I can't find any instructional videos that go into detail about how to strum upwards. Any suggestions? I don't feel nearly as comfortable strumming upwards as I do downwards. I've been playing for 7 weeks and I guess I strummed downwards out the box because it's more natural. Now I find myself wanting to play 3 and 4 chord songs (finally learned about 10 chords) but can't get a decent sound out of an upward strum. I feel like my fingers/pick are/is coming up and going down on the string rather than up. Also, when I'm DOWNWARD strumming it feels easier to skip strings - say for example the D major chord, where I only hit the LAST 4 strings - than when i'm UPWARD strumming and having to ONLY hit the FIRST 4 strings. Any suggestions?

Also:

Are there any good videos that have strum pattern exercises - sort of something that would be equivelent to a drummers paradiddles?
Can't you just do a normal strumming exercise backwards? I dunno, I've never really had a problem with it.
You're*
The only real trick is to keep trying man. So long as your strumming mainly from your elbow and keeping a loose arm, it should be fine. It just takes some getting used to.
Not a huge fan of bees
yeah i know, its very hard, i can barely do it myself, but im practicing, and thats what you should do as well

good luck lol
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Just practice it a lot and you'll get the hang of it.

Sorry, no videos...I watched 2 on youtube but they were stupid...

Try learning this song though Its very easy and it'll help you with strumming.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Gelato
So long as your strumming mainly from your elbow and keeping a loose arm, it should be fine.

This is why guys like this have trouble. You don't want to strum from your elbow. That's only for show. You mainly want to strum by twisting your forearm. Doing this keeps you from getting tired, but it also makes you more accurate because your pick is now traveling in an arc, and you can control the shape of that arc with the angle of your wrist. Strumming at the elbow makes your pick travel in a straight line and skipping strings is much more difficult. It's not as big of a deal until you get into situations where you're both skipping big and little strings, only hitting a few in the middle.