Ok, I was just wondering if any of you take songs you like and disect them. And if you do how do you go about it.

Like, finding what key it's in, the time sig., tempo, etc.
That actually sounds like a pretty interesting thing to do...maybe I'll try it at some point.
well use your ear 2 figure out the song...play it see if its happy or sad... or w.e.. and find the scale.. compare with scales online if needed.....then listen 2 how many beats per measure to find out time sig......then set metronome 2 time sig and adjust speed tille they match bpm
Quote by MusicMethod
Ok, I was just wondering if any of you take songs you like and disect them. And if you do how do you go about it.

I do this when I make a guitar pro tab of any song.

First I find the tuning, by finding the lowest note in the song, then tuning the lowest string to that note.

For the timing i usually play the song through headphones and listen along to the GP until i get the right tempo
does anyone got more indepth into the song
like past the guitar into the vocals and such?
and what do they look for?
Analyse how the melody (be it vocal or some other instrument) interacts with the underlying chords (harmony). Determine what chords tones, extensions or alterations are being played over the chords, and take note of what kind of sound they create.

For example: Bar X is a Dmin7 chord; the melody make uses of a Dm arpeggio with a ninth for added colour.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by sam b

First I find the tuning, by finding the lowest note in the song, then tuning the lowest string to that note.

This is all good unless it is a song with a capo and you snap your string lol.

TS: I always try to analise any songs I learn. Determine the key and pick out the chord progression in terms of intervals from the root chord. Like if its a I IV V as common example so you see what im talking about. Then if im learning a solo ill try to see what scale the original artist was basing off of. Ill also analise licks that i like by seeing what intervals its made of so I get an idea of how intervals sound good over certain chords. Its not a chore for me at all im very curious and its been helping me a lot. I recommend doing this. I take things from songs that i can use in my own work or improv/jamming etc.. in this way. I dont just want to learn the lick that i think sounds badass i want to understand why it sounds badass.