humbucker from hell/evo
4 15%
breed/super distortion
8 30%
other (Please List)
10 37%
Voters: 27.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I need some advice on what pickups to get, im replacing my bridge and neck pickups and I want some that can comlement eachother to give me a vast amount of styles that I can play. I want a bridge pickup that is hot with great harmonics and can rip through metal and rock solos, and a neck pup that can clean things out and play more acoustic sounding alternative and whatnot...
I was originally thinking a Dimarzio breed/humbucker from hell in the neck, and a dimarzio evolution in the bridge. I have heard very mixed reviews on the evos, i heard they are hot and cut through very nice, they work for vai very nicely, but are unforgiving, and no dynamics, thought?
I was also thinking of super distortion pups
and this is for my LP....
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude
wrathlegion, i would like to shake hands

Quote by AllUrBase
I assume you're playing just open strings, so not to scratch your frets.
Quote by jhawk182
get EMG pickups...they are great for metal.

I have a breed in the neck of my M-1000, it sounds nice but could use a little more output I may change it for a Norton. As for the evos I have heard much the same, I'd recommend trying a super 3 in the bridge to get a good middle ground pickup between the evo and SD.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Last edited by CHIEF-CHEESE at Oct 27, 2008,
I dont like the jazz in the neck, if you want though in the neck a humbucker from hell or a breed.
I don't particularly prefer the jazz either but the JB is pretty solid.
Quote by futurejimmypage
HOLEY MOLEY MACCARONI!!!! you are like 7 hours into the future. Whats it like? is the war over? is bush dead? Are the new episodes of family guy out yet? is global warming over? Did they unfreeze walt Disney???

PRS dragon pickups aren't bad, check them out. . . . They are some of my favorite passive pickups. Nice mid-tone and high end, they aren't very deep on the low end scale though, but they are great for like shred and stuff.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
The evolutions are a personal taste kind of thing. I'd go to Guitar Center and try out the Ibanez JEM 7V, which I know has Evos. Keep in mind you'll be running it on a really nice guitar, so you may not be able to conclude anything about tone, but you should easily be able to tell how forgiving they are.
The Vai pickups sound too vaish. Even if u cut mid's or add bass u always have this vai mid sound. It's a good sound, but you wil sound like the other Vai clones w/e u play.

You should go for a more "natural" humbucker. like a super distortion or so.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
try out this combo

Bridge pickup -Dimarzio Norton
Neck Pickup - Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
thanks guys, now what do you think about the evo 2 in the bridge, still close to the same sound and output, but more dynamic?
Gibson Les Paul Special Faded with Evo bridge and PAF Joe neck. Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
The Evo is a shred pickup, not a metal pickup. Even then, it's pretty trebley, I'm not a fan.

The Super Distortion is an 80's metal pickup. It sounds like you play modern metal, so I'd go against it.

I'd say your best bet is a pair of Dimarzio Breeds. Versatile combo, clean up well, and are fat and aggressive enough for modern metal and hard rock.
Go with the guys above, Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, but with a '59 in the neck. It's less dark, alot brighter. Plus, half of the metal dudes use this pickup combination; Arch Enemy, Queensryche, Static X, etc...

Plays metal, classic, blues, grunge, etc...
well, would guitar center do everything necessary for my guitar to use emgs?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by jhawk182

And shit for everything else.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Well, I dont live in a big city, so the only guitar store around me is guitar center.
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Should I be the first to say PAF Pro Tone Zone?
BUY MY JACKSON
Quote by imgooley
I don't know what that shit (racer x or paul gilbert) sounds like.

Quote by DSchmitty
Gilbert is a bad riff writer.

Quote by JeffWiredBeck24

Treble - 0
Bass - 0
Mids - 0
Volume - 0
'Tude - 10
Whiny Voice - 10
Panties - White

Quote by Shabadoo
I brake for huge nuts
Quote by Wrathlegion
Well, I dont live in a big city, so the only guitar store around me is guitar center.

Pickup installation isn't too hard if you're comfortable with a soldering iron. If you have a friend who is, have him do it, he necessarily have to be a guitar player.

Also, check out google maps and just type your city and "guitar shop," you may find something.
Well, I have been thinking about it, and right now, most of the stuff I play is modern and classic rock, with some contemporary christian music thrown in. I play a little metal, but would you guys say the the standard 498t and 490r pickups are pretty good. I like the sound of my guitar on all the stuff I play besides metal and more aggresive solos. Is there anyway to make these pickups sound hotter, or more aggresive?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Quote by jhawk182

FAIL.

also maybe put some new pots in it?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Get A Guitar that's Routed to be able to take 3 Humbuckers, and Run;
Neck : EMG-85 Active
Middle: EMG-60 Active
Bridge: EMG-81 Active
and make sure you're ALSO running either an EMG-Afterburner Gain Booster, or an EMG PA-2 20db Gain Booster (witch COMES WITH the Kerry King 81/85 set)
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Thats not really an option
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Ok, well I decided that I kinda like the tone and sound of my 498t and 490r pickups, they are nice pickups, the only problem I have with them is that they arent aggressive enough for some of the solos that I play, and the pinch harmonics kinda suck on them, also, aftermarket pickups without covers on LPs look kinda weird. What would be the best way to fix this problem by giving them an edgier and more aggressive sound? Pocket pod, podxt, what? Also, what are the key differences between the pocket pod and the podxt, like will the tone be different between the two?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
^go away.

Quote by Wrathlegion
Ok, well I decided that I kinda like the tone and sound of my 498t and 490r pickups, they are nice pickups, the only problem I have with them is that they arent aggressive enough for some of the solos that I play, and the pinch harmonics kinda suck on them, also, aftermarket pickups without covers on LPs look kinda weird. What would be the best way to fix this problem by giving them an edgier and more aggressive sound? Pocket pod, podxt, what? Also, what are the key differences between the pocket pod and the podxt, like will the tone be different between the two?

Pinch harmonics are way more dependent on technique than pickup model.

What's your amp's EQ? Those are both ceramic picups, IIRC - should be plenty aggressive.
Emg 81tw/89
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I have an EMG81 in the bridge, it is great for leads and metal, but clean it is very thin sounding. It sounds a bit better on 18v with the volume knob turned about 80% up but its not very versitile. I have no pickup in the neck right now, but like you I want to be able to get a large range of sounds from my 1 guitar. I was thinking about getting the EMG active single coils for the neck and middle position, I hear that David Gilmore uses EMG active singles in his red strat..anyone have these and can give some feedback? I think they are model SA but might only come in set of 3 pickups. I think this would be a good setup for versitile sound.
The Tone Zone/Air Norton combo is a great one. They're relatively less output than most of the suggestions here, but they sound smooth as hell, even under some serious brutality in the gain department. The Air Norton is just ballsy enough of a neck pickup to give that really nice open sound and not be really muddy in the lower registers, and the Tone Zone is one of the only pure asskicking pickups I've played with a bitchin' clean tone to match
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by forsaknazrael
You must like wank cleans, then. The Tone Zone has some awful ones.

You must have played it though an MG or Spider or something.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by forsaknazrael
^go away.

Pinch harmonics are way more dependent on technique than pickup model.

What's your amp's EQ? Those are both ceramic picups, IIRC - should be plenty aggressive.

Well, they sound better on my friends guitar on my amp, what EQ do you use?
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
I forget what I have my amps EQ at, but I think its like treble-10 mid-6-8 and bass-7-9 for most stuff
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
get some Kramer Quadrails. They're inexpensive, and they have searing tone. Seriously, they kick ass.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's a Mesa - there's a lot more controls on it than that.

I know that, but I dont remember what presence and gain are at
Quote by rokknrollldude

Quote by AllUrBase
Page 1 of 2