For design and technology, a subject at school, I've chosen to make a custom 6 string case for my friends yamaha myung sig. Ill be uploading some pics and going through some of the process for anyone interested. Does anyone have any experience building cases? Any hints or tips or good materials that you may recommend? I've heard its quite a difficult task. Thanks.
what would it be made of? wood or aluminum? i've made a hardshell case for my RG and it fits nicely. i used some plywood, wood glue, nails, hinges, latches, steel corners, foam, some soft fabric and tolex. i had a hard time since i didn't use any power tools. i just used a saw, hammer, pencils and a ruler.

check these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemJQDkALcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemJQDkALcI
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by leviticus_22953
what would it be made of? wood or aluminum?

If he wants to lift it, neither of those.

I built a guitar case for my A level Design and Technology course work, so yes I can give you a bit of help and one very large point I learned after finishing. DON'T use wood or metal, you'll barely be able to lift it without suffering a strain after carrying it a few yards with a guitar inside.

Use fiberglass. You'll need to make a mould out of wood, since it'll be quick and easy to do. Use laminate wood for the edge of the case. To do this you'll need to make an initial mould. Get a huge slab of MDF and accurately mark out the profile of the case, just half of it, length ways. Cut along the line you've marked out so you have a guide for the laminate strips. Take long thin strips of wood, preferably balsa as it bends easily. Coat each strip in PVA wood glue and stick them together, while the glue is still wet and you have all the strips together, place them inside the mould, then slowly push it shut using some vices. Once you have it shut and the laminate wood is in shape, leave it to dry over night, you'll need to do this twice. Once its all dry, remove the laminate frame you'll now have and start again, so you have the other half.

Once you have both halves, measure where to cut each end evenly and glue them together, not straight on end to end, you'll need to use a finger joint, or something equally strong. After the frame is glued together, take another large slab of MDF and glue it to the frame, this will form the base. After drying, trim away any excess wood with a circular saw. Use a router to cut away the excess wood closer to the edge of the frame, and then use a router to smooth down the edges.

At this point, you should have a complete lid, or base, for your guitar case that's been made out of wood. This is just the mould for the fiberglass, which I imagine you'll have to order specially since schools don't tend to keep fiberglass lying around, even in the workshop. Your teacher should be able to help you with this. When you get to this stage, let me know and I'll talk you through applying the fiber glass, which once dry (you'll need a few coats as one coat of fiberglass is incredibly thin and quite flimsy, but still quite strong) will form the actual case.

Good luck!
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by Cathedral
If he wants to lift it, neither of those.

I built a guitar case for my A level Design and Technology course work, so yes I can give you a bit of help and one very large point I learned after finishing. DON'T use wood or metal, you'll barely be able to lift it without suffering a strain after carrying it a few yards with a guitar inside.

Use fiberglass. You'll need to make a mould out of wood, since it'll be quick and easy to do. Use laminate wood for the edge of the case. To do this you'll need to make an initial mould. Get a huge slab of MDF and accurately mark out the profile of the case, just half of it, length ways. Cut along the line you've marked out so you have a guide for the laminate strips. Take long thin strips of wood, preferably balsa as it bends easily. Coat each strip in PVA wood glue and stick them together, while the glue is still wet and you have all the strips together, place them inside the mould, then slowly push it shut using some vices. Once you have it shut and the laminate wood is in shape, leave it to dry over night, you'll need to do this twice. Once its all dry, remove the laminate frame you'll now have and start again, so you have the other half.

Once you have both halves, measure where to cut each end evenly and glue them together, not straight on end to end, you'll need to use a finger joint, or something equally strong. After the frame is glued together, take another large slab of MDF and glue it to the frame, this will form the base. After drying, trim away any excess wood with a circular saw. Use a router to cut away the excess wood closer to the edge of the frame, and then use a router to smooth down the edges.

At this point, you should have a complete lid, or base, for your guitar case that's been made out of wood. This is just the mould for the fiberglass, which I imagine you'll have to order specially since schools don't tend to keep fiberglass lying around, even in the workshop. Your teacher should be able to help you with this. When you get to this stage, let me know and I'll talk you through applying the fiber glass, which once dry (you'll need a few coats as one coat of fiberglass is incredibly thin and quite flimsy, but still quite strong) will form the actual case.

Good luck!

im sorry but WHAT?

plywood weights NOTHING
make an 1/8" ply shell, reinforce the corners with rubber, use foam for the inside.
i dont see a problem...
Quote by ChordMonger
im sorry but WHAT?

plywood weights NOTHING
make an 1/8" ply shell, reinforce the corners with rubber, use foam for the inside.
i dont see a problem...

Apart from the fact that its incredibly weak and couldn't handle a car driving over it? Fiberglass is much more stable than plywood and on top of that, will gain more marks for him than using some plywood on his project.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.