Page 1 of 2
So I've been trying everything in my search for that amp, and I've gone through way too much money and resseling headache. UG I need your help! I am looking for a practical Tube amp (preferrably a combo or perhaps a smaller head) that can be used at reasonable Studio volumes and for pretty large performances. Here's the thing, and I know its a long shot, but I would really like it to have BOTH good Fender Style clear spanky cleans, and beautiful think, punchy, saturated distortion. i need it to be DURABLE, road tough, reliable, reasonably portable, and not weigh 100 freaking pounds. Thats the reason I have to get rid of the amp I'm using right now. Its an Egnater Tourmaster Combo and it sounds great, almost exactly what I'm looking for, but It weighs all of 95 pounds, and I just can't fit it on half the tour vans I go on...

The price ceiling for this amp I'm looking for would be around $1500. I'm open to anything at this point. I really just want to find that amp that will end my troubles. they say the ENGL Screamer combo is pretty versatile, but somehow I have a hard time buying that. The Hughes and Kettner statesman seems great, but I haven't heard any clips of it and it doesn't appear to have a standby switch... Carvins, Buddas, I don't even know what to look at. Oh Woe is me! Somebody help!!

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
Well, the Carvin Legacy is amazing, and the Hughes and Kettner Statesman is pretty sweet. There's actually clips of it on their website. The other Hughes and Kettner stuff is pretty great too, like the Switchblade. There's some nice clips of that too.
Maybe give the rebel a look, I didn't like it a lot, but many do and it's pretty much made to do what you want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Mesa roadster combo, do it! i dont know how much it weighs but they are AMAZING

Or an F-50 ? I know its only like $700-800 used but it does exactly what you want

edit: while i'm at it, go for a used Mark IV combo. or the head. The shorthead version is tiny. and its amazing. It has a tighter feel than the roadster. The roadster has rectifier distortion pretty much, and the mark has a very tight punchy kick your ass feel to it.
Last edited by injected at Oct 27, 2008,
Grow some balls, seriously, 100lbs is nothing. I've borrowed a 160lb 8x10 bass cab from a friend.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Inspiring words Cliff. Have you ever had to fit it in a single van along with an entire 7 piece band's gear, PA included? in the world of professional music, size and weight do matter as I'm sure anyone else here will tell you.

Light tube amp is an oxymoron.

Just saying.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Thank you so much everyone else for the useful advice.

Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Grow some balls, seriously, 100lbs is nothing. I've borrowed a 160lb 8x10 bass cab from a friend.

And here I thought my 50 lb Valveking was heavy...

Maybe TS should look into a Budda Superdrive 18? They're about 40 lbs and crankable.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Oct 27, 2008,
No tube amp is going to be as light as a practise amp. But there are certainly amps out there that are not unneccessarily bulky and heavy.

If you want a light amp, the combo part is your problem.

Get a head and a 2x12 cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Egnater tourmaster combo?
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Quote by les witty
Egnater tourmaster combo?

That's what he said he has...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd go with a super reverb and then add a master volume after the phase inverter and change the midrange pot from 10K to 25K. The mods are pretty basic and even if you can't do them yourself it shouldn't cost you more than about $50.00 to pay a tech to do it for you. While it's at the tech you might as well replace the crappy illinoise capacitors with some TAD or Sprauge caps. The 25K midrange pot will make it possible to get thick lead tone. The master volume will make it possible to record without shaking the windows, and replacing the caps will simply give you better tone. All this should be possible within your budget.
Not taking any online orders.
try the black pearl 30 from genz benz. it didnt have a bright fender clean, but it did have a regular fender clean sound to it, and i was able to get a crapload of other beautiful clean tones out of it. and when you turn up the volume and the master down, you can get some of the most beautiful distortion in the world. like, absolutely screamingly clear, thick, rich distortion.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The Black Pearl is great, so is the Hughes & Kettner Statesman.
Here's a small video: http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/cinema.php?p=4&id=23

The Budda Superdrive is a great amp too.
Try as many amps as you can, for 1500 $ I'm sure you'll get a nice amp.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'd go with a super reverb and then add a master volume after the phase inverter and change the midrange pot from 10K to 25K. The mods are pretty basic and even if you can't do them yourself it shouldn't cost you more than about $50.00 to pay a tech to do it for you. While it's at the tech you might as well replace the crappy illinoise capacitors with some TAD or Sprauge caps. The 25K midrange pot will make it possible to get thick lead tone. The master volume will make it possible to record without shaking the windows, and replacing the caps will simply give you better tone. All this should be possible within your budget.

This is very interesting, thank you Cord. But wouldn't a twin be lighter than the super and still have great cleans? The TS is concerned about overall weight. Edit: The twin is pretty heavy too I spose.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Mesa Blue Angel.
EVH 5150 III head
2x12 Cab
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I'm thinking about those new mesa express Combos now. Namely the 5:25. Has anyone tried one of those yet?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^used maybe. The head is $2,000 and not the lightest either.

One guy said to never buy the 5150 III used because they have broke down for a lot of people. I've read that 1 or 2 people have went through 4 of them.
Traynor YCS 50!

there's both a combo 1x12 version as well as a head version.

great cleans, good crunch and a good lead channel
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by monotony777
One guy said to never buy the 5150 III used because they have broke down for a lot of people. I've read that 1 or 2 people have went through 4 of them.

where?

do you have any links? The amp is made by Fender but it is a relatively new amp so anything is possible i guess.

Can you back that up tho and welcome to UG

did you try a peavey? classic 50 maybe? that paired with a kickass pedal and your set if its metal your looking to do... thats what my buddy has... put new tubes and speekers in it and your all set...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
Quote by affinity_strat
I'm thinking about those new mesa express Combos now. Namely the 5:25. Has anyone tried one of those yet?

Those are just the new line of amps to replace the F-series. I find them to be not as good as the original F-series, and they are a bit overpriced for what they are. They're good, but i'd go for an F-30 or F-50 still. They are cheaper and in lots of peoples opinions, better.
I've heard a lot of reliability issues with earlier 5150 IIIs, but I believe they've cleared them up on the newer models, I haven't heard anything bad lately.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I actually recently bought a Fender Supersonic combo over the Egnater combo, mainly for the clean channels, but all around it's a pretty solid amp. It has two different clean modes, both based on older Fender models, and the burn (drive) channel actually sounds quite good for a new Fender. You can get a pretty good range of tones with the dual gain stages and 3 band EQ, and it has a nice reverb. I'm not sure how much lighter it is than your Egnater, but it should be slightly smaller being a 1x12". It's rated at 60 watts, but you can get quite a bit of good breakup at lower volumes, so I'm planning on using it both in studio recording and live gigs.
Thats it. Looks like I'm gonna hae to grit my teeth and go for a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 1'12 Combo. Anyone know what the price is on those?

Quote by affinity_strat
Thats it. Looks like I'm gonna hae to grit my teeth and go for a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 1'12 Combo. Anyone know what the price is on those?

See sig.

I'd go used though, they lose a lot of value.

But if you're concerned about weight, I don't think you want a combo, at all. All tube combos are heavy as hell. Buy the head and a 2x12 cab, much easier to transport.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i also heard there was a reliability issue with the evh 5150 III. i think someone told me they were cheaply made in mexico.
Quote by kckyle
i also heard there was a reliability issue with the evh 5150 III. i think someone told me they were cheaply made in mexico.

I just spent an hour searching on this using google and searching on different word combinations and i couldn't find anything like that. Nor on HC or tehgearpage.

I would be shocked if Fender physically made this amp in Mexico. Hell, we have some UG'rs that own them - they would know.

I also found this which I hadn't seen before, linked from thegearpage.

nevermind - i'll stick in the Van Halen Tone thread that's up.

Good luck on getting your Lonestar affinity_strat!
Check out a Randall RM50. I was looking for a similar setup as you, and a Blackface and Ultra module combination works very well. It's only about 55 or so pounds; not that bad to transport at all.
+1 to lonestar. There's one on ebay now for 1200 buy it now, bit it only does the 50/100.

another on ebay, no buy it now, 2x12. it's about 1250 with 2 days left that does the 10/50/100. Both guys have 100% positive, but not many transactions.
Its not really weight so much as size that is my problem. Even the 95 pound amp I was nagging about wouldn't be so bad if it was small enough to carry on my own.

Quote by kumamilesbear
try the black pearl 30 from genz benz. it didnt have a bright fender clean, but it did have a regular fender clean sound to it, and i was able to get a crapload of other beautiful clean tones out of it. and when you turn up the volume and the master down, you can get some of the most beautiful distortion in the world. like, absolutely screamingly clear, thick, rich distortion.

This amp is top of my wish list at the moment, tried it the other day and was absolutely blown away it just sounded amazing.
Page 1 of 2