Quote by soulflyV

E/B

e-0
B-0
G-1
D-2
A-2
E-x B is the bass note (lowest note here)

this is physically impossible, was it just an example or it's really meant to work?
i dont know how to read slashed chords and im quite interested but i think your definition is quite loose, do you mean the keynote as the lowest one? its possible to play a chord without having the keynote as the lowest note, and in such a case the result of the method you described would be completely different
Quote by swinghead
this is physically impossible, was it just an example or it's really meant to work?
i dont know how to read slashed chords and im quite interested but i think your definition is quite loose, do you mean the keynote as the lowest one? its possible to play a chord without having the keynote as the lowest note, and in such a case the result of the method you described would be completely different

It's not physically impossible, I think you just read it wrong.
My stuff:

ESP EX-50
SX Telecaster Replica
Jade 75 watt amp
15 Watt Mega-amp, lol.
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP50
Quote by swinghead

No it isn't; it's an E chord without the low E string...
Alternatively you could play E as a full barre shape on the 7th fret - that would give you the low note B.
Quote by AlanHB
Alternatively you could play E as a full barre shape on the 7th fret - that would give you the low note B.

but that would be a B chord... its not the same as playing an E chord without the low E note.
yeah, if i'm getting it right, that E/B example is impossible because on the E string B is up at the 7th fret... and I know my pinky can't stretch that far...

e:0
B:0
G:1 <------ whats the problem here?
D:2
A:2
E:7

Or am I totally misreading all of this?
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
I get it now, thanks to everybody! I was eagerly waiting for replies but the notice email from UG dindt get to me
Quote by TheBuddhistPalm
but that would be a B chord... its not the same as playing an E chord without the low E note.

?

E - 7
B - 9
G - 9
D - 9
A - 7
E - 7

That's not a B chord.....
Quote by AlanHB
?

E - 7
B - 9
G - 9
D - 9
A - 7
E - 7

That's not a B chord.....

I see... i thought you meant

e- 7
B- 7
G- 8
D- 9
A- 9
E- 7
On the example posted, if you leave off the E string, your bottom note is already a B, no need to try to do the impossible and hit the B on the E string on the 7th fret, even if you could do that then your bottom two notes are exactly the same, just in a different voice.

A good example of a slash chord is a D/F#. You're actually adding something instead of taking away. Basically you play a D chord, but then you wrap your thumb around and hit the F# on the second fret of the E string, changes the whole voice of the chord, sounds powerful, good for transitions.
Slash chords are just an indication of what the bassist is playing for example: G/D the guitarist will be just playing the chord G like you would normally while the bassist is playing the note D. This can clear any confusion that you think you might be playing the wrong chord because the bass part is different to what you are playing.
Quote by Yeti60
yeah, if i'm getting it right, that E/B example is impossible because on the E string B is up at the 7th fret... and I know my pinky can't stretch that far...

You misread it.

He had absolutely nothing tabbed out for the low E string. Just leave it out. In your tab there, you showed the exact same B note being played twice, on the E and A strings. No reason for that.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Yeti60

You don't need to stretch the pinky in order to hit the B on the E string.
Quote by soulflyV
e-0
B-0
G-1
D-2
A-2
E-x B is the bass note (lowest note here)
The 2nd fret of the A string is already a B and is the lowest note in that chord.