Page 1 of 2
I want to learn alto sax..how hard is it? Ive never blown an instrument in my life apart from a recorder.
Quote by Tw8xy
I want to learn alto sax..how hard is it? Ive never blown an instrument in my life apart from a recorder.

That's not what I heard.
It was a graveyard smash.
I have played both alto sax, and the one that is a step bigger than it. The hardest thing to do is learn to actually blow into it, and make a clear sound. That should maybe take you a day or two to learn. Sax is a fairly easy instrument to learn, and even get good at. Just build up your lungs, and learn all the note fingerings, and you're good.
Be cool.
i played in music class for about a week..i hated having to control pitch with air power. like,blow harder, and ur up an 5th....
so i switched to tuba, a little easier.but when we did our playing test, i'd hit a couple notes and then laff..and then try to play more while laffing...so ya

....i switched to guitar
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by guylee
**** sax. learn the bassoon

na i dont like it i wanna play coltrane haha
Quote by guylee

Hey. Sax is awesome. I play the bari and I get to say I have the biggest sax in school. Chicks dig it.

Anyways, in the realm of instruments, it's on the easy end of instruments to learn. But, like anything, it takes patience and dedication.

But seriously, tenor sax is the shizz. I play alto, tenor, and bari.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I play a bit of tenor. It's easier to play in tune on than, say, a brass instrument, and you don't have to worry about partials like on a brass instrument; it takes some ****ed up embouchure to get the wrong note out when you're fingering right.
Quote by Tw8xy
na i dont like it i wanna play coltrane haha

well give up now then.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
i've been playing alto for 4 years now, my advice is unless u really like Charlie Parker or some other alto player, get a tenor or soprano. all the fingerings are the same, once u learn one of them, you know all of them (however you'll have to adapt with embouchure some and slight things like that). Alto is in E-flat, so transposition is tedious. tenor and soprano are in B-flat. its not that hard to play if you are dedicated to it and have a good teacher. if u practice often, after about 2 years you'll be able to start some challenging jazz. however if u just play it for school or something like that, remember you'll be slowed down by the rest of the band. so practice a few hours a day if you can, and itll be easier. if u practice only 10 minutes a day, it can be easy as well, it all depends on teacher and dedication.
-------Gary Coy Smith---------

Epiphone G-400 1966 RI
Dean ML XM
EHX Big Muff
Epiphone Valve Jr
Guitar Rig 4
Quote by grampastumpy
I play a bit of tenor. It's easier to play in tune on than, say, a brass instrument, and you don't have to worry about partials like on a brass instrument; it takes some ****ed up embouchure to get the wrong note out when you're fingering right.

what does this mean

does it matter what shaped teeth you have? im british haha. I cant whistle with fingers or blow chewing gum bubbles

also is it actually like singing the notes? do the amount of notes you can get depend on your vocal range?

finally is there something that makes it quieter?
Quote by guylee

HELL YES!
'sup guylee? Haven't seen you around in a while.
Saxophone is a fairly easy instrument to pick up.
Quote by Tw8xy

LOLOLOLOLOLOL U SED BLOW!!!!!

Anyway, you spelled Saxophone wrong.
Sax is one of the easier wind instruments to learn IMO, the bassoon, hile awesome, is really really hard to learn.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Tw8xy
what does this mean

does it matter what shaped teeth you have? im british haha. I cant whistle with fingers or blow chewing gum bubbles

also is it actually like singing the notes? do the amount of notes you can get depend on your vocal range?

Mouth position. Conservatively tucking the end of the mouthpiece/reed into your mouth versus sucking off the whole neck, for example.

Your teeth should not be making contact with the reed.

Vocal range has nothing to do with it.

Sax is a loud instrument, no real way around it beyond excellent dynamics.
i play sax. learn it its gud.
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Quote by guylee

My band teacher calls the bassoon a farting bedpost

And yes. I play alto and tenor and could play baritone and soprano. YEEEE-AAAAHHHH BOOOOO-EEEEEEEEE!
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I play tenor sax, (same fingerings) it's pretty easy, a helluva lot easier then guitar or piano or something.
it's one of the easier wind instruments to get a sound out of. If you are willing to practice, you'll be fine. Taking jazz/blues lessons is amazing if you can get a good teacher.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
I play the saxophone. It's very easy, and doesn't take nearly as much skill to play as other instruments.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
thanks every1 ill report back in a few months. i cant wait to play a love supreme lol
Quote by Tw8xy
what does this mean

1. Embouchre is the overall shape of you mouth when playing. The shape and pressure of your lips around the mouthpiece, the placement of your tongue (higher or lower in the mouth, don't move it side to side), the openness of your throat. There's a lot of subtlety involved in that, but at first you'll just worry about having a good embouchre without the subtleties of intonation. Changes can affect pitch and are often used to correct intonation issues on the instrument.
2. I don't think so.
3a. It can be. Some really advanced musicians sing into their instruments. My bassoon teacher back home originally sang (she tore a vocal cord and had to stop), so she naturally sings as she plays. I think it can improve your tone, but it helps if your sing in tune.
3b. Your singing range doesn't matter.
EDIT:
Quote by Angus_Junior35
My band teacher calls the bassoon a farting bedpost

And yes. I play alto and tenor and could play baritone and soprano. YEEEE-AAAAHHHH BOOOOO-EEEEEEEEE!

Farting bedpost, baboon, bazooka, etc. All so old even the necrophiliacs won't touch those jokes anymore.
EDIT2: Forgot about the quieter question. There's probably something designed for that purpose, but a rolled-up sock in the bell probably works.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 26, 2008,
sax is amazing! i play sax and if you like the blues, you can put it in the album which is what im doin! so yeah its fun do it man
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
go to a rental place and ask them for a good beginner sax. You won't want to buy one starting out probably as decent ones are hella expensive, and cheapones can be pretty much unplayable.

Last.fm
Quote by Tw8xy
thanks every1 ill report back in a few months. i cant wait to play a love supreme lol

Ha. Good one.
Quote by Tw8xy
oo

whats a good sax to get brand wise?

Yamaha YAS-23

One of the nicer beginner range saxes on the market. I've been playing for about 5 years and right now it's my horn for marching band. I bought mine used for around 400 bucks 5 years ago, so look around in shops near you that would possibly have used horns.

You're also gonna have to decide what you want to play as far as alto or tenor. Obviously you're not going to want to start on bari or soprano because they require a slightly different embouchure style. And to whoever said to get a tenor because it's in Bb, I don't think he'll be transposing Coltrane tunes anytime soon...

EDIT: You can PM me if you have more in depth questions.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
ahh ok then, well the only recent model I've tried was a mid range Yamaha, it was pretty damn good. (my sax was made in the 1930s)

Last.fm
i play tenor and alto and i have to say that perfecting the embouchure is the hardest thing to do, memorizing the fingerings is just like learning basic chords on guitar, it's simple, and once you get it it's really easy. learn tenor sax, it's better than alto, and sounds waaaay sexier
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
Quote by dsotm73
learn tenor sax, it's better than alto, and sounds waaaay sexier

After hearing most of the tenor players at my school, it's the complete opposite .
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
Quote by metalicarules24
Yamaha YAS-23

One of the nicer beginner range saxes on the market. I've been playing for about 5 years and right now it's my horn for marching band. I bought mine used for around 400 bucks 5 years ago, so look around in shops near you that would possibly have used horns.

You're also gonna have to decide what you want to play as far as alto or tenor. Obviously you're not going to want to start on bari or soprano because they require a slightly different embouchure style. And to whoever said to get a tenor because it's in Bb, I don't think he'll be transposing Coltrane tunes anytime soon...

EDIT: You can PM me if you have more in depth questions.

id want to get a tenor and alto of pro quality. Basically i get instruments free because im a pro musician so its non taxed by the government
Quote by metalicarules24
After hearing most of the tenor players at my school, it's the complete opposite .

This.

God i remember most of them being so damn incompetent.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.
Quote by Tw8xy
id want to get a tenor and alto of pro quality. Basically i get instruments free because im a pro musician so its non taxed by the government

Try a Yamaha YAS or YTS 52 if you're looking for higher quality. Not the top of the line, but still great instruments. Also you need to know that it's not as much of the horn that gets a good tone, it's more of the mouthpiece/reed combination. Just starting out, I'd say a Selmer C* S80 mouthpiece and a Vandoren Traditional Size 2 1/2 reed would be ideal.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
you might want to start with a #2 reed, actually, or get one of each (they aren't very expensive) because if you start too thick you'll end up pretty muc just blowing harmonics and that's no good.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you might want to start with a #2 reed, actually, or get one of each (they aren't very expensive) because if you start too thick you'll end up pretty muc just blowing harmonics and that's no good.

Yeah, I'd go with this idea. A box of 10 isn't too expensive ($30 averagely) and if you go to a good store they can usually split the box (5 2's and 5 2 1/2's).

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
Page 1 of 2