ok... mainly a strat user here
looking for some CHEAP, yet somewhat playable les paul guitar to mess with
now, when i say cheap, i mean like under 250 USD cheap

the usual "save up for an epi LP custom" is not an option
i have enough money, but i don't wanna spend over 250 on something im gonna mess with

I always thought those epiphone lp junior 57 reissue were awesome
but i can never find one at a comfortable price range
and i only hear bad things about those regular epiphone les paul juniors

what i DONT like about agiles is that they are noticeably fat compared to normal les pauls (i tried my friend's AL3100... i really did not like the shape)
i would like something that's closer in dimension to regular les paul

what choices do i have now?
Cheaper Epiphone Les Paul, like a special or something.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Definitely Tokai. Those japs make amazing... well... EVERYTHING!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Under $250? That's tough...

You could try Greco, Tokay, Burny, etc., but I don't know about that cheap.
Quote by nightraven
tokai make excellent guitars. scavenge ebay.

over the years, i've realized that it's extremely difficult to find one under $500
especially les paul copies
Yeah, ebay/search used for a Tokai, Vintage or Rally copy. If you're not going to pay out for an Epi Standard, and you don't want an Agile (I don't blame you, I don't like them either), then Tokai, Vintage and Rally are your best bets. Rally and Vintage you might be able to find in your price range new, but it'd be pushing it. You should be able to find a used mid-range Tokai just about in your price range, though the more people realise how good Tokais are, the higher their resale prices are going up, so you might be out of luck on that one.

For what it's worth, Epiphone, Agile, Rally, Vintage and low and mid-range Tokai, are all made int he same factory. They're all of about the same standard. The only difference is, Epi's have better hardware (locktone bridge and 18:1 Grover tuners) and the 'real' body shape, the other brands all have a slightly different body shape 9Vintage and Rally have a sharper 'horn', Tokai are a little less rounded, Agile of course are fatter and have that stumpy horn), but cost significantly less.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Under $250? That's tough...

You could try Greco, Tokay, Burny, etc., but I don't know about that cheap.

I don't think Greco or Burny would even be in his range (I'd say the average Burny costs 550 without throwing in all the import costs to the total).
Quote by Wakisazhi
I don't think Greco or Burny would even be in his range (I'd say the average Burny costs 550 without throwing in all the import costs to the total).

yeah... greco, edwards, burny, orville, tokai
all WAY over my comfy range

I swear i've never seen any les paul copies from them under 500 USD
not sure how much an epi LP standard is where you are but mine is now 3 years old and its fine. stays in tune, nice low (ish) action. sounds great and plays well... dont rule them out if you havent tried them. and dont let anyone here put you off...

if you have tried it and dont like it or its out of price range then fair enough.

dunc
Thank you please.
Go to ebay and you may be able to snag a Epi Les Paul studio under 250. Or craigslist. You can get an actual Les Paul for under 250, just look around a little bit.
tokai gets much acclaim around here for their les paul copies.

as does Edwards.

i haven't tried either personally tho
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Dean?...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously Tokai
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.