Ok, so I've been playing guitar for almost two years now, and I've never had a problem with any sort of pain (whether it be in my shoulder, wrist, etc.)
Recently I started working on my picking technique, because I noticed that I was anchoring with my wrist.
Anyways, since I've been picking normally my shoulder has started to hurt ALOT lately, and it's almost numb right now, not good.
And so I figured its cause it must be because I'm tensing up my shoulder, so I've been trying to relax my shoulder, but when I do, my hand isn't over the strings, if I relax my arm like that my pick ends up over the higher frets of the fretboard.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do but I don't want to fuck my shoulder up.
So is it my posture/form, what's going on here.
I think you guys are lost, the Pit's up there^^.

Anyways, I wack it with my left hand (I switched over from my right hand when I heard it improves your dexterity), and it's my right shoulder that hurts. So you guys lose.
Fap less.

Nah, it could be that you're raising it a little too high; do you place the guitar on your right leg? If so, may I recommend the classical position?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Fap less.

Nah, it could be that you're raising it a little too high; do you place the guitar on your right leg? If so, may I recommend the classical position?

yeah on the right leg. and i dont really wanna do the classical position i find it uncomfortable and it's unrealistic because i would never be able to play withthat kind of attack standing up.
ya dig?
WEEELLLL... You're gonna be standing up most of the time when performing, and the classical position gives the guitar the same position when standing up... And you're not going to sit all the time with your guitar, no? Then I suggest you put your foot under your phone book or bible or something large and practice.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by tona_107
And so I figured its cause it must be because I'm tensing up my shoulder, so I've been trying to relax my shoulder, but when I do, my hand isn't over the strings, if I relax my arm like that my pick ends up over the higher frets of the fretboard.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do but I don't want to fuck my shoulder up.

I'd take a look at the posture vid here immediately - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg

If relaxing your arm means that your pick is not over the fretboard then you need to move the guitar, not keep your shoulder tense!
Ok, so I've been playing guitar for almost two years now, and I've never had a problem with any sort of pain (whether it be in my shoulder, wrist, etc.)
Recently I started working on my picking technique, because I noticed that I was anchoring with my wrist.
Anyways, since I've been picking normally my shoulder has started to hurt ALOT lately, and it's almost numb right now, not good.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do but I don't want to **** my shoulder up.

have you though of a different size guitar , also lots of back support when you are sitting , a good massage will help your warm up muscles up before playing , also remember to "play" then "rest" what i mean is dont hold an uncomfortable postition as an act of endurance use only the physical assertion needed and then return to a relaxed posture .
i hope this helps you a little
Now, I seriously love my guitar, it's great. But WHY OH WHY must they put the jack exactly in the wrong place for putting the guitar on my left leg. It's seriously annoying. Makes it impossible, since the plug comes out at my right leg.

I try and play standing up, mostly, due to this.

Grep.