Alright, I was at Guitar Center the other day and found a sale on seven string pick ups and thought to myself "Hmm, I have noticed that power chords on the lowest string don't always sound that great with my stock Schecter Omen 7 pups", so of course I quickly bought an EMG 707 after explaining my situation to the guy behind the counter, who was also very quick to convince me I NEEDED one. SO now I have this active pickup and have some basic questions about itself as well as its installation.
First off:
Is it better to install the thing now, or wait until I have another active pickup, since the instructions in the pamphlet that came with the pickup sounded like things would be trickier if I was mixing passive stock with active EMG?
Second:
If I were to install this one now, would it be simple enough to get a different brand of expanded string pikcups later to give me more of a variety of sound, since EMGs are great for metal, but not so much of a vintage tone?
Third:
I hope that part of the installation consists of taking off the pickup ?case? that my current stock pickups are already housed in because the EMG is way too big to fit in there.
Lastly:
What advice would you have for me if I were to perform the installation by myself, or with a neighbor who has the proper equipment, since I would like to avoid the fee of having a pro do it, but I have no previous guitar modding experience and have never soldered before? Also, anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a decent guide to the installation, like online, you know, with pictures and simple instructions and all?

I'm pretty much a noob at all this and didn't even plan on buying a pickup when I walked into the store today..... gullible consumer that I am.
Thanks in advance.
I have a solution to all your problems. Buy this book. It's called "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. It is damn near amazin, man. And it answers all of ur questions ever. Plus, you can get the answer quick stead of askin us and havin to w8 several hours. Cost me $22.95 plus tax.
I'm usin the instructions in it to fix the neck on my acoustic from the '70s. (I bought it used and finally now I've gotten sick of it.) Trust me, man. It's got all ya need.
Hmm, sounds like a good idea I suppose; I could probably learn a lot that way.

However, this website still exists, and people will still come here to ask questions... and I'm one of them, so while it's a good idea for me to go and seek out books, I would still be interested in what the rest of UG has to say about pickup installation.
He sold you only 1???? it's really complicated to mix passive and active. i would wait and get another one.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Yeah, I thought I was buying two, but he grabbed a different package from what I thought I was buying, and yeah, I'm sometimes a skittish consumer in the store, and I don't think things over enough. There were two boxes with EMG on the front that looked like the seven string pup variety, but I don't know if they were the same pickup as the one I got. I was interested in perhaps getting another brand altogether for the bridge pickup, perhaps, and was wondering what might be good to contrast the metaliscious EMG. Seymour? DiMarzio? I'm kinda ignorant on the various types, so if anyone could either explain the brands and their unique tonal personalities or send me to a page that does (I googled several things but couldn't get any relevant data) I'd be eternally grateful, and will write something for you on the B string.

EDIT:
I actually went to Guitarcenter.com and found a useful page of different 7 stringpickups, but because of the EMG I need something that is active, right? Does it have to have batteries, because I found an active Dimarzio neck pickup (since the 707 is bridge, I think) but it doesn't take batteries? This is really where I need help.
Last edited by IROn 5L1nKY at Oct 27, 2008,
Active means that it needs batteries to power the preamp so if it doesn't require batteries, it's passive. It is possible to wire a guitar with a mix of both passives and actives though, it will just be pretty complicated. My advice is to just get another emg
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
Yeah, I thought I was buying two, but he grabbed a different package from what I thought I was buying, and yeah, I'm sometimes a skittish consumer in the store, and I don't think things over enough. There were two boxes with EMG on the front that looked like the seven string pup variety, but I don't know if they were the same pickup as the one I got. I was interested in perhaps getting another brand altogether for the bridge pickup, perhaps, and was wondering what might be good to contrast the metaliscious EMG. Seymour? DiMarzio? I'm kinda ignorant on the various types, so if anyone could either explain the brands and their unique tonal personalities or send me to a page that does (I googled several things but couldn't get any relevant data) I'd be eternally grateful, and will write something for you on the B string.

EDIT:
I actually went to Guitarcenter.com and found a useful page of different 7 stringpickups, but because of the EMG I need something that is active, right? Does it have to have batteries, because I found an active Dimarzio neck pickup (since the 707 is bridge, I think) but it doesn't take batteries? This is really where I need help.

If it doesn't take batteries it's not active.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Alright, I know, I know, if they use batteries they're active, if they're active they use batteries, but that's not what the website said, so I'll just assume they didn't know what the hell they were talking about. However, I am still not very knowledgeable about seven string pickups and would appreciate some recommendations for an active pickup to counter balance the heavy metalness of the EMG 707 (a lead pup if the 707 is rhythm and vice versa-> next question->. I also would like to know if the 707 is a bridge pickup (which I think it is) and whether it is more of a rhythm or a lead pup, even though I know that it's mostly personal preference on that, going by the typical standards, which is it?
Last edited by IROn 5L1nKY at Oct 27, 2008,