I have an audition in about 20 some days and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of thing i should look over for the theory placement test.
I already know:
Scales
Intervals
Chord Construction
Modes
and things like that..

but i was wondering if anyone had any more ideas.
Or if anyone has taken a theory test what it was like.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
cadences and harmonic/non harmonic tones,
chord progressions and their uses in modern and classical musics.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Counterpoint, although that's not enough time to learn it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by TK1
cadences and harmonic/non harmonic tones,
chord progressions and their uses in modern and classical musics.

I know cadences

Non-Harmonic tones like Neighbor tones. passing tones, etc.???
What would harmonic tones be then.. just notes in key?

I know progression theory but not classical..

Thanks!!

Quote by The_Sophist
Counterpoint, although that's not enough time to learn it.

i looked into counterpoint a while ago.. way before i got extremely serious about music..
and now i wish i would have actually studied it.

Is there any little point or concepts that might be useful to know?

Thanks!
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
You pretty much have to know all the species to have it be of any use to you.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
You pretty much have to know all the species to have it be of any use to you.

alright, thanks tho.

any more suggestions.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Four-part harmony? I know I'm doing that in Foundation Theory this semester. Then again I am already in Uni rather than applying for it, so I dunno if that'd be covered on an audition test.
sig goes here
Quote by Skater901
Four-part harmony? I know I'm doing that in Foundation Theory this semester. Then again I am already in Uni rather than applying for it, so I dunno if that'd be covered on an audition test.

I'm not sure if it will be.
I just want to test out of all the easy boring theory classes,
cuz i'm pretty sure i already know enough to get in.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by victoryaloy
alright, thanks tho.

any more suggestions.

Some basic knowledge of time signatures maybe? Simple and compound. Semibreves, minims, crotchets, quavers, that sorta thing.

I dunno, I've never had to do an audition before, so don't know what they'd ask for.
Can you write any of those things down (notate them)? For example, if asked could you write, ascending and descending, Eb melodic minor? Can you recognize intervals, chord inversions, and various scales from written notation? These are the types of things that were on my theory placement exam.

Quote by victoryaloy
I'm not sure if it will be.
I just want to test out of all the easy boring theory classes,
cuz i'm pretty sure i already know enough to get in.

It would actually and most likely be beneficial to take lower level theory courses to solidify your knowledge of the fundamentals of music theory, without which you will undoubtedly struggle in upper level courses.
Last edited by Paquijón at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by Paquijón
Can you write any of those things down (notate them)? For example, if asked could you write, ascending and descending, Eb melodic minor? Can you recognize intervals, chord inversions, and various scales from written notation? These are the types of things that were on my theory placement exam.

I have all that stuff down.
I should probably go over naming scales form written notation, cuz sometimes that can get tricky.

Was there anything on the test that you didnt expect?

Quote by Paquijón

It would actually and most likely be beneficial to take lower level theory courses to solidify your knowledge of the fundamentals of music theory, without which you will undoubtedly struggle in upper level courses.

I know what you mean.. I just dont want to get stuck in the class that stars off with "okay, today were gonna be talking about the treble clef.. space spells face!!", cuz i forgot to look over something like uncommon time sigs before the test.

also i really really like learning on my own so if i could learn new things before the test that would be sweet.
I was looking into Counterpoint yesterday because someone mentioned it, I know i wont be able to master it by the test date but i figured its not gonna hurt to start learning now.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Last edited by victoryaloy at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by victoryaloy

Was there anything on the test that you didnt expect?

Yes, there weren't too many but enough to put me in a lower level course, which I'm actually REALLY happy happened because I've learned so much. A few questions on the exam that I didn't know at the time but have learned since were: notate various modes (g Dorian, Eb Lydian) as well as that eb melodic minor I told you about. Based on what you're saying you seem pretty sure of your stuff, so I'm sure you'll place in a class that is the appropriate level for you.
Quote by Paquijón

"What is a measure?"
"What is rhythm?"
"Is Beethoven from the 16th or the 18th century?"

Omg, those caught me off guard! I agree to take some basic theory courses to have a better grasp in basic things.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
"What is a measure?"
"What is rhythm?"
"Is Beethoven from the 16th or the 18th century?"

Omg, those caught me off guard! I agree to take some basic theory courses to have a better grasp in basic things.

Negligence of the fundamentals is the reason we have so many people posting here claiming that they're playing a song in the key of A Aeolian.
Quote by Paquijón
Yes, there weren't too many but enough to put me in a lower level course, which I'm actually REALLY happy happened because I've learned so much. A few questions on the exam that I didn't know at the time but have learned since were: notate various modes (g Dorian, Eb Lydian) as well as that eb melodic minor I told you about. Based on what you're saying you seem pretty sure of your stuff, so I'm sure you'll place in a class that is the appropriate level for you.

I've gathered a lot from MT. I'm more worried about the audition tho. I cant seem to find the right songs and i have 19 days to learn them. I actually talked to the guy who gives the auditions and he was impressed by one of the scores i pulled out but i'm still looking for the other 2.

if you don't mind me asking.. what did you take the test for?

Quote by jsantos
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Practice your sightreading.

I know this sounds bad but i'm just gonna go without learning how to sightread. Like i said above i talked to the guy who give auditions. I asked him about sight reading and he said that the only advice that he could give me was that some people do amazing playing there peaces and terrible sight reading and still get in, and Some people do terrible playing but amazing sight reading. So i think i'm just going to find songs that fit be perfect so i wont have to worry about sight reading. Cuz i'm terrible at it and i dont think i can get much better in 19 days.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Last edited by victoryaloy at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by victoryaloy

Music majors and minors (which I am) alike at my school are required to take a written theory placement exam separate from the audition regardless of what instrument they play. At your oral audition you'll most likely have to sight-read a few things and be able to play a few chords that they name off. I'm not too sure though, talk to the director or advisor of the music department.
Quote by Paquijón
Negligence of the fundamentals is the reason we have so many people posting here claiming that they're playing a song in the key of A Aeolian.

AAAANnnnddd that's why I'm taking formal theory classes

I haven't taken them, but I could guess that it was to see how knowledgeable you were in theory...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by Paquijón
Music majors and minors (which I am) alike at my school are required to take a written theory placement exam separate from the audition regardless of what instrument they play. At your oral audition you'll most likely have to sight-read a few things and be able to play a few chords that they name off. I'm not too sure though, talk to the director or advisor of the music department.

That's the same way it is here. But we also have a Piano Placement test, that doesnt effect your eligibility at all, unless of course your a Piano Major or Minor. But i'm just gonna play canon in D for that and see what they say! But i dont want to test out of any piano classes because i've never had formal training.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
You would ideally want to be able to notate everything you know onto proper manuscript paper, key sigs, time sigs, cadences, harmony etc. Theory tests are applying everything you know onto paper. Take a pencil :P
Things that haven't already been mentioned:

I don't know how advanced your test will be but these are the sorts of thing (along with what has already been suggested) that have come up in my theory exams.
                          Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Oct 28, 2008,
                          ^^
                          Thanks..
                          A lot of those would be very useful to look over.
                          Quote by joshjhasarrived
                          Quote by victoryaloy
                          ^^
                          Thanks..
                          A lot of those would be very useful to look over.

If you need any help with that stuff the ask, because I've learnt a lot of that for my theory exams.