I'm not a total n00b, except in some aspects (this is one of them), but I'm still a "beginner"

I have a question about soloing. I'm halfway through watching this and for the solos that he's playing, he's all over the fretboard, while there are basic chords in the background, and it pretty much just confused me even more. I though that solos were mainly made up of the scale/chord/key of the rhythm.

So my question is, what is he doing, how did he come up with all those extra notes, and above all, what's the best way to play/write a solo?!

Sorry if this has been asked before, or if I'm just too dumb to understand.
what you're using as logic is major and/or minor scales. if you look up ONE key[e for example] there are many other types of scales, such as pentatonic and locrian. all he's doing is mixing and matching.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
Well, chances are he knows the scales he's usin so well that he can use it all over the fretboard. After all, there are only 12 notes. So, you find the notes that fit the scale and there are like 500 places you can find those notes. Marty knows this and he's makin use of it.
Quote by DarthKarth
what you're using as logic is major and/or minor scales. if you look up ONE key[e for example] there are many other types of scales, such as pentatonic and locrian. all he's doing is mixing and matching.

This is probably really bad not to know, but I'm not talking lessons, I'm basically teaching myself. How do I know what key each of the chords and scales are in? Is it something obvious? I've been trying to teach myself more theory and junk, but it's taking some time to sink in.
This is very general;

The key that the song is in corresponds with which scales you can solo in. Keys are compromised of a letter (for example A) and whether it's a major or minor (eg. A minor). Generally the key of the song doesn't change, and you can use the same scale to play over the song regardless of which chords are played. The key of a song usually the chord that the song ends on.

Each key has corresponding scales which you can solo in. For example you wouldn't use a B major scale if the key is in A minor. If you completely learn a scale, you can play it ANYWHERE on the fretboard, which allows you to go all over the neck. Additionally, because each key has MULTIPLE corresponding scales, you can switch between them as your skill, confidence and knowledge grows.

You want to learn these scales; they're the most popular ones to use.
- Minor Penatonic
- Major Penatonic
- Major
- Minor

There are a lot of different scales which give different sounds, and are well worth exploring once you become comfortable with them.
Quote by AlanHB
This is very general;

The key that the song is in corresponds with which scales you can solo in. Keys are compromised of a letter (for example A) and whether it's a major or minor (eg. A minor). Generally the key of the song doesn't change, and you can use the same scale to play over the song regardless of which chords are played. The key of a song usually the chord that the song ends on.

Each key has corresponding scales which you can solo in. For example you wouldn't use a B major scale if the key is in A minor. If you completely learn a scale, you can play it ANYWHERE on the fretboard, which allows you to go all over the neck. Additionally, because each key has MULTIPLE corresponding scales, you can switch between them as your skill, confidence and knowledge grows.

You want to learn these scales; they're the most popular ones to use.
- Minor Penatonic
- Major Penatonic
- Major
- Minor

There are a lot of different scales which give different sounds, and are well worth exploring once you become comfortable with them.

I learned those scales, plus the "blues" or "rock" scale, whatever you want to call it. I'm just not 100% clear on the key, and what it means. Like when I looked it up it said there was a C chord in the A key or something to that extent, and it just confused me. I'm just not sure what it means and how to figure out said keys. Like, I know how to find the A scales, but how do I know what chords are in each key?