[This post was for the Megadeth board, as I'd been promising clips of my WR1 for weeks, but figured some people here might like to hear a raw recording with no effects.]

Got stuck doing these at night, but figured I wouldn't have another chance for a couple weeks, so I just took first takes (AND played a little quieter than I'd say is ideal for the tone). I desperately need a short mic stand, as the mic (in a standard height stand) is literally leaning against the grill .

Sadly, Putfile seems to have morphed the sound a little bit, so any suggestions of where to upload the audio unaffected (without much hassle) would be appreciated.

All clips are guitar to amp (no effects) and have not in any way been fiddled with after recording (through Cubase LE 4 with one SM-57 connected to Presonus Firebox). This is a novice recording effort, and I admit the playing is a bit sloppy, but I blame that on my concern for the neighbors -- All the clips use the exact same settings on the lead channel (will post them upon request).

Anyway, first clip, I played an abbreviated intro to MoP and threw a blip of Sandman at the end (considering Metallica is the best known group that used this amp).

http://media.putfile.com/abbv-MoP-intro-on-Mesa-Mark-IV

Next track was just a mess of a few songs I threw together -- this track was done in real time (I did not play the songs seperately and bunch the tracks together).

http://media.putfile.com/test-medley-on-Mesa-Mark-IV

This was just a clip to hear the Seth Lover neck pup (unfortunately, to get Petrucci tone out of it means turning the amp up louder, but I can definitely hear the tone from the amp with a the neck pup at high volumes). The previous two clips were the nickel covered TB-10 (these were all done on my WR1). Considering Mustaine's SN, I figured this was suitable (let me know if you know what it is from).

http://media.putfile.com/Seth-Lover-...n-Mesa-Mark-IV
i want one so bad how much did it run?

oh and your last link is broken.
Last edited by injected at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by injected
i want one so bad how much did it run?

I've mentioned it on the forum before, but I got lucky with $1125 shipped off eBay (lucky considering I had lost other Mark IV auctions at over $1600).

Also a photo I've posted here before, but here is the amp, and the guitar I used in the clips is the silver one.

Last edited by 4regt4 at Oct 27, 2008,
Doesn't have nearly as much balls as mine did, are you using R2?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

As mentioned in the post, it is on the lead channel. Though it is intentionally set with less lows (in addition to using a TB-10 in the bridge). If the volume were set to where I think it finally starts to sound right, then it would have had more "balls", but as it was it was really loud for recording at night. Mic position makes a huge difference as well, and I know little about what I'm doing (even with the settings, it has plenty of balls in person).

It is no mystery as to how drastically the tone can be altered on the Mark IV, and this is the first setting I've gotten that sounds alright (not hard for it to be flubby or shrill with little adjustments).
Quote by 4regt4
As mentioned in the post, it is on the lead channel. Though it is intentionally set with less lows (in addition to using a TB-10 in the bridge). If the volume were set to where I think it finally starts to sound right, then it would have had more "balls", but as it was it was really loud for recording at night. Mic position makes a huge difference as well, and I know little about what I'm doing (even with the settings, it has plenty of balls in person).

It is no mystery as to how drastically the tone can be altered on the Mark IV, and this is the first setting I've gotten that sounds alright (not hard for it to be flubby or shrill with little adjustments).

Sorry, must've passed over the lead channel part.

I used to set my lows quite low on mine, setting them fairly high resulted in the amp being a little flubby. But, I never had any problem achieving good tones at low volumes, I thought the Mark IV was one of the best sounding amps at low volumes.

What are your settings? Here's what mine were, or close to it anyway:

Simul-Class, Harmonics, Pentode
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Those clips were done with the EQ set: -80- bottom of the slider touching the middle line (closer to where your 240 is set). -240- middle line. -750- all the way down. -2200- top of slider touching the middle line. -6600- in between the top and middle line.

Lead settings:

Gain: 5.1 [pulled]
Treble: 6.9
Bass: 3.1
Mid: 5.5
Drive: 4.9 [pulled]
Channel master: 3
Output: 2.5 (doesn't sound fantastic to me until 4, when the sound can clearly be heard beyond the neighbors houses [as my girlfriend informed me].
Presence: 4 [pushed]

Simul-class
Pentode
Harmonics
Full Power

EDIT: Having the 80hz slider much higher sounds terrible to me. I prefer an old school thrash tone, and figure that in a full band situation where a bass is recorded, that the bass will take over the lower frequencies.
If anyone cares, the last clip was from Mega Man 2 (first Dr. Wily stage). On the Megadeth boards, Dave goes by megaman.
I think the lack of balls was the gain really

it sounded really low gain to me.
Quote by injected
I think the lack of balls was the gain really

it sounded really low gain to me.

Gain sounds pretty high in person to me. Though moving the mic just a tiny bit could make it sound like no gain at all, or really farty depending on the position (can't figure out how to record anything like what I am hearing). This is an aspect I need to figure out, and until I get an actual recording mic stand, I won't really be able to get it positioned well to begin with. I also did only one track and only have one mic. I've read having a second mic makes a huge difference and obviously double or triple tracking is nearly always done with recordings, but I didn't have the option of making noise that long at the time I was doing them.

EDIT: Also, putfile seems to have added some weird farty echoed sound that I don't hear in the original files, so I don't know what the deal is with that.
It really sounds mediocre to me, but I am not really into that thrash tone and like more of a hardcore tone so that may be it
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by MatrixClaw

Those were my exact thoughts. Gain sounds too low.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.