ive heard from a few people that thay are. they dont look like they would. they have fixed bridges. thats why im confused/curious
because...

they aren't
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
G string does on Traditionals. Standards now have locking tuners. Some crao you can put on the nut at the g-string that will keep it from doing this. It s like carbon fibre or something. I will dg it out and let you knoe tomorrow. Too tired now.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Hey guys, he is talking bout Gibson and it is a eel documented fact that G-string on the ibsons without locking tuners has a difficult time maintaining tuning.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
he made it sound like all les pauls go out of tune.

my epi les paul ultra rarely went out of tune, and if it did, it was because of the temp
Yeah, if he is talking about epis, I would say the problem is with him, If he is talking bout Gibson Les Pauls and he play his guitar very hard with high g bends, then he need to coat the G string nut with that carbon fibre nut stuff.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
carbon fiber would be the stuff high end sports cars are made of, like sheets of cloth with resin

your talkin carbon
nah im not being specific. ive just heard bad things about their tuning stability which i am curious/skeptical about.
i dont have a LP im just curious.

well i think those replies answered my question anyways. thanks.
Quote by kaosfire
um, there not.

Actually they are known for tuning stability problems, its because of the headstock angle & where the tuners are placed. For example if you where to do a full bend, the string has a greater chance of getting cought on the nut. Changing the tuners wouldnt do alot in the tuning stibility, but changing the nut to a graphite nut & with the addition of the locking tuners would solve the tuning problem greatly. I have alot of experiance with les pauls, vintage gibson les pauls (everything up to 1989), epiphone, burny, tokai, greco, edwards, navigator, bacchus, & ibanez, they all have the same problem, some worse then others . As for a guitar never going out of tune is complete bull. every guitar will go out of tune.
I used to have a '97 Gibson LP Classic that I bought brand new and owned until early this year, and never had such a problem. Though we've all read that some point after that Gibson went downhill, so I dunno about new ones.
Quote by kaosfire
carbon fiber would be the stuff high end sports cars are made of, like sheets of cloth with resin

your talkin carbon

no.

Graphite. has a hardness of 1 on the Moh's scale of hardness and consists of only weak dispersion van der walls forces between carbon layers, thus giving it the greasy texture necessary for lubrication of the string.

I win?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Ehh my LP never goes out of tune with one exeption. It can go out of tune when I put it in my gigbag and walk to my bandrehersal in cold weather...
Quote by Deep*Kick
no.

Graphite. has a hardness of 1 on the Moh's scale of hardness and consists of only weak dispersion van der walls forces between carbon layers, thus giving it the greasy texture necessary for lubrication of the string.

I win?

Graphite=carbon but not carbon fiber.
Why?

This is why; Les Paul players are so busy lifting the guitar over their head and hitting it against stage floors, they forget to tune the bloody thing.

Seriously though, I've never heard of this problem. I get the feeling you've been misinformed my friend.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
my g string goes out of tune if i do alot of bends, at normal tunning its not to bad but if i drop down to play some guns n roses stuff it goes out of tune alot.
my epiphone stays in tune better than my gibson, my epiphone has grover tuners so that might have something to do with it
Quote by KISSARMYSOLDIER
mine never goes out of tune but my strat does all the time

whereas my strat never goes out of tune.

tuning stability differs from guitar to guitar regardless of what it is along with many other things, and the person who told you "les pauls are infamous for having crap tuning stability lol mine goes out of t00n all da timez!!!" probably didn't put his strings on properly or just has a crap one.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Tommy Walker
Graphite=carbon but not carbon fiber.

Haha, sorry. It was late, I did not feel like walking across the house and my brain does not work well after I have downed my Ambien for the night. Yeah, graphite. I do race cars so I guess I got carbon fiber on the brain.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
les pauls dont go out of tune often, especially with locking tuners. SGs are another story though. ive played some where i have to retune after 5 minutes of playing.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
my epi lp standard has trouble keeping the g and b strings in tune on big bends, I am going to change the tuners soon, so hopefully that will fix the problem.
Quote by in2thesun88
my epi lp standard has trouble keeping the g and b strings in tune on big bends, I am going to change the tuners soon, so hopefully that will fix the problem.

have you tried drawing in the nut grooves with a pencil? this can sometimes help without the need to get new tuners.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Two inexpensive things you can do to stabilize tuning on a guitar would be to:

1) Lubricate both the nut slots and saddles with graphite (either pencil graphite dust, or preferrably Big Bends Nut Sauce/Graphitall made specifically for that purpose). A large percentage of tuning issues occur because the strings bind at either the nut, or less frequently at the saddle. Doing this can also help reduce string breakage.

2) Learn to properly wind strings and stretch them when restringing your guitar. Using the method in the following link helps lock the string in place at the tuner and prevents the string from slipping.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

Provided the tuners are "ok," and the strings are stretched properly, the two things above would prevent most any tuning issues. I've had a number of guitars and I string them all in that fashion (even the slotted ones on my Fender), plus I lubricate all the bits that need it when I restring. Haven't had any tuning problems on any of them even with heavy bending or tremolo use, or even with a real cheap Walmart guitar.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Acoustic guitars have this problem a lot more than most electric guitars, so here's what I know.

The thing about LPs is that they have that bent headstock and a bent approach angle where the string sits in the nut slot. The D and G strings are subjected to the harshest angles of them all. This creates a lot of binding problems--the string gets caught in the slot and just sits there until some sort of force(either potential or physical force from playing the guitar or something) equalizes the pressure to normality. But yea... LPs will only have this problem if they don't have anything like a locking tuner, etc.

Acoustic guitars have these problems all the time. It occurs mainly when tuning up and down. The best solution is to use some graphite from a lead pencil or products like the Big Bends Nut Grease. From my experience, the graphite only works a little bit, but I've never tried it on an electric guitar. It may work better since the strings are smaller.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.