im starting to get into fas guitaring learning techniques such as: alternate picking, tremolo picking, sweep picking, legato's and arpeggios. at the moment i use a jim dunlop .60mm pick which is very flexible. i just want to know is this the right pick for fast licks? if not what is? and why???
I'd use a heavier pick - at least .73. I personally use Jazz IIIs, and as you may know, they come highly recommended. But try a few heavier picks out, and stick with one you like.
I use a 2.0mm pick. I started out on .43mm and hated anything larger than that. Now that I've tried these stubby picks, I love them. So much more control.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by Orbit91
I recommend you use the Jazz III, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

they are like 1mm thick isnt that TOO thick?

maybe its my strings aswell should i use heavier strings(at the moment i use ernie ball super slinky 8's)
Quote by merr08
they are like 1mm thick isnt that TOO thick?

Naw, dude - my bro uses picks twice as thick.
vai uses 1mm, i use .73's and i play fairly fast...
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Quote by Flying Couch
Naw, dude - my bro uses picks twice as thick.

yes but if the pick is that thick wouldnt it be hitting the string to heavy
I use .73-1.14's. For fast picking, go heavier. There's much more precision.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I use 2 mm, the thicker it is the better... i used to play with little .60 mm and hated thick picks, but once i started doing sweep picking using a thicker pick was SO MUCH BETTER... not to mention you have a lot more control over what you do, you just gotta be strong and push it harder.... its really rewarding once you get used to using thicker picks and you'll probably never go back to thin ones

fast palm muting patters on the top string is still a little difficult... but i'll get it! haha
just a suggestion, but look into v-picks, i ordered a screamer, and i'm never looking back. they're pretty thick picks as a rule (the screamer's 2.75mm's thick), but they're amazing. (also if you like a thinner pick they have .5mm picks)
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
Quote by Orbit91

i think im goin for some 1mm jazz picks i found an assortment of 6 on eBay so ill buy them tomorrow
then if i like them ill try out some event thicker plecks

ive just read that the more sharper the tip is of the pick the better it is? is this true?
Quote by merr08

ive just read that the more sharper the tip is of the pick the better it is? is this true?

Yes, at least for me. It's much easier to pick with the string more perpendicular to the string with a sharp pick.
Quote by merr08
so is it anything to do with the strings how fast you play?

The thicker the strings, it'll be easier to pick and harder to fret.
Quote by sam b
There isnt a right or wrong pick to use..

Use whatever you feel comfortable with

This, but i noticed thick picks make chords a bit harder to play.

I use .60 tortex picks, but some people use 2mm gator grips. It just depends on what you feel the most comfortable with.
Quote by Tommy Walker
The thicker the strings, it'll be easier to pick and harder to fret.

i was thinking about moving from 8's to 9's or maybe even 10's but still keeping them slinky ernie balls
Tortex Dunlop 1.14 mm. . . . the purple ones. . . . those are the best I've found for speed and control, but of course every pick has to be broken in and get an angle to the edge before I try doing any mach speed licks.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I use Jazz III for fast single note stuff, it's easier to be more precise and do things like string skipping. They give me a more defined attack than my other favorite pick, the Tortex greens, which feel slippery against the strings , although I prefer the greens for their size when doing chords. If my local store had the Jazz XL's I'd give them a try.
Quote by merr08
im starting to get into fas guitaring learning techniques such as: alternate picking, tremolo picking, sweep picking, legato's and arpeggios. at the moment i use a jim dunlop .60mm pick which is very flexible. i just want to know is this the right pick for fast licks? if not what is? and why???

Paul Gilbert uses Jim Dunlop .60mm Tortex picks to shred, so whats wrong with using it for fast licks?
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Whichever feels most comfortable and gives you the feel and tone you want. I found my perfect pick, well 2 of them after trying out so many. Love these things to death. They're D'Andrea Pro Plec picks.

Regular 351 shape

..and small pointed tear drop shape, like a Fender 358 Jazz pick
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I've found that I have the most control over a pick that has no flex at all under normal playing. I also find that I get better tone, especially on acoustic guitar (no clickety-clackety) I use the Dunlop Gells Heavy picks (ie. the red ones) and also recently Ultex picks, of which I have both 1.0 mm and 1.14. 1.0 has no give, so any thickness beyond that I think is just overkill, although if you happen to like the feel of it, more power to you. Ultex is nice because a thinner pick made from it is just as stiff, unfortunately they only come in one color-- transparent off-clear. If you drop one, you ain't never finding it.
Quote by Blaster Bob
I've found that I have the most control over a pick that has no flex at all under normal playing. I also find that I get better tone, especially on acoustic guitar (no clickety-clackety) I use the Dunlop Gells Heavy picks (ie. the red ones) and also recently Ultex picks, of which I have both 1.0 mm and 1.14. 1.0 has no give, so any thickness beyond that I think is just overkill, although if you happen to like the feel of it, more power to you. Ultex is nice because a thinner pick made from it is just as stiff, unfortunately they only come in one color-- transparent off-clear. If you drop one, you ain't never finding it.

Ha, I know how that feels. I've lost the same pick dozens of times but always end up finding it again. Its small and I always forget where I placed it, even 2 minutes later then I always seem to find it. Been playing with the same pick all summer long. Picks have a way of redirecting when they hit the ground and end up somewhere completely different then you think

EDIT:

Speaking of which, f*ck there it goes again
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Oct 27, 2008,
For fast stuff u definetly need thick pick (shape is preference). A thin pick will be flappy and not responsive.

If u pick a note with a thin pick it wil swing out because of the force, which makes playing sound sloppier then it really is.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Blaster Bob

i dunno, i find the 1mm + thicknesses to be just opaque enough to show up on the ground enough for you to spot them quite easily.

great picks though, no question. the 1mm is my favourite
i have a question. whats better to use with quick picking, nylon or plastic?
Quote by Flying_V
i have a question. whats better to use with quick picking, nylon or plastic?

Don't use nylon, it will get on fire.
Quote by Orbit91

ahaha of course

jazz III are some good ones..
cheers!!!
Personally I use Ultex Jazz III picks. Best feeling pick I've ever used... too bad it makes every other pick feel like a damn frying pan now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
As IneedMoney stated, try some Ibanez PG signatures. But more importantly, dunlop. .73, I think. Gilbert himself uses them. Oh, and.

"I use .73-1.14's. For fast picking, go heavier. There's much more precision."

Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. or rice. or alternate small partical.
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts