Alright, for my next amp I know I want at least one tube in it. I'm not sure how many, so to speak, is a good number though. I was thinking of getting either a Blackheart little giant head and hooking it up to a used cabinet off Craigslist, or getting a Vox AD30VT combo. The Vox has a model of the AC30, my favourite amp, but it's not fully tube, and 100% tube > 50% tube(albeit that solid-state half makes it somewhat more durable), plus I have an overdrive pedal(a fancy one too, a Tubescreamer, not a low-price knockoff), which really only sound good on tube.

On the other hand the Vox is self-contained, can sound like an AC30, and will likely be overall cheaper, plus it has less tubes(albeit just one EL84 less).

Total of the Vox is $250 for now, likely to be given a cab later. Total of the Blackheart is $320, $200 for the head, $120 for a used 4 x 12 off Craigslist, possibly less if I find the head used for less.

So, UG, which of the two?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 27, 2008,
The better question would be solid state vs tube. I would take a combo over a stack but tube over solid state so I'd go with the Blackheart, even though I am a Vox player (AC30).
The blackheart.

It kills the Vox in every aspect, except the fact that the Vox can do metal without a pedal, I'm guessing you play mainly blues - rock, by your sig and avatar, so the Blackheart would be right for you.
Alright then, so far it's 2-0. Quick question on tube amps though; Is it a good idea to use them to practice, or, since tubes can wear out, should it be just reserved for situations where larger amounts of volume than 30-SS watts are needed?

The single tube in the Vox is more of a gimmick if anything. If you want the tube sound, the Blackheart is the way to go. The Vox would be better if you can only play really quietly and want a lot of different sounds, but other than that, the Blackheart is a much better amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by necrosis1193
Alright then, so far it's 2-0. Quick question on tube amps though; Is it a good idea to use them to practice, or, since tubes can wear out, should it be just reserved for situations where larger amounts of volume than 30-SS watts are needed?

Even with regular usage, the tubes will last years. They're not terribly expensive to replace either.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Agreed. I don't know much about a Blackheart, but I own an AD30VT and its tones still scream solid state.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Alright then, I suppose the Blackheart it is. One last question though; how much of an improvement in sound can I expect once I plug my TS9 into the tube head rather than my current solid-state amp, besides the normal tube-vs-solid-state improvements?

An immense change, the Tubescreamer really makes my Blues Jr. scream. When cranked, I can start approaching that "Cream yourself by one note" tone.
Quote by grobbo91
The single tube in the Vox is more of a gimmick if anything. If you want the tube sound, the Blackheart is the way to go. The Vox would be better if you can only play really quietly and want a lot of different sounds, but other than that, the Blackheart is a much better amp.

they should be resererved for whenever you want to hear them, really.
and after having a vox AD30vt as well, ive gone tube and not really looked back. i dont know how much is the tube and/or the circuit of the vox that makes it decent, but that tube definitely does not give the amp that tube feel. there is one reason only that i still have my vox, and thats because i think its one of the best amps for extremely low volume practicing. and considering you have a decent tubescreamer already, you can use the tube amp for the majority of practice anyway.

+1 Blackheart vote
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Alright, thanks for all the help guys. Greatly appreciated. =)