i've read about this before and thought it was really funny and interesting, but have never heard it done before. is there some way I can set up an electric guitar and amp to do this purposely?
Well some pedals seem to have an effect on it, as well as the amp and your location. I heard if you don't trim the excess string when you change strings, you can have a higher chance of picking up radio frequencies. Maybe try putting aluminum foil on your headstock?

=P
wait an aluminum foil hat as well.....

I actually dont know, but good question, that would be really cool to be able to do it when you want
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Wireless receiver to your amp.

Worked for Nigel.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
High gain pedal with a guitar that can't handle it does it

Like a hollowbody or a single coil strat

I was the king of doing this when I played a SS state amp.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I remember the story about Jimmy Page's doubleneck being called 'the antenna' because it did that.

Maybe try that?
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I remember the story about Jimmy Page's doubleneck being called 'the antenna' because it did that.

Maybe try that?

Sounds like you should try getting a big long piece of aluminum foil and securing it to your headstock.
woah this just happened to me. I was playing my SG in my upstairs family room and i was too lazy to cut the strings and im hearing sum easy listening thru my amp. I was about to post this question and then i searched and found this
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
I hate when you're in the middle of a break and the amp/guitar catches some random German radio station!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
it happen all the time for when i play gigs outdoors or when i use my friends' Bogner Uberschall.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab