How often each day do you really sit down and work on: (for example) sight reading, scales, arpeggios, technique excersies, ear training, genre/music study and many more?

If you grab your bass and play whatever you feel like that, that's not strictly practicing, that's just jacking off.

I feel, with two hours a day of practicing all the above, I'm practicing enough; but i'd like to practice more. I just feel burnt out after that much, how does everyone else approach their own practicing?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Only about half an hour tops.
Unfortunately I don't love "actual practicing", so that's the most I can do.

However I do feel like there are ways to incorporate "actual practicing" with "jacking off".
For ex. Lube.

But seriously doing something like say... the keyboard arpeggio break for Knights of Cydonia on my Bass is what I consider a good blend.

I love the song, but I also get good work on arpeggios etc.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Pretty much never, so i'm not really progressing.
I only really play when my band have band practice or when i'm bored.
i usually try to practice everyday usually miss bout 1 day a week but keep good most of the time
I put in 1 + hours a day. I find if I don't, when I get to my Monday night jazz/blues group it shows. Since I've been playing jazz, I've really put a bit more time into scales and arpeggios than before.

By the advise of a former teacher, I started a journal. It really makes me think about what I play each day and how much time I spend on each part of my practice routine.. Because I have to balance work, family and daily life with practice, I really have to work at being efficient with my practice time.
Quote by Forcemaster
How often each day do you really sit down and work on: (for example) sight reading, scales, arpeggios, technique excersies, ear training, genre/music study and many more?

If you grab your bass and play whatever you feel like that, that's not strictly practicing, that's just jacking off.

I understand what your saying but I disagree thats like saying to practice playing basketball you have to be running plays and playing defense and shooting jumpers is dickin around.
It depends on how you play whatever you want it you're literally just playing whatever comes to mind then yeah thats not the best of what to do. If you're playing something and trying to perfect it, taking notice of everything then thats practicing.

I practice maybe for an hour a day on a good day, but most days its a half hour, and I try to focus on something different each day.
i play about 2 hours a day, but i never practice scales and theory and stuff, because i can't read it. I just write my own stuff by how it sounds, and i know the patterns, but not the names for them. you don't really need to practice all your theory and stuff to not be "jacking off" as you put it.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
I practice the same way bro hahaha, and then i read theory and rhythm books at school for counting/ sight reading. i usually practice 2 hours a day sometimes 4 hours if im really into it. but it depends
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
according to your standards of practicing i never practice, instead i find the tab to a song i wanna play and i learn that song so far my stlyes worked pretty good condsideing i can play songs like beast and the harlot, good times bad times and Almost easy.
But i agree that there are advantages to actual practice i just think its really boring
I usually practice for an hour and play for an hour each day. On weekends I spend 4-5 hours daily with my bass, playing, practicing, just noodling around.
Quote by quicksilver25
I understand what your saying but I disagree thats like saying to practice playing basketball you have to be running plays and playing defense and shooting jumpers is dickin around.
It depends on how you play whatever you want it you're literally just playing whatever comes to mind then yeah thats not the best of what to do. If you're playing something and trying to perfect it, taking notice of everything then thats practicing.

I practice maybe for an hour a day on a good day, but most days its a half hour, and I try to focus on something different each day.

I think I could have probably worded that better, but my point was about having a clear structure for what you want to do, and actively trying to improve it. Rather than just simply playing.

And to anarkee, the jazz stuff is killer! I started working on walking basslines on wednesday, i'm terrible at them! I've been hammering out my arpeggio practice this week in an attempt to improve.

There was a brilliant quote on a Nathan East DVD I have when the interviewer asked him about practicing.

He remarked: "If I don't practice for a day, I notice it. If I don't practice for a few days, the band notice it. If I don't practice for a week, the audience notice. You don't want to get to that level"
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I'm happy with my theory knowledge etc. Right now I'm just trying to build speed. I spend half an hour to two hours a day on that.
Quote by Forcemaster
I think I could have probably worded that better, but my point was about having a clear structure for what you want to do, and actively trying to improve it. Rather than just simply playing.

Oh I gotcha, we're talking about the same thing then.
I just noodle around for a while when I'm warming up, then I practice with structure to what I'm doing.
I expect all the more serious players here would disapprove of my practice habits.
usually three to four hours a day.
But that's because I have no life.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Do I practicebpractice? Um, well, about that...no, not really.

I mean I do practice. I try to lean a new set of scales every other week. I read up on theory when I'm sitting in my dumbass english class.

But for the most part, I laern new songs, I play songs, I jam with my friends

So, I don't practice as much as should, but I'm getting better and having some fun, and that all that really matters.
I practise at least 2 hours a day, but when I have Band or play at school, then I usally practise 4-5 hours on those days and then I just play for fun sometimes. On this subject does anyone know of a good bass book for improving skills I need a new one.
To all those who practice their scales, arpeggios, speed etc for about an hour a day or whatever you do, how do you practice them? I'm starting to compose with a friend of mine, and we're really getting serious about it. I'm trying to work on my speed and scale knowledge, but I have no idea how to do it. How do you guys go about practicing? Sorry for the hijack, I thought asking here would be more appropriate than wasting bandwidth and starting a new thread.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I don't just sit down and work on scales and such anymore...haven't probably in years for more than 15-20 min. at a time. I mostly jam and try to work in what I already know. I guess I'm working on my practical application of theory. That's not to say I don't often end up writing parts I can't quite play yet. So that's how I progress in accuracy and speed. Just write things that are out of reach.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I've got to the point when my practice has become quite structured and fairly disciplined. My scales are a warmup for a good 30 mins or so. I then move on to songs. I always pick a song that i can learn something from, whether it be lots of mutes, or fast fingering, octaves etc.. I treat the song like an exercise at first, playing it slowly. As i speed up, i can eventually play along with the song, and i move on to the next part of the song. I am currently learning YYZ properly, and obviously this songs needs quick fingers. Songs are not dicking around if you work with them properly and learn from them. I learnt shitloads about Blues just learning Lemon Song. Everything you do on the bass teaches you something.

Next i move on to improv, which is just me jamming for a good hour. This is my most important time, because a musician is someone who can make music, not play someone elses. Sometimes i play to drums, sometimes i play solo, it all depends. I will play a good bit of slap and thumbing during this time too (to warm up).

Then i move on to slapping and thumbing. I usually only spend around half hour or so on this as you do get tired. I usually just play songs here, as i feel i have got to a good enough level with slap that i dont need to run drills now. I am playing Pow, Larry Graham, Mr Pink, Level 42 and Bruce Leee, Marcus Miller at the moment. Great fun, all of them.

Then i finish with some slow scales. I think i watched a vid with whatshisname from Dreamtheater and he talked about warming down. Done it ever since.

So yeah, i practice properly...at the moment. It could all change, life has a habit of getting in the way of things eventually.

p.s not having a bird is great for upping your practice time!!
since i started uni i just haven't had the time to practice properly so now i just pick up my bass 1 every few days and play a couple of challenging songs
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by fleajr_1412
To all those who practice their scales, arpeggios, speed etc for about an hour a day or whatever you do, how do you practice them? I'm starting to compose with a friend of mine, and we're really getting serious about it. I'm trying to work on my speed and scale knowledge, but I have no idea how to do it. How do you guys go about practicing? Sorry for the hijack, I thought asking here would be more appropriate than wasting bandwidth and starting a new thread.

Do EVERYTHING to a metronome, even when noodling it helps. Practice all your excersies at the highest speed you can play them 100% accurately, then gradually work your way up.

Also, try and make everything musical and contextualize it. That is, don't make it sound like a mindless excersie all the time, try to alter it. As for context, try to play a musical riff/passage/phrase/whatever with whatever your practicing.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Truthfully, I have fun with the bass instead of practicing it. I take the scales and make it into a run which I might be able to use for a fill or the other. I take arpeggios and mess with them, put a backing track, voila, a backbone for a song.

I know I'm gonna get flamed but hell, I don't want to be a bass virtuoso, I just want to have fun.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
90% of teh time, I'm "jacking off". Admittedly it's not a good thing, but better to be playing than not and such. I reckon if I had a teacher i might take practice a bit more seriously, but I don't and at the end of the day, I would be a far more orthodox and uninteresting bassist if I had taken one to begin with. Of course, I want lessons now, but that's cause I've hit a bit of an ability ceiling, so it makes sense.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Not as much as I should it's kinda hard for me to practice seriously for long. Plus playing guitar and bass cuts away from my bass practice. So I usually play guitar one day and bass the next.
I play everyday, I honestly only practice twice a week, but both are for extended (3-4 hour) sessions. They mostly consist of reading practice at this point.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I don't really practice....

it's more working out bass lines that fit with stuff my friends write, or jusr trying to come up with cool stuff. I aughta get serious about practicing slap soon though.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I pretty much never, ever practice. I rarely ever play things that are not or do not belong in songs. Not a good thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I find a song that has something that'll challenge or improve my technique, eg. recently i felt i'd hit a bit of a flat, so i looked up Between the Buried and Me, which has provided me with some excellent work on switching between time signatures and playing in odd times, and Protest The Hero, which has improved my tapping no end. Both bands i would never have listened to if it werent for their complex bass, but now im starting to enjoy the genre! Getting into proper tech/prog metal has really enhanced my fingerstyle, now im trying to find songs with lots of harmonics so i can work on those, though they seem short in supply!
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6