Page 1 of 2
Okay, the fact that my strap comes off every time I put my guitar on its stand is bugging me, not to mention that I'm still using the Fender strap that came with my Squier Strat Pack. Oh, and the part with the holes on that strap is leather and it's slowly being cut away.

So...cliplock or straplocks? Either way, know that I can screw/unscrew stuff, but I'm not going tofile screws or use toothpicks or any crap like that. If I have to put a new screw in, it better fit the hole in my guitar.

I've heard many people swear by the Cliplocks ($20), but I've heard that they scratch the guitar. Is this true? And to install, I basically take out the screw, stick the strap in, and screw it back? If so, why do they come with their own screws?

If I go straplocks, the two companies I know of that make them are Schaller and Dunlop. Which one works better, and will I have to do anything non-basic to install them? The other problem with this is I have to buy the straplocks and a new strap...

So, which would you recommend?
Last edited by tigerking615 at Oct 26, 2008,
Get schaller straplocks. The design is much more solid than the dunlop. Using toothpick in a hole that is too big is actually very effective and simple to do.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I would say clip lock, only because if you go with straplock you would have to unscrew the screw and screw it back in in order to take it off and I think that weakens the hold of the screw.
DiMarzio Clip lock,
very durable and highly recommended
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Got a DiMarzio cliplock strap, never looked back, comes with everything you need to install including both black and chrome screws to match your hardware, nice long adjustable strap too.
Don't take me too seriously.

Live Life
Dunlop straplocks, specifically the dual design ones. If you lose your strap, you can use one that doesn't have the locks and be fine; the strap buttons are huge.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have Schaller straplocks on all of my guitars, they work great never had any fail in the past 15-20 years.
Quote by guylee
why not get a new strap? sounds like you will need to soon anyway

Yeah, I'm going to, I'm trying to decide between a Cliplock strap or a normal strap and straplocks in my guitar.

So no one has ever had scratching problems with the Cliplock?
I like the design on the schallers since they only have two things that can fail:

1. If it's not properly screwed into the guitar, this is easy to get right this would cause any strap button or lock device of any kind to fail
2. If you don't tighten the washer onto the strap right. I messed this up and my strat still didn't fall off. Just make sure you crank it down with a socket wrench and check it periodically and you'll be fine.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I like the design on the schallers since they only have two things that can fail:

1. If it's not properly screwed into the guitar, this is easy to get right this would cause any strap button or lock device of any kind to fail
2. If you don't tighten the washer onto the strap right. I messed this up and my strat still didn't fall off. Just make sure you crank it down with a socket wrench and check it periodically and you'll be fine.

Thanks, that does sound nice

But original questions: Do Cliplocks scratch the guitar? Do I need to drill or fill the holes for either of the straplock types?
Maybe, but I think you underestimate how well it works. If you have some skills you could always plug the old holes and re drill them.
Quote by tigerking615
Thanks, that does sound nice

But original questions: Do Cliplocks scratch the guitar? Do I need to drill or fill the holes for either of the straplock types?

i dont believe the cliplocks would scratch a guitar if used correctly, but i dont recommend them.

the screws for straplocks should be a good, snug fit for the screws they are replacing, as long as you dont tamper with the width of the holes while unscrewing/overtightening the screws, so just be gentle while installing the straplocks.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i dont believe the cliplocks would scratch a guitar if used correctly, but i dont recommend them.

the screws for straplocks should be a good, snug fit for the screws they are replacing, as long as you dont tamper with the width of the holes while unscrewing/overtightening the screws, so just be gentle while installing the straplocks.

Why wouldn't you recommend cliplocks?
Straplocks are more solid? Remember, in almost anything you get what you pay for. If it's holding the my guitar up it better be ****ing stout.
Love my cliplok strap and I don't see why it would scratch the back of a guitar where others would not. I never felt secure with the strap lock type devices for some reason. And I guess that the plastic buckles are the weak point in the system but I have never had a problem with my buckles and I've never heard about someone having problems with their own. You can buy them with metal buckles anyway.

My only complaint is that the strap is pretty long so you can't wear the guitar real high.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I have the Dunlop Dual Design straploks. They are great! The screws went in perfectly on my Les Paul. All I do is push a button if I want to take my strap off.
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
Quote by Kakashi98
I have the Dunlop Dual Design straploks. They are great! The screws went in perfectly on my Les Paul. All I do is push a button if I want to take my strap off.

That scares the hell out of me. All you have to do it bump something just right and say good bye. I like that with the schallers you have to pull to release.
Quote by Kevin Saale
That scares the hell out of me. All you have to do it bump something just right and say good bye. I like that with the schallers you have to pull to release.

true, that was my only fear when i got some. i have yet to actually hit them, so i think they are good (until i do hit the button lol).

although the system behind the dunlop dual-designs is quite interesting. are the schallers based on the same ball-bearing compression system?
No, the are basically a u with a pin that slide into the top of the button. Even if the pin failed the u would still hold the button since its slides around the button. This shows very well what I mean. They basically can't fail.
It takes a quite amount of force to actually push the button...
My Gear: For sale/trade:
Epi Les Paul Custom SPF I-5 delay
Fender Jazzmaster MXR 1O band EQ
Line 6 DL4
Fulltone OCD
Verbzilla
EB volume pedal
Ampeg Reverberocket
i only use duncan straplocks because the cliplock strap is too long and I can't get it up above my belly which is where I usually play my guitars. Cliplocks work well, but the duncans have never failed me.

P.S. if you're using a guitar that has a strap button on the back of the guitar like an sg or an explorer the schaller straplocks will stab you until you take them off. i nearly died.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
so does that mean they can swivel 360 degrees? it looks as though if they do pivot to a point (inverted) where the u-nut would slide out, then that would cause the strap to come off, causing a major no-no.

They can, but there is a pin that goes down into the button. So, for them to fail the pin would have to fail(it's held down by a spring and it's very strong) and then the lock would have to pivot 180 degress (very hard to do while you're wearing the guitar) and then the guitar would fall out.

SML make a goob point about the explorer and sg.
Quote by Kevin Saale
They can, but there is a pin that goes down into the button. So, for them to fail the pin would have to fail(it's held down by a spring and it's very strong) and then the lock would have to pivot 180 degress (very hard to do while you're wearing the guitar) and then the guitar would fall out.

SML make a goob point about the explorer and sg.

ahhh that is a nice fail-safe. i'll have to look into them for future use perhaps, although i'll stick the the dual-designs for now.
^Yup, and you'd be able to see that the pin had failed since the thingie you pull would be sticking out.
the schallers are great, but make sure you keep them tight. mine loosened a bit over time and turned all the way around and my guitar fell out of them onto a concrete floor with thin carpet over it. ouch...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have DiMarzio Cliplocks on my Ibanez, Schaller Straplocks on my Aria and Dunlop Dual-Designs on my Edwards and Jackson.

I really like the DiMarzios, much easier to use as they come off more easily, they've been on it for over a year (the previous owner put them on) and they've yet to scratch anything on the guitar.

The Schallers are pretty solid though, I like them a lot more than the Dunlops, not so much because of the functionality, but just because the Dunlops are so much bigger and look kinda stupid
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat

P.S. if you're using a guitar that has a strap button on the back of the guitar like an sg or an explorer the schaller straplocks will stab you until you take them off. i nearly died.

took a while for someone to mention this

very very painful if it catches you the wrong way
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by Kevin Saale

you do have to consciously push the button on the dunlops to release it (plus its recessed). if you hit something hard enough (and happened to hit the exact right point) to release the lock, you'd already have a dent in your guitar bigger than it would get from hitting the floor.

im looking into the different options for my second electric which is due to arrive after the weekend. my strat has had the dunlop straplocks for years now and never had a problem. yeah it can spin 360s round i think its on ball bearings?

the only reason im looking elsewhere for the new guitar is that the strap button stack is quite a bit bigger than the standard strap buttons. i think it makes it look a little crap really.

does anyone know of a decent system that is a little more flush?
I'v been using Dimarzio Cliplocks for over 6 years on my ESP 5 years on my PRS and just over a year on my Ibanez . Not one bit of damage on either the strap or guitar yet. The only reason I can think of to not use them is if I found a nice leather strap I really liked. Not an easy task I might add as I'm yet to find a strap that I really like and Iv been looking 15 years.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
you know i may just give those a go. look like they would go unnoticed on your strap. hopefully they are secure enough. . . cheers for the tip red strat
Quote by Demigawd
I have Schaller straplocks on all of my guitars, they work great never had any fail in the past 15-20 years.

+1

except i can only vouch for 3 years

the schallers are great though, and cheaper than the dunlops
im having the same problem as u dude my fender strap is starting to come off alot not like it used too and i already dropped my guitar once and other times i caught it before it fell so i think im gonna have to buy a new strap or get dimarzio cliplocks depends on how much $$$ i have...
I use Schaller and dunlops tbh the dunlop is easier and you can still use the strap buttons if u lose the locks.... where as the schaller its useless, Ive lost many locking nuts off a schaller strap locks. You could always put a washer over the strap buttons works well and its cheap
I dont use the straplocks cause i think they look like sh*t when they are installed. I bought the schallers and put them on my LP but i took them straight off and returned them to the shop because when the strap isn't on they rattle and they just dont like right on the guitar.
Page 1 of 2