I took the chords from this site for violet hill by coldplay.
they are Bm, Em, G, A, F#m, D no in any order.

so how do i figure the scale of a song using just the chords...?
ok. so how did you do that...? as in I know scales n stuff. i just get confused as to how to go about figuring the scale of a song when u know the chords or the notes of a riff.. can you explain..?
Figuring out the 'key' of the song is usually done by looking at which notes are used.

If you look which notes make up the chords, you will find that the only sharps used are C and F. The circle of 5ths tells us that the key with 2 sharps is D major (or relative Bm)
Quote by ad4422
I took the chords from this site for violet hill by coldplay.
they are Bm, Em, G, A, F#m, D no in any order.

so how do i figure the scale of a song using just the chords...?

If you look at the major chords you will see two that are after each other G and A. then you will see one that is a fourth/fifth below chords - D. D is the root of the major scale they fit in.

The diatonic chords of a major scale are always I ii iii IV V vi viidim

See where the Major chords fall I IV V. And the minor chords are ii iii vi. The diminished chord is vii. So you look for patterns that fit. The chords you have shown all fit into the D major scale (or it's relative minor the B natural minor scale).

Another way you might work it out is that you can see there are six different root notes there.

If you put them in order from lowest to highest you get
Bm D Em F#m G A.

The only major scales that contain those notes are G major and D major. If you look at for example the A major chord contains the C# this rules out G major.

Either way works.

EDIT: But they won't tell you where the chords or melody resolves but will tell you the parent major scale.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Oct 27, 2008,
ok. understood thanks a lot.
@ 20 tiger - g major has A# not A. so g major will be ruled out anyway..