Page 1 of 3
I have a Spider 3 Line 6 and a Digitech RP50. With the drummer, even full blast, it wasn't nearly loud enough and sounded absolutely horrible. My question is how to know if it is really loud enough? Like how many watts would I need just for it to be loud enough to compete with drums? Thanks much.
depends how hard your drummer hits
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Boredom210
I have a Spider 3 Line 6 and a Digitech RP50.... sounded absolutely horrible.

That's because they're horrible pieces of equipment..

But in answer to your question... 75-100watt combo should be more than enough
If you're going for a valve amp.. then 30watts would do the trick..

Maybe a second hand Marshall DSL?
Although that's not a good choice if you're obsessed with countless FX
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
perhaps don't use a pedal with a modeling amp.... bad idea
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
My drummer plays pretty agressively. Alot of Hard Rock and punk. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the Spider III 30. It's only 30 watts but people are sayings it's fairly well for drummers.
At the time that I bought it, the people at Guitar Center said it was a great mix. It wasn't until I was flat broke that I realized I needed something else. And I don't need really any FX at all. I just got the pedal so I could switch between clean and distorted on some songs, that's it.
Quote by Boredom210
At the time that I bought it, the people at Guitar Center said it was a great mix. It wasn't until I was flat broke that I realized I needed something else. And I don't need really any FX at all. I just got the pedal so I could switch between clean and distorted on some songs, that's it.

If you don't need the FX and you're playing Hard Rock/Punk then look at a second hand Marshall combo. I'd suggest the DSL-401 if you can afford it?

Have a look on eBay at them.. it'd be worth it. 40w all valve amp should handle your drummer..
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by mcrfobtai
Should have just gotten a distortion pedal then. The spiders are bad amps and 30w ss will not cut it

Agreed, the spider is junk anyways.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well that sucks. I only have about 200$ to spend which doesn't seem like it's enough. I was hoping that S3 30 would work. I'll look up the Marshall. You say 40 watts is decent?
If you want to switch channels get one of the FBV pedals then you wouldnt need the multiFX. Still wont solve your problem of needing more volume on an amp that sounds worse the louder it goes.
maybe one of those V crates they're giving away, and a good pedal?

not sure about how heavy they go tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Boredom210
Well that sucks. I only have about 200$ to spend which doesn't seem like it's enough. I was hoping that S3 30 would work. I'll look up the Marshall. You say 40 watts is decent?

Sell amp and pedal. Get $400 total and find a Laney AOR used. Problem solved.
100 times better than what you have now. You're best bet is to go out and try everything in your price range. Avoid spiders, mgs, ravens, flexwaves (or basically any solid state crate, the tube amps like the v series are fine), and tone blaster amps.
Alright, thanks. But doesn't 48 pounds seem a bit... Heavy? Or is that normal for good amps?
Last edited by Boredom210 at Oct 26, 2008,
Its not too bad, I think a 5150 2x12 combo is like 90 pounds.
yeah my at112 is about 50 or 60 pounds. Its a pain soemtimes to lug around...

but you could always go with one of the smaller crates. You could jam with the 18 watt version. Thats going to be louder then a 30 watt solid state amp. Musiciansfriend has one thats scratch and dent that seems like a good deal.

As for the amps, i have not played them personally... so my opinion can only be so accurate, but i have heard that they are amazing for the price. Not going to have the cleans of a deville, or the gain of a 5150, but they are still very good. I have also heard they take pedals very well
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Well the 18 watt is the same price as the 50 and I mean even if it sounds like 30 watts it's going to suck ass seeing as I could get so much more with the only downside being weight. But yeah, the V50 and the DBM overdrive together sounds great, much more affordable than I feared.
I've listened to some of the Bad Monkey Overdrive stuff. It's really not what I need though. Much more distortion for Hard punk and the like, any other suggestions for a pedal?
Well, you normally use it to boost the dirty channel, which is does very well.
Yeah, you add the overdrive on top of the amp's distortion. If that's still not enough, you can use the amp's clean and then something like a Proco Rat pedal.
Ah. Well I heard the V50 has not so good quality for distortion, so I wanted something that'd work with that. I'll just have to mix and match until I find something that works.
The bad monkey isnt what youre going to use for distortion, dude. let me lay this down

If you get the v50 which you should because its dirt cheap right now, the stock overdrive(read: OVERDRIVE, not distortion), isnt going to cut it for heavy metal. It can do rock and some hard rock but not too heavy. You are used to solid state and dont know how tube amps work.

Basically, there are special tubes in there. One set makes the tone, the other makes the volume. The tone set(preamp) doesnt have enough gain to make it overdrive enough for heavier stuff. If you get the v50 and pair it with an od like the bad monkey, it will push more gain into those preamp tubes and overdrive more. On the bad monkey, you set the gain to 0 and the level to 10. All it is doing is making the signal stronger so you can get a more overdriven/distorted sund.

But besides that, the v50 has a very good overdriven sound by itself, but it is better suited for classic rock, the bad monkey rectifies that. My friend recently got a v50 and a boss overdrive and we play metal.
Ok how many watts do I need for a Bass amp? Same? I have an old 150 watt, but I've heard it's only about 50. It's the Gorilla GB70, which has two inputs. And that's another thing, the Crate V50 doesn't have two inputs does it? I need four in total, one for guitar, one for Bass, and one for each microphone.
Whoa there. You should only run a guitar into a guitar amp, bass into a bass amp and everything else should be done with a PA.
We've been putting it through the guitar and bass amps so far and it's worked fine ): We barely have enough for new amps, much less a PA system.
You plug a guitar into a bass amp, but if you use a bass with a guitar amp and guitar speakers you're gonna damage something.
I have a line6 30 and yea it sucks when its above 5, but it actually sounds great through the PA, and is enough power for the stage monitor.
No, we're doing guitar in the guitar amp and one mic, and the bass in the bass amp with another mic. We're not mixing and matching.
^Why not just let the board handle the singers? Or maybe save up for a small PA?
being able to plug a microphone into a guitar amp while a guitar is in there is a luxury "real" amps dont have. They also dont have MP3 in or headphone out. Doesn't work that way. If you plug a guitar and a mic into a tube amp with a splitter or anything it will sound like pure shit, the voice will be overdriven and you risk damaging the amp.

On the other hand, you can get a keyboard amp and use it as a bass amp, and hook up as many vocals as you like. Roland makes some good ones.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Sell amp and pedal. Get $400 total and find a Laney AOR used. Problem solved.

Agreed. My Laney AOR is 50 watts tube and it is much louder than any drummer I've ever played with.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Page 1 of 3