Ok, so I have a Fender Stagemaster. It has 2 humbuckers, at neck and bridge respectively, and a single coil in the middle. It also has a 5-way pickup selector. Now, I'm thinkin bout put two SD Blackouts in there to replace the humbuckers.

My question is...will the single coil sound ok with those active pickups, since the single coil wouldn't be an active pickup? In other words, if I choose position 2 on the pickup selector (bridge and single coil playing together) or position 4 (single coil and neck playing together), will it still sound ok?
You'd have to get an active single for the middle. Or just leave it out of the wiring completely.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
wow TS you have been talking about this Fender Stagemaster all night... and I don't think I would waste money putting blackouts in a Fender....
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
This is from EMG's web site but it should be the same for any active pickups.
It is possible to mix active with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the active pickups.
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the actives, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the actives.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 booster on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the actives.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance active controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 booster on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the actives.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance active controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.

Ok, so I jus need to buy this PA-2 booster ofr the passive single coil. Ya know how much that costs?

Edit: Nvm. I'll look it up.
Last edited by rockhardmetal at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
wow TS you have been talking about this Fender Stagemaster all night... and I don't think I would waste money putting blackouts in a Fender....

Hey, I really love it, man. It's my favorite guitar outta the 4 I own. But tell me, why wouldn't you waste money on a Fender for Blackouts?

It is jus cuz you'd go buy another guitar? (i don't wanna buy nother guitar. The fretboard is amazin. I like how it has a Floyd Rose. And all the other features are nice, etc.) Or is there some sorta big potential problem that is gonna come up? Like maybe an electroncis problem I don't forsee?