Page 1 of 2
I'm building this guitar for a forum member over at harmony central. The body is going to have binding on the back and front with no arm or belly contours. The neck is going to be 21 fret with jumbo stainless steel frets and a maple fingerboard. Both the body and neck are going to be made out of mahogany. This will probably be one of my last build threads or I might do more just with a few pics. I have made a myspace for my guitars an will be posting all the pics there and sending out builltens whenever anything is updated or any new builds start to any of my friends for any future builds. If your interested add me as a friend there's a link in my sig.

neck:

body:

Quote by Øttər
That looks great!

Why no more threads on UG? Lame.

I'm just kinda getting sick of them but I'll probably still do them just to a lesser extant with a few pictures instead of like 200 lol.
Your getting sick of us?

Your sick of our love and appreciation, and our compliments?

Go away.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Your getting sick of us?

Your sick of our love and appreciation, and our compliments?

Go away.

nah, I'm still doing threads just not with as many pictures and stuff \
may i ask why the neck has holes in it, or is that just the template? Anyway I like the look of this. Just standard inlays with a plain colour?
Quote by guitarcam123
may i ask why the neck has holes in it, or is that just the template? Anyway I like the look of this. Just standard inlays with a plain colour?

That's just so I can line it up right with the truss rod slot. The fingerboard will be maple with no inlays.
No inlay maple fretboard, now that is something i wanna see! That will look absolutely beautiful!!
When you say ''guitar build (just the neck and body)'' you mean a whole guitar then?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
XD yeah, i'm gonna make a hamburger, but with only the meat and buns.

heh heh heh..

tripped me out looking at that template with the hols in it though.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Absent Mind
When you say ''guitar build (just the neck and body)'' you mean a whole guitar then?

All I'm doing is the body and the neck and then I'm sending it off to the customer with any luck he'll send me a pic or 2 when it's finished that I could post. Yeah I barely ever see maple with no dots it would'nt be my choice I would want some black dots or something but it'll be different.
I've got the sides sanded and routed a slot for the binding on my router table and I roughed out the cavities with a forstner bit. Body should be done tomorrow...
Also I got the warmoth fretwire today (only place that sells jumbo stainless and ships soon) they give you 4 30" pieces for one guitar and they are already bent. With stemac you have to get 3 of their 2 foot pieces that you still have to bend. I'll be buying fretwire from warmoth from now on you can get 2 guitars out of a one guitar pack. I think lp addict already mentioned this.

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Oct 27, 2008,
After holding the binding up on the body it makes me want to have a strat bound like it now lol too bad I like the comfort contours too much.
You can bind contours.

There is a tutorial somewhere, maybe on StewMac.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Yeah I might try minding the contours sometime. I'm not sure I'm ever going to want to bind a strat again though lol.

I had a problem with the body and had to start over. I am still getting it done Thursday maybe Wednesday. I got the body bound yesterday and the fingerboard glued on today. I can scrape and sand the binding flush to the body tomorrow and might have time to get started fretting.

Did the customer say if he was going to paint or stain the guitar? I imagine it would be a pain either way with the binding already on it, but then again I don't know much about binding guitars. Looks great so far though, I've always wondered about a maple fretboard with no inlays, should be nice.
Quote by chip46
Did the customer say if he was going to paint or stain the guitar? I imagine it would be a pain either way with the binding already on it, but then again I don't know much about binding guitars. Looks great so far though.

It would be impossible to put the binding after finishing or at least without refinishing. He is going to put a nitro clear coat on it so he'll just treat it like it was all wood.
^ It's going to be extra sexy.

Also, you can stain after binding is put on, you just have to mask it.

The same way you do "natural" binding, except there's already plastic binding!

This build is looking sweet dude!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo

sexy. what did you use to rout the binding channel? 1/2" bit with a 3/8" bearing?

and in reference to an older post, yes, you get about 2 guitars out of the warmoth fretwire as opposed to spending more for 1 guitar at stewmac, as LP said
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Nov 7, 2008,
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

sexy. what did you use to rout the binding channel? 1/2" bit with a 3/8" bearing?

and in reference to an older post, yes, you get about 2 guitars out of the warmoth fretwire as opposed to spending more for 1 guitar at stewmac, as LP said

I use a 3/4" bit in my router table and made a block of mahogany that had a roundover that fit all the corners of the strat on the end and drilled a hole in the bottom to clear the bit and screwed it onto my table. I'll take pics sometime so you can understand better. The binding is a different size so couldn't really use a bit and a bearing that wasnt specifically made without having alot of binding hanging out. I'd rather spend 20 minutes making a jig then spending $40 on a bit and the jig works just as good. I did the whole guitar and only used 1 and a half pieces of fretwire when they gave me 4 so I have enough for my next guitar. Stainless steel is a bitch to get the ends smooth on, the rest isn't too much harder that other fretwire, might need new end snips though.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Nov 7, 2008,
is there any angle on that headstock? doesn't lokk like there'd be a lot of string height behind the nut...

still looks sassy though!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
is there any angle on that headstock? doesn't lokk like there'd be a lot of string height behind the nut...

still looks sassy though!

It's a strat so there's no angle the headstocks about 1/2" lower than the the fingerboard so that pulls the string down and there will be a string tree on the 1st and 2nd string.
Quote by LP Addict
looks clean man, what did you charge?

$430 plus shipping
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Nov 11, 2008,
If anyone wants this let me know it looks like I might be selling it, I haven't heard from the buyer in 4 days and I sent him messages asking him how he was going to pay after exchanging addresses and he hasn't talked to me in 4 days and he's been posting on the forum hopefully he's just busy.
Quote by 420 FREAK
$430 plus shipping

I make my own brah!

Although, that really is killer work man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
I make my own brah!

Although, that really is killer work man.

sorry I meant to quote the post below you
Quote by 420 FREAK
If anyone wants this let me know it looks like I might be selling it, I haven't heard from the buyer in 4 days and I sent him messages asking him how he was going to pay after exchanging addresses and he hasn't talked to me in 4 days and he's been posting on the forum hopefully he's just busy.

I hope his deposit covered the cost of materials

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I hope his deposit covered the cost of materials

Yeah thats what I would always do.

Deposit = materials.

Labour cost upon completion/delivery whatever.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Page 1 of 2