anyone have tips on repelling a cat from wanting to climb up an amps grill cloth? i have a spunky kitten who climbs up my Fender tube amps, and while she hasnt ripped them yet, i'd like to prevent it. anything scent wise i can put on the grill cloth that wont damage the fabric?
Think amp version of electric fence.

They will learn.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
There's sprays that smell very bad to cats, put some on the amp and they shouldn't go near it.

Provide your cat with a designated scratching toy, and they won't scratch other things. We have this ramp made out of corrugated cardboard, and the cat goes straight to that whenever it needs to scratch.

Also, scratching is a physiological need for cats, so try not to punish them for doing it. They just need better alternatives than your stuff.
just so you know, i have to kitties =)

it doesnt make cats any less of assholes.
my mother and sister have cats that like to scratch doorframes. To stop them, they put clear double sided tape where they like to scratch. They won't touch something sticky. Obviously you can't tape up your whole amp, but if it's a specific place the cat likes to climb?
i used to have a kitten that did this. i used to set up on top of it (something tall like a cup or a candle) which got in their way so they'd immediately jump down. and this worked for many things like my dresser, entertainment center, etc...

edit: i'd advise against putting anything in the cup if you use one just in case...

edit 2: and dont light the candle if you use one of those either. their hair tends to burn easy...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Wait for your cat to do it again. Have your amp on and waiting. Have it cranked. Your kitten will come and claw at the grill again.

Play an E power chord.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
up the grill cloth, was thinking vinegar on the cloth but im not sure if thats harmful to the cloth, or something orange smelling sense alot of cats hate citrus scented stuff.

maybe some lemon juice if you have any handy? i dont think its as acidic as vinegar and smells terrible... to me anyways...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
+1 on the electric fence lol

seriously though, i had a cat and all i did was get a plate of cardboard from a box and set it in front of the amp when i wasnt using it, and obviously the cat didnt do anything when i was. maybe something like a mirror or something more aestheticly pleasing than cardboard, and another scratching item would be what i'd do.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
maybe by a cover for your amp, you can get one for like £30 off teh ebayz, probably less annoying than spraying your amp with something smelly.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
anyone have tips on repelling a cat from wanting to climb up an amps grill cloth? i have a spunky kitten who climbs up my Fender tube amps, and while she hasnt ripped them yet, i'd like to prevent it. anything scent wise i can put on the grill cloth that wont damage the fabric?

I have the same problem...I play Fall Out Boy songs to keep them away.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

you love teh emo br00talz.

i like the cover suggestion.
they have little plastic nail tips, they sell at doctors foster and smith.
give the cat a good place to scratch like said,

and learn to love dogs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
This thread belongs in the pit IMO.

Cats + how to stop them =/= question/advice about guitar gear.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
well, i dont know, it sounded like a serious question to me, and it was already answered anyway.

i mean, no reason to go to the pit unless he wants to put icy hot on it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
One of those small squirt bottles with water everytime they start to do it nail em with it they will stop doing it.
Quote by jj1565
well, i dont know, it sounded like a serious question to me, and it was already answered anyway.

But, the pit may have helped a bit more.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
sorry if this might have been the wrong forum section, but it was a serious question lol, the sound of her climbing up the grill cloths sounds terrible. as if the fender amp could speak and say "Oh WHY!!! get it off! get it off of me! itss itsssss ITSS leaving Nail holes in ME!!!....is this because im a blues deluxe and i was made in mexico???"

on a serious note i just starting tossing bed sheets over the amps when im not using them, guess it gave it a boring look for her.

thanks for the help i do appreciate it.
seriously, wrap some tin foil around the base when you aren't using it. They hate it, judging from their reaction to it, touching it must be like the human equivalent of chewing on it. It works man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
just have the front paws declawed, he'll get over it.
That's what I did to my cat.
My amps and leather furniture thank me for it.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by jj1565

actually.......that could work.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣