Hey Ug i was just wondering if there are any cellists that roam around here? I am thinking of taking it up and would just like to hear some experiences with the instrument. Things like was it hard to learn? etc.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
yeah I play. It's rewarding once you get good, but don't think it applies much to guitar at all. If you practice often, you'll improve alot.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
The cello is a wonderful instrument to learn how to play. It has a very rich sound and plays beautifully. It's not hard to learn. Now, if you're used to guitar, then learning cello will be different. Orchestral instruments and such require a certain posture and form so you're limited in that respect against guitar. And if you don't know how to already, you'll have to learn how to read sheet music, which is also fun. But it's a fun instrument to learn and play and hey, how many people play cello that talk about it? Everyone says "yeah, I play guitar" or "I play piano" but what about "hey, I play cello"...not so much these days in mainstream people.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
I play Upright bass primarily but I have played around with a cello and there are some similarities. It isn't something you can be self-taught in, there are too many things such as the way you hold the bow to the way you place your left hand and many other things. You would NEED an instructor for something like a cello. It's harder to learn than guitar but it's a very worthy effort.
^no way man. I would never force someone to get lessons, because lessons are not required to play an instrument. You can get quite good if you teach yourself the proper techniques and posture.

Now a teacher would help you improve faster if you don't know where to begin, or if you want to get really serious about playing.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
yeah i can read sheet music as i also play the clarinet. What would be a good starting cello to get? I dont want to spend too much money and i havent really researched anything =\
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Well, I played upright bass for a year before getting lessons and according to my teacher my bow hold, thumb placement and vibrato was completely wrong so I had to "unlearn" that before learning proper techniques. Once I did learn all that it DRAMATICALLY improved my tone and stopped my right hand from getting really sore all the time.

Maybe I was just unlucky but at least a teacher can point you in the right direction.
Quote by aetherspear
^no way man. I would never force someone to get lessons, because lessons are not required to play an instrument. You can get quite good if you teach yourself the proper techniques and posture.

Now a teacher would help you improve faster if you don't know where to begin, or if you want to get really serious about playing.

You can screw up greatly if you don't take lessons for formal instruments. You can't learn orchestral instruments properly without formal help.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Warheart1188
You can't learn orchestral instruments properly without formal help.

I disagree
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Hey I've had a nagging desire to have a go at the cello for a little while too. I think it would be cool, you could do your own string sections! At least I find that cool...anyway I'm interested to see what people say in this thread also. I've heard people say that Violin is a very difficult instrument to learn, is it the same way with Cello? Would you rate it as more/less/about equal difficulty to learning guitar? (I think this is still on-topic, not trying to hijack your thread TS!)
More difficulty definitely, but very much worth the effort as orchestral strings generally have a more singing quality to their tone than guitars.