Ok, so I have an Ibanez RG with a floating trem, and I really want to be able to drop d.
I obviously can't just downtune every time I want to, so I need a way to be able to drop.
The problem is, I'm almost positive that the D-Tuna doesn't work for floating bridges, and you need to drill into your guitar and install something to stabilize your bridge so you can't pull it upwards.
The thing is, there's no way I'm drilling into my guitar, it seems way to invasive, what do I do?
i have a jackson king v with a floating tremolo, and i have never had any problems with tuning to drop D

never modded it at all

im pretty sure as long a you aren't going to do drop D standard or drop C you are safe
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
You undo the locking tuner and tune it.

It's not hard, you just have to retune the bottom two strings, seriously.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

Doesn't it fuck up the spring tension or something?I'm pretty sure you can't just change the tuning without adjusting spring tension?
The D-tuna will go in with no modding, but you won't be able to pull up on the trem. And, the d-tuna obviously works on floating bridges because that's what it's made for.

Otherwise you could put a tremsetter or an ibanez zero-point system thingy in there.
Quote by tona_107
Doesn't it fuck up the spring tension or something?I'm pretty sure you can't just change the tuning without adjusting spring tension?

As long as you're not dropping all the strings, you're fine.

I do it with my guitar all the time. I have a Floyd Rose on mine and I go between Drop C and D standard about once a week or so, it doesnt hurt your guitar in less you're doing massive jumps. Like from C to E.

But yeah, if you're going from E standard to D standard, adjust the springs. If you're not, dont touch them.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

I do it with my guitar all the time. I have a Floyd Rose on mine and I go between Drop C and D standard about once a week or so, it doesnt hurt your guitar in less you're doing massive jumps. Like from C to E.

But yeah, if you're going from E standard to D standard, adjust the springs. If you're not, dont touch them.

this
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
Quote by valennic

Hmm, alright.
But I can install a D-Tuna? Like it just wont *let* me pull up on my bridge, like if I do it won't break or anything, it just won't pull up?
Quote by tona_107
Hmm, alright.
But I can install a D-Tuna? Like it just wont *let* me pull up on my bridge, like if I do it won't break or anything, it just won't pull up?

It might break if you lift it up by the bar or something, but you're not herman li. As long as you don't pull up a lot (which i can't imagine a lot of people do), you should be fine with a d tuna.
Quote by HighPotency
It might break if you lift it up by the bar or something, but you're not herman li. As long as you don't pull up a lot (which i can't imagine a lot of people do), you should be fine with a d tuna.

yeah i rarely pull up, prety much only on the intro to plug in baby haha.
but i can't pull up at all right? even when it's in standard?
if i wanted to do that what would i have to do?
Quote by tona_107
yeah i rarely pull up, prety much only on the intro to plug in baby haha.
but i can't pull up at all right? even when it's in standard?
if i wanted to do that what would i have to do?

Epic bend!
Quote by HighPotency
Epic bend!

"BUT WHAT IF ITS ON THE OPEN STRING" you say?
Then you are screwed i reply.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']"BUT WHAT IF ITS ON THE OPEN STRING" you say?
Then you are screwed i reply.
Pull a Tommi Iommi (or whatever the hell his name is) and bend behind the nut.
Quote by HighPotency

On a locking trem that will not do a thing.
Quote by HighPotency
Damn forgot about that

Digitech whammy?

Bending an open string on a double locking trem guitar with installed D-tuna - $200

The fact the ts might do it - Priceless
Quote by valennic

Not this - adjusting the tuning of any string on a floating bridge will send all the other strings out of tune, regardless of whether the nut is locked. As soon as you start mucking around with the tension of the strings then the bridge is going to shift and send everything out of tune. It's impossible for that not to happen on an unmodified Floyd-type bridge...if you think it doesn't then you simply can't tell when you're out of tune.

As far as the D-Tuna goes, that only works on OFR-type bridges where the string bolts stick out through the back of the whale tail, it won't fit on a low profile variant. The trem also has to be non-recessed - why I hear you ask? Because dropping the low E to D will send all the other strings out of tune, as you lower the string tension spring tension lowers accordingly and the bridge sinks. If your floyd is non-recessed then there's nowhere for it to sink to, so everything stays in tune. Installing a D-Tuna alone won't stop you pulling up, your front trem cavity needs to be blocked for it to work.

I do wish people wouldn't post about stuff they have no clue about...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 27, 2008,
^Well, an addendum to that would be that you can have a non-recessed FR that floats too. So it should be a non-recessed FR with the baseplate resting on the face of the body.
Quote by valennic

It has never been that easy for me. When you drop the low E to a D all the other strings go up quite a bit.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by steven seagull
Not this - adjusting the tuning of any string on a floating bridge will send all the other strings out of tune, regardless of whether the nut is locked. As soon as you start mucking around with the tension of the strings then the bridge is going to shift and send everything out of tune. It's impossible for that not to happen on an unmodified Floyd-type bridge...if you think it doesn't then you simply can't tell when you're out of tune.

As far as the D-Tuna goes, that only works on OFR-type bridges where the string bolts stick out through the back of the whale tail, it won't fit on a low profile variant. The trem also has to be non-recessed - why I hear you ask? Because dropping the low E to D will send all the other strings out of tune, as you lower the string tension spring tension lowers accordingly and the bridge sinks. If your floyd is non-recessed then there's nowhere for it to sink to, so everything stays in tune. Installing a D-Tuna alone won't stop you pulling up, your front trem cavity needs to be blocked for it to work.

ah thanks.
so i have an edge 1 tremolo do you know if i can install one?
and how could i block my trem cavity if i wanted to?
If it's an Original Edge then it *should* fit but don't quote me on that. To block the trem cavity you just fill it in with a block of wood.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by HighPotency

Jimmy Page
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Jimmy Page

OR Iommi too... And Doyle Dykes and a whole host of country/western players.
i used to have the fine tuner set so that i could switch between E and D alrightly, tho it probably wasnt the best way to do things :P
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by steven seagull
If it's an Original Edge then it *should* fit but don't quote me on that. To block the trem cavity you just fill it in with a block of wood.

yeah it's just the original edge... i should just get my tech to put it in shouldn't i.
ah but then if i want to use my trem ever i wouldnt be able to i'd have to uninstall it?
is there anything i can do if i want to be able to do both.
Dude, I haven't read the whole of the thread, but what I do is I make the fine tuner nearly fully tightened when I tune to standard and I can easily go from Standard to Drop D just with the fine tuners.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
This is why you should invest in a cheaper guitar for down tunings. You're better off dishing out 200-300 for a non-trem guitar just for different tunings.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
you can do it with the tuning screws, just have your E string screw almost touching the bottom, so that you can unscrew it enough to drop the string down a whole step
Quote by valennic

What he said just take out the locking nuts and tune normally. I havent used the locking nuts on my floyd rose in years, but I also have the bridge blocked as well.
Last edited by chris6666 at Oct 28, 2008,
Quote by chris6666
What he said just take out the locking nuts and tune normally. I havent used the locking nuts on my floyd rose in years, but I also have the bridge blocked as well.

It's still going to throw all the other strings out - you won't have that problem obviously because you blocked the trem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
It's still going to throw all the other strings out - you won't have that problem obviously because you blocked the trem.

Will the fine tuner idea work? is there anything i can do to do both?
so is there anything i can do to be able to use the trem and drop d?
Last edited by tona_107 at Oct 30, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

This. Is. So. True.