good build quality?

(4) How does it compare to other non-Gibson Les Pauls? (Epiphone, ESP, etc.)
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
No experience with Agile but you'll probably want hotter pickups than that if your main genre is death metal.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Definetely change the pickups. Get the one with EMG 81/85, it's only $500, and still cheaper than any decent Epi LP.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
Definetely change the pickups. Get the one with EMG 81/85, it's only $500, and still cheaper than any decent Epi LP.

I already have a Hellraiser with EMG's and the tone is pretty good, but I'll probably keep passives in this one and put a Seymour Duncan Distortion/Jazz combo in if I change pickups down the road.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
1) I've never played a Hellraiser, but the neck is a "vintage" style LP neck. My bro has a 3100. It's not the baseball bat style, but it's a little thick. Really the guitar plays so nice and smooth that you will get used to the neck very quickly

2) The stock pups are again vintage style. They are warm and tight sounding. Pretty good all round pups, but they probably don't have the output you would want for death metal. For that I'd go with some SD Blackouts. They blow the EMG's out of the water IMO and are more versitile.

3) Awesome build quality. I have an Agile PS900 and it's probably built better than my Gibson Explorer. Seriously. The QC on the Agiles is really good. Just look what he is offering for "B-Stocks". Most guitar companies wouldn't put them up as B-Stocks and just sell them normal.

And if you ever did have any problem, Kurt's customer service is bar none. My bro wanted to change all his hardware to gold on his 3100. Kurt sent him all new hardware, including Grover 18:1 tuners, gold TOM, new black pick guard and cavity casings for $40 shipped to Canada and it arrived in 2 days. How awesome is that? If you go on the Agile forums, you will see many of the same kind of stories. Rest assured, if you buy an Agile, you are going to be taken care of.

4) The 3100 is just as nice as any high end Epiphone I've played, if not nicer. Don't know about ESP as I've never played them.
Last edited by madrigal77 at Oct 26, 2008,