Is there going to be a big impact on my guitar playing skills? The only reason I don't want to start on acoustic is the fact that I don't think I'll really enjoy playing it.

Some guy on another forum said this
"The ones who started with electric, crashed and burned usually. "
Is that true?
an acoustic will build strength better but i started on an electric three years ago and im play just fine...
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Acoustic makes all the difference in the world, IMO. It's harder to play, and you just don't have the same ease and sexiness of an electric. Which is great, you actually get to focus on honing YOUR technique, instead of relying on the aspects of the electric itself.

I have played (obsessively) for 10 months, and often my bouts of genius come to me on acoustic and are more often than not well-transposed on electric. I also find that the heavier string gauge and higher action builds up my finger strength, speed, dexterity, and bending skills. If you can do it on an acoustic, then you can most certainly do it well on an electric.

Start acoustic. Upgrade after 3-6 months. That would be my bottom line advice.
thats all crap
just do what you wanna do and have fun with it
i started on electric and im easily the best at my high school
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
i started on electric 7 years ago and i don't find any problem with it.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
If you start with electric it doesn't mean you'll fail. What that guy meant was that most who fail probably played guitar hero said to themselves "hey this is pretty easy i'll pick up an electric and play for real" then realize they can't and stop. If you have the dedication and desire to play then it's not a problem. I started with an electric and recently got a new electric and I've been progressing just fine. If anything I think an electric is much more versatile with what you can get out of it over an acoustic.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
thats all crap
just do what you wanna do and have fun with it
i started on electric and im easily the best at my high school

you seem to have quite the ego
and now that i think of it, you have people who have started on electric, and people who have started on acoustic, so really everyone is just speaking from personal experience.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
you seem to have quite the ego
and now that i think of it, you have people who have started on electric, and people who have started on acoustic, so really everyone is just speaking from personal experience.

i meant this:
Is that true?

i know that acoustics have many benefits to them, and my fav guitar to play is my grandpas 12 string
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by nightmareghost
Is there going to be a big impact on my guitar playing skills? The only reason I don't want to start on acoustic is the fact that I don't think I'll really enjoy playing it.

Is that true?

You "don't think" you'll enjoy playing it? I play both. When I went into GC last month I asked the salesman if I should start on acoustic or electric. His response was, "well, do you want to sit on your front porch and jam or do you want to really rock out?" It made sense to me that I wanted to do both and I am SO GLAD I did. I enjoy acoustic and electric for all different reasons. I feel like I have built my calluses up better and built the proper technique for things such as barre chords on the acoustic which then translate to easier playing on the electric.
I technically started playing on an electric but I had played a little bit before with an acoustic. Now I have both an acoustic and electric in my room. I play them both for different reasons and music style. The acoustic will build your finger strength much more than an electric.
It's no big deal to start on electric. Sure you get better hand strength etc., but the most pressing problem with learning guitar is sticking with it. So you want to pick the guitar that plays most of the styles you are interested in.
I started on a classical guitar, and now I play metal.

It definitely helped my left hand strength. But if you start on the electric, you're in no way handicapped.

Interesting note is that you play classical guitars on the left thigh when sitting and electrics (strat-shaped, at least) on the right. I tried the right and didn't like it so I just stick to keeping it on my left leg, it's much more comfortable for me when playing up the neck.
I initially wanted to start on electric, but couldn't stand the sound of the crappy guitar through crappy amp combo I had going (or maybe I just sucked...probably :P). Then one day I tried out some things on my dad's acoustic and it sounded awesome. I played the acoustic for a while, then went back to the electric; it still sounded crappy. Some new gear later and yay, I play both.

That said, I encourage beginners to learn acoustic guitar as well as electric when starting out. At the very least an acoustic is more portable (ie. doesn't need an amp), and those who play ONLY electric can't really transfer their skills to the acoustic, for example fretting and picking too lightly, creating a full "round" sound with a lone guitar etc.
i don't think it really matters - i started on acoustic cos my electric was terrible and the acoustic in my opinion sounded much better but it really depends on what you want to do.
I started on electric and made the transition to acoustic, didn't have too much of a problem. As long as you know the cords, scales and stuff you should be able to play them on any guitar. Acoustics are really different as far as the neck goes. I had trouble with accidentally muting strings and such when I first played acoustic, and the strings are a little tougher on your fingers.
Quote by nightmareghost

Is that true?

It makes no difference whatsoever , whoever said that is a moron.

If you like listening to electric music and want to play electric music then start on electric, if you like listening to acoustic music and want to play it then start on an acoustic. If you like everything then arguably electric is still better to start on - acoustic songs sound fine on a clean electric, but trying to play distorted electric stuff on an acoustic is one of the most soul-destroying experiences known to man.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by super beast
If you start with electric it doesn't mean you'll fail. What that guy meant was that most who fail probably played guitar hero said to themselves "hey this is pretty easy i'll pick up an electric and play for real" then realize they can't and stop. If you have the dedication and desire to play then it's not a problem. I started with an electric and recently got a new electric and I've been progressing just fine. If anything I think an electric is much more versatile with what you can get out of it over an acoustic.

I agree with what this guy said. I started out on electric after getting good at Guitar Hero. So far I've stuck with it (been 5 months now). I do have a strong desire to keep with the instrument, and I think you really do need that especially coming from the game.

I have played a few acoustics (don't have one myself), I can see why starting with acoustic would be better choice. You can play anywhere (no worry about amp/cables), fingerpicking is a bit easier (a bit more spacing between the strings), also builds up more hand strength (more stretching required, higher action on the frets, higher gauge strings) and it's fairly harder to do barre chords. I think if you get a good foundation on acoustic, that you can progress to electric without too much fuss (if you want to go to electric later on that is).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Guitar Hero DOES have some use afterall...
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I think that it might vary with the person who plays it.
Just do whatever you feel is right.
My brother (Jordan, but dunno his name on here), started out on electric
and he's doing just fine.

Quote by Cheesepuff
A guy made a ham and cheese sandwich. Good one too, he gave me a bite.

“I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”

Muhammad Suicmez of Necrophagist started out at age 17 on electric. . . . . look at him now. . . a shredding ass mofo. . . I'm another electric starter too. . . . I never enjoyed grandspa's guitars.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by nightmareghost
Is there going to be a big impact on my guitar playing skills?
Not really. If you don't play acoustic, it is a missed opportunity.
But nothing that you can't get past.

Quote by nightmareghost
The only reason I don't want to start on acoustic is the fact that I don't think I'll really enjoy playing it.
if that's all you're worried about, don't.
you will enjoy acoustic, whether you start there, or play one later.
there's a unique magic that occurs that you can't capture with an electric.

Quote by nightmareghost
Is that true?
He's PARTLY right. Tons of wannabe's start with electric.
It's not the fact they started with electric, but the fact they're only wannabe's that causes them to crash and burn.

If you're SERIOUS about playing guitar, you'll do fine either way. It takes some work. invest the time and effort, and all will be well. I strongly suggest starting on acoustic, but it's not mandatory.

Quote by turtlewax
Guitar Hero DOES have some use afterall...
don't say that, even joking.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by nightmareghost

Is that true?

It really doesn't make any difference.

Just stay away from distortion for the first few months.

Serously, don't even touch it. It'll cover all your mistakes (to inexperienced ears, such as yours), and it'll get you stuck with a crap technique. Once you have some experince playing clean, crank it up and rock on.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
I started on an acoustic and moved to eletric but im not that good but it is fun playing eletric
HOLY SHIT

you've played for five months and you already have three guitars?... -.-
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by xKnifekillerx
nahh is bullsh!t

monkey started with an electric. and look at him now, fking sick as fk.

?

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by DaddyBarbs
HOLY SHIT

you've played for five months and you already have three guitars?... -.-

Are you referring to me? The PRS is in fact not mine, but even if it was, I don't see what the deal is. I'm 20 years old and earn an honest living and can buy what I wish to.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I started on Electric, I don't even own an acoustic (not yet ayway)
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk