well i want to get into bass now and i was wondering what would be better a Squire p bass or a MIM Fender Jazz Bass, oh and i play grunge and punk, surf, and some ska, so which one would be better suited
A Jazz Bass would be far more versatile tonally than a P Bass. Also, MIM Fenders are higher quality than Squiers (although the Vintage Modified basses aren't bad at all).

I'd go with a Jazz Bass, but try a P Bass yourself, you might like it more.
I would go with the va-jay-jay bass...
/fail.

On a more serious note, you should get the jazz bass because its tons more versatile.
But I think a Squier VM jazz bass might give you more bang for the buck, its all up to you chief. I'd try it out before you get it, it might not be your cuppa tea.
Quite a few punk bands favor the P-bass. You should definitely try both before buying.
P-bass. better for grunge and punk. I like both for ska equally.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd go with the MIM Jazz. Have you tried either one yet?
Quote by futurejimmypage
HOLEY MOLEY MACCARONI!!!! you are like 7 hours into the future. Whats it like? is the war over? is bush dead? Are the new episodes of family guy out yet? is global warming over? Did they unfreeze walt Disney???

well ive tried the p bass well a squire one, but i saw a jazz bass for about $300 and it seemed like a good deal
well i mainly want something good for surf rock or that tone, and i really like klaus flourides sound on dead kennedys, and he has a jazz bass but i also want something that can drive and have presence
jazz bass can drive for sure. it has plenty of presence. you obviously like that. stick with that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd say Jazz, but I'm too biased. Go with the P-bass if you want a really punchy/poppy tone.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
P-Bass. A nice big thump goes nicely with all of those styles.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dispute solved. This is assuming the TS has the $650 for a Deluxe P-Bass.
well i play grunge,alternative rock,punk,and surf,and i recently got a fender jazz bass for around 500$,so i would suggest the fender jazz bass,although i do have a complaint about no thumbrest being on it,but you could probably easily install one
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
hey i got a fender jazz bass today after many numerous times playing my friends one and i would go with the jazz you can get the sound you want from a jazz aswell and having a really nice tone to go along with it. but i would still try both as you may prefer the feel of a p bass
Quote by pwrmax
Around $480.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass-516042-i1148889.gc

And I also prefer a Jazz bass but that's not to say that a P-bass is bad.

$480?! mine was £345 and that's really cheap for england i hate the economy
Guitar
Ibanez - S5470F
Epiphone - Les Paul Black Beauty
Line 6 - Spider II 210 - deceased :/
Blackstar HT studio 20
Farida D-8

Bass
Fender MIM Jazz
Ashdown ABM C115T-500 EVO II
Quote by seizureman
well i want to get into bass now and i was wondering what would be better a Squire p bass or a MIM Fender Jazz Bass, oh and i play grunge and punk, surf, and some ska, so which one would be better suited

I really don't understand why you're looking at a Squier P and a MIM J, why not look at a MIM P and MIM J? They're the same price.

Oh, and I'd go for a MIM P, because you plan on playing grunge, punk, surf and ska.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
I really don't understand why you're looking at a Squier P and a MIM J, why not look at a MIM P and MIM J? They're the same price.

Oh, and I'd go for a MIM P, because you plan on playing grunge, punk, surf and ska.

Yeah, BUT if he likes the feel/tone of the jazz more, he can incorporate his own sound into the music. so it's not that simple. Just try both and decide on the basis of that, there really is no better way to decide.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by !!NICK!!!
$480?! mine was £345 and that's really cheap for england i hate the economy

Mexican or Japanese? Also if it's Mexican, you have to take into account that it has to cross an entire ocean to get to the UK and overseas shipping is a bitch.